Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(90 Posts)
12Michael Fri 30-Oct-20 06:12:45

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its dry but windy here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterday , I did start to get gift cards for Xmas , did my usual route into Bicester ,and came back direct .
Today a small shop , then bank later followed by take away fish & chips before settling down for the afternoon .
Take care ,
Mick

baubles Fri 30-Oct-20 08:11:37

Good morning Mick, morning all from a rather damp South Lanarkshire.

Well we escaped tier 4 by the skin of our teeth but that will be reviewed on daily basis so I’m keeping everything crossed that it stays that way.

I’m meeting a friend for coffee this afternoon which will be lovely, it’s good to see people face to face.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible, look after yourselves.

ginny Fri 30-Oct-20 08:13:46

Good Morning everyone. N. Bucks is dull and breezy just now.
At home today other than a hair appointment this afternoon.
I shall be on tenterhooks waiting for a phone call from DD 3 , hoping it is good news. Will keep myself busy with some baking and craft.
Healing wishes to all who are ill or have worries and hope everyone finds some ?today

Oldbutstilluseful Fri 30-Oct-20 08:17:31

Taichinan. ???

Gingster Fri 30-Oct-20 08:20:54

Good morning all. Dreary here AGAIN!

Visited my elderly SIL yesterday and took her in some shopping. Stayed to have a cuppa and chat, which we both enjoyed. She’s getting very feeble and only has a bit of help from her brother once a week. No one else seems to bother. Neighbours or family. Her gardener has deserted her and it’s dufficult for her to get to the docs or hairdressers. I’m not here all of the time, so I try to help out if I can. Feel very sorry for her. ?

* Maple-leaf* I too am making a start in the Christmas cake today and also preparing a beef stew for the slow cooker. Looking forward to that.

I went to our book club meeting last night as it’s held in a beach cafe with tables well spread out. Only 6 of us but it was fun and so nice to see people in the flesh. Zoom never seems to work.

What’s happened to Sheepandcattle? I was enjoying her tales of farm life. ???

Take care all and ‘count your blessings, name them one by one. ‘. (My mother’s favourite song). ?. ?

NannyJan53 Fri 30-Oct-20 08:21:49

Good Morning from another dull and grey Black Country. Those sunny days seem a long time ago now.

Woke late as the smoke alarm on the landing went off about 4am, no smoke! So reset it. Just drifting off and it went off again about 40 minutes later. It is one of those sealed units where you cannot change the battery and is supposed to last 5 years. Only bought it early last year. So off to buy one today with replaceable batteries I think.

Had a lovely lunch out with my friend for my belated birthday treat. Her birthday is in November, so I said to her it could be next summer before I can take you for lunch again. As we are in Tier 2 as from midnight tonight.

Meeting up with DD and 2 of my DGD's today, hopefully a walk round their village, then lunch in the local. Again, the last chance to do this for a while. I haven't actually been in their house since lockdown in March, and not hugged them either. I worry that I am sort of becoming detached from them all, especially the girls sad

Welcome Valels to this thread.

Pleased you had a good day Ashcombe despite not being together.

Wishing you all a good day, with special love and thoughts of Gilly

Susan56 Fri 30-Oct-20 08:23:44

Good morning fromShropshire.The rain has stopped for the moment but forecast to start again later.

A day at home today getting laundry and housework up to date before a busy week ahead.

Have a good day all and stay safe.

Pantglas2 Fri 30-Oct-20 08:24:27

Well it’s a good job I’m not posting a pic from north Wales this morning Taichinan.......damp, drizzly and so misty that my mountain has disappeared!

Reading all your posts it looks like I’m having a copycat day - fishnchips like Mick and making a few cards like GrandmaSue! Wish I was copying Urmstongran with her sunshine ?

Hope everyone has a good day and those with worries some peace x

Grandmabatty Fri 30-Oct-20 08:28:38

Good morning All. It's dry and cold in Polmont. We're in tier three so I'm meeting a friend for coffee at a local garden centre this morning. It'll be good to have a catch up. We had to book a time so I'd better not be late! I'm supposed to be going to Next this afternoon with mum, daughter and grandson but I'm so wary of shops. Dd, dgs and I were at the Range last Friday and it was so busy I felt claustrophobic. I hope everyone has a good day.

