Gransnet forums

Chat

Sean Connery

(109 Posts)
Kalu Sat 31-Oct-20 12:32:06

I have just heard the very sad news, Sean Connery has died.

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 11:37:13

No but you said previously it was linked to his age and class. I disagree. My grandad and those of his age would be much older than SC and would not have hit a woman. Actually I wonder if there is any data on class and domestic violence. I am not aware of any but there may be. I am glad that forums like MN and GN exist as it gives people a chance to discuss male violence. Its very rarely being mentioned on the twitter threads I have seen.

Shortlegs Sun 01-Nov-20 11:44:46

The only James Bond.

paddyanne Sun 01-Nov-20 11:53:40

Galaxy in poor areas of Glasgow I know for fact that Fridays were for getting drunk and beating your wife if she dared object....or for asking for the wages just spent in the pub.It was very common in the late 18hundreds early 1900's .My great Granny left her husband of more than 20 years after such a beating ...one too many as she had my granny newly born.It was so normal she had accepted it for years;

You have to remember that it was different times and that women essentially "belonged" to thier husbands .When my GP's married they used to take in battered wives and try to find them somewhere to get away as gg had done.My Granny was a suffragette ,she was arrested at a demo for knocking off a policemans hat ,the sheriff told my GF to take her home and make sure she behaved ,take what you will from that!
Chastisement of wives and children was normal right up to and beyond the time Sean Connery was born in the poor part of Edinburgh where he grew up.
We live what we learn in MOST CASES ,he may well have believed that was how things should be.Hopefully with age and different social contacts he realised it wasn't right .
I never liked the Bond books or films .I didn't rate him as an actor ,I do applaud his success ,from such a lowly start .
For the poster who questioned his paying tax,he did and on one occasion proved it .He also set up an Educational Trust in Scotland with his fees from one of the Bond movies and contributed to it throughout his life.That helped thousands of young Scots get the education he himself lacked as he had to leave school at 13 .
He was charming and he did love his country and he will be missed by many here who knew and loved him .

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 12:14:05

Can I say as well that there is still in working class areas a concept that a boy has to learn to fight and musn't be soft (which given the level of violence they sometimes encounter is understandable in a way). Having seen mothers standing outside a school gate holding their sons' coats while the two boys 'settled things', and learning from a young mum that other mothers were giving her a hard time because she hugged and kissed her son (he was 5) I know some women actively encourage this.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Nov-20 12:47:57

Please please never compare working class men with violence against women that’s really does my head in I come from working class my dad my grandads were gentle.....men and many a violent man has come from the upper crusts
trisher please stop making excuses for violence to women

Why are some people excusing this man he was at least middle aged or more when he made that statement that is on tube (he has an almost American accent) what happened in the ‘olden days ’ is no excuse for that type of thing to happen now

I cant believe what I m reading on here to be honest

paddyanne Sun 01-Nov-20 12:50:42

Just to add,we ALL are flawed ,it would be a very sad world if one flaw and admission of t affected not only all our own lives but how we were viewed by everyone else .
Nice to see so many perfect folk on here though !

moggie57 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:59:52

He nade a good king arthur

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 13:00:53

Thankyou bluebelle that expresses it perfectly for me.
Except that on the whole this thread has heartened me as there are many people pointing out the violence which isnt happening elsewhere on the internet.

BlueSky Sun 01-Nov-20 13:02:17

Paddyanne
“Nice to see so many perfect folk on here though !”
Agree!

Daisend1 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:18:26

Pantglas2
The eyes would say it all..Who needs words wink?

Mollygo Sun 01-Nov-20 13:38:26

My favourite Bond. I’m not a great Nond film fan, but he made it worthwhile having to watch it, where some of the other Bonds were an excuse to do jigsaws instead.

Jane10 Sun 01-Nov-20 13:43:25

Just because most of us don't hit others doesn't make us perfect. Sean Connery was a film 'star' not a great actor nor necessarily a wonderful person. He was 90. He had a good innings. As a 'professional Scot' he chose to live elsewhere. Nuff said.

Riggie Sun 01-Nov-20 13:48:57

Always sad when someone dies although I was never a fan really. He had some good roles but watching a montage of his films on the tv news last night confirmed that he just played himself in all of them!!

4allweknow Sun 01-Nov-20 14:07:22

No other Bond matched Sir Sean. Looks, voice, presence, he had them all in those films.

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 14:12:19

Sean Connery for an actor was a private person. I object to anyone male or female being condemned because of one speech on a talk show or one failed marriage. So all those accusing me of condoning violence can just get stuffed. I simply know what happened in some working class families, what still happens in many, and the reality of how women contribute towards it. If you have taught a boy from the earliest years that he has to be hard you shouldn't be surprised if he is unable to adjust his thinking when it comes to women. (Although actually some men do). Or if it takes him some time to change the habits he has been taught in childhood.
As has been said his support for Scotland remained strong throughout his life. Perhaps he chose not to live there and pay taxes because his money would be taken by the Westminster government and he preferred it to go directly to Scotland.

Anniebach Sun 01-Nov-20 14:23:22

It’s the woman’s fault trisher ?

Jane10 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:25:50

Trisher he made much of his 'Scottishness' but didn't bother to even come here much. It was just PR spin. Not impressed.

Riverwalk Sun 01-Nov-20 14:28:38

and the reality of how women contribute towards it

shock

Harris27 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:30:23

Even my son text me with the news saying he was one of his favourite actors.

Maidmarion Sun 01-Nov-20 14:34:17

He stayed at my house in 1963. I lived in a pub which did B and B and he stayed the night, supping whiskey with my dad (also a Scot) until the early hours! It was just before Dr.No came to our local cinema so we didn’t appreciate his ‘star quality’ at that time lol

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 14:36:22

Dear god trisher.

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 14:40:17

She made me do it. Said every mra always. Cracking job on the feminism though.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Nov-20 14:46:56

I m so glad you are so sure it only happens in working class families trisher
I m going to leave this thread now I ve said enough and I m getting cross and I don’t need to get cross on a Sunday afternoon
If you choose to excuse it and ignore it and wrongly make out it only happens in one bit of society I feel sorry for your closed eyes
I ll leave you with trisher s classic
“and the reality of how women contribute towards it” and there we have it folks
Enjoy your hero

Anniebach Sun 01-Nov-20 14:59:03

‘she asked for it ‘ ? ?

paddyanne Sun 01-Nov-20 15:09:06

I only pinponted working class abuse because it was what I heard of from my GM ,she didn't work with women from any other backgrounds and it was women whose hubands worked in factories and shipyards who hit their wives that my GP helped.I know it happened and still happens in other walks of life .even now .
The women they worked with were in the main uneducated and didn't expect anything else ,they had no say in any part of their lives and chastisement for overstepping their "place" was the norm .I'm sure there are well documented cases of this and I know there were very basic refuges for women in Glasgow.In fact I remember seeing photographs of the poor sould in one refuge which was little more than a hovel .
I have never excused wife beating ,just explianed it was learned behaviour .
Surely Jane 10 there are millions of Scots living in other countries who still love Scotland ,even some on here .They may have left because they had no choice for work or relationships or because their parents took them when they went.Doens't diminish their feelings about being a Scot one little bit.There are many IN Scotland who are happy to be ruled by English based parties are we to imagine their feelings are more relevant ?