Taichinan Fri 30-Oct-20 08:31:21

Loving the winks Oldbutstilluseful!

Grandmafrench Fri 30-Oct-20 08:45:40

Good Morning everyone from Lockdown Land where warm sunshine is helping a little breeze to dry my ? laundry.

Did far too much garden work yesterday, so have developed an interesting walk this morning with some extra creaking of various joints thrown in!

Have decided to try ignoring lockdown here - so that we don’t get down in the dumps. Not hard because we’ve done so little this year that new restrictions will go over our heads. Yesterday was able to shout at the chimney sweep in his 10 minute blitz and clean, ‘you’re the first person in our living room since March!’ It’s true......every other occasion (not enough to get excited about) took place in our garden, so apart from a travel restriction - not being able to go out just for amusement, and not far - nothing changes really. We must just grin and bear it. As long as we’re all safe and well ...... no problem. (I shall, of course review this new accepting me as we reach Christmas week?.)

Hope Mr G comes home by the weekend, Grammaretto.
Wishing hard for all lovely Grans as you plod through these difficult times. Grab every little sunbeam you find and step outside and b r e a t h e .....you may see the end of Taichinan’s lovely rainbow has settled in your gardens.

Keep safe. Big French hugs ?????????

Greyduster Fri 30-Oct-20 08:53:04

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Dreary but dry in South Yorkshire this morning. I slept badly, woke up sneezing and eyes streaming. This is getting silly now. It’s winter FGS! DH is making a Christmas cake today. I have all the ingredients apart from ground cloves, but I have whole cloves so he will either have to put them in the pestle and mortar or hoof it down to the supermarket and buy some. As he always chooses to do things the hard way, it will be the former I expect. I am only in charge of lining the tin, so whatever happens after that will be nothing whatsoever to do with me?! Welcome Valels, and to one and all, stay safe and have the best day you can.

Kalu Fri 30-Oct-20 08:56:01

Good morning all from heavy looking skies in Glasgow . I must give my car a drive today and as I will be out, may have a look in to Sainsbury’s if it is quiet. A few bits to do in the garden will be done today as we are due a very stormy weekend, high winds and torrential rain will be keeping us indoors. Thankfully we have the weekend off!?

Hope all goes well for positive news with your phone call Marydoll ?
Thinking of you and you DH Grammaretto ?

Wishing all a good day whatever you are doing.
Haste ye back gilly

Anniebach Fri 30-Oct-20 08:57:49

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

NfkDumpling Fri 30-Oct-20 09:10:33

Morning Annie and All

Grey and breezy here in the north of Norfolk Need the lights are on. Nothing planned. Deep joy!

Nannytopsy Fri 30-Oct-20 09:14:01

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Grey but dry in Suffolk. We are just on our way home from X-ray- can I say the novelty of a dodgy knee has worn off! I hope the day is kind to everyone.

hollysteers Fri 30-Oct-20 09:27:39

Good morning Mick and acolytes. Another wet morning. How much rain do we need? New floor covering in kitchen and a new smell with it...it’s greyer than I expected (bloody grey everywhere at the moment) described as ‘Elephant’s Breath’ in one paint catalogue ? but it’s fresher and I’ll get used to it. I’ll match up some new tiles to it to soften the blow.
Exciting day, off to pick up a prescription, boxes for my new decluttering ventures and avocados.
Thoughts to the troubled ??

Georgesgran Fri 30-Oct-20 09:30:59

Good morning from Durham. It’s incredibly mild outside today. Smart meter installed yesterday - have left display in the garage - what I use, I need, but suppose it saves me reading the meters.
Got both DD2’s dogs here today so a bit of Bedlam - they’ll be going home tonight, for the weekend.
DH says he should be ok with the dogs later, so I might get a quick coffee in friend’s garden.

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

GrannySomerset Fri 30-Oct-20 09:31:55

Grey and windy and a trip to Tesco this morning. Shall spend the afternoon doing not a lot (again) because there is nothing essential and I haven’t the energy to do anything which isn’t. Hope Marydoll has a helpful consultation and that the day is as we wish for the rest of us.

Kalu Fri 30-Oct-20 09:43:35

The sky has cleared and we now have a beautiful sunny morning. Hope it sticks around for a while. ?

Lovely to hear you had such a good day yesterday Ashcombe. What a lovely sentiment to share.

harrigran Fri 30-Oct-20 09:46:28

Good morning from an overcast but dry NE.
We drove 45 minutes to DS and DIL's house to leave a meal for them and some Halloween sweets for GC.
We stood on the front drive with our masks on and they remained in their hall.
Youngest GD has grown several inches since I last saw her and has lost her puppy fat. She changed schools for year 6 and plays hockey and does cross country running so gets lots of exercise.
GD told us she was now playing violin in the orchestra and was continuing with her piano tuition, I am relieved as everything seemed to fall by the wayside during lockdown.
Eldest GD appeared dressed as if she was on the catwalk, hair done and probably make up as well, oh to be fifteen again

Taichinan Fri 30-Oct-20 09:50:10

So sorry about your total lockdown again Grandmafrench. It's being threatened for Scotland too, if we don't behave! I'm not sure who the "we" is, but I know I'm being a good wee soul already! Let's keep on with the positive thinking ??

Marydoll Fri 30-Oct-20 09:50:43

You are indeed correct, Kalu! However, it's really windy.?

I've just had my telephone consultation with my consultant, lovely man that he is. Very positive, but he is referring me to orthopaedics, as he thinks I need a hip replacement and despite my injections, I have to stay on the other RA drugs. I was hoping to come off some of them.
It was just good to talk to someoneone about my worries.

He has however, told me I can go nowhere, too risky! So you say I'm in total lockdown, no contact with people!!! sad

Urmstongran Fri 30-Oct-20 10:06:44

Sun’s up here!
?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ?

We are having cafe sombras in Juan’s and waiting for breakfast so I’ve just posted before reading all your posts.

We strolled into Torremolinos yesterday. Enjoyed lunch at a busy restaurant, sat on the terrace in the shade. Must have been 20 diners & we were the only British. Delicious food with a contemporary twist.

One item on the menu made me smile. In translation it said ‘octopus leg over potatoes’. Erm, no thanks! I chose cod with grilled red peppers and cheese potato. Himself close an Iberico ham dish.

We have no plans for today so will just see how the day unfolds. Tomorrow it’s our 6 years anniversary of retirement and we plan cocktails & dinner down on the marina to celebrate!

Hope Friday (miss you gillybob) is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Gelisajams Fri 30-Oct-20 10:16:04

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it is actually not raining although rather sodden. We have had a crazy amount of rain this week. I’m deliberating weather to garden this afternoon or leave it until it dries a little. The Canal Trust were up and about early strimming behind our hedge. They come just once a year and don’t care or look what they are doing. We have planted a row of hawthorn saplings to thicken up the old hedge and fill some gaps. Despite protecting them with a little wicker barrier they looked to demolish it! We will inspect the damage later.
Greyduster I have sympathy with the streaming and itchy eyes. I have the same problem and can’t work out what’s causing it. I wondered if it was ivy flowers as there is a lot round here, but it’s been so wet any pollen has surely drowned!I decided only this morning I will try changing my pillow. I haven’t had this problem for years and thought I’d “grown” out of it.
I must think about making a Christmas cake this year. I have never made one before. DH loves it and always enjoys eating some when we visit other people. As it looks like we won’t be visiting anyone this year I shall make him one. If anyone has a foolproof recipe it would be appreciated!
Take care and say safe everyone ?

Lins1066 Fri 30-Oct-20 10:22:18

Good Morning Mick and all. It is wet, windy and miserable here on the S Welsh coast. Summer is becoming a distant memory. Did domestic chores yesterday so hoping for an easier time of it today.
Welcome Valels
Mr Lins took the puppy for a walk earlier, they are intrepid. I suspect they will be drying out for some time.
Wishing everyone as pleasant a day as possible.