Gransnet forums

Chat

Sean Connery

(109 Posts)
Kalu Sat 31-Oct-20 12:32:06

I have just heard the very sad news, Sean Connery has died.

Jane10 Sat 31-Oct-20 22:14:23

He was never my favourite for reasons previously stated. Another fervent Scot who loved Scotland so much he couldn't bear to actually live here.

annodomini Sat 31-Oct-20 22:20:19

He WAS Bond!

FoghornLeghorn Sun 01-Nov-20 00:34:00

I can’t feel sad about the death of a man who believed it acceptable to slap a woman if she ‘insisted on having the last word’.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 01-Nov-20 00:36:42

Kalu

Today we are saddened by the death of a screen idol BlueBell.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread on his imperfections as we are not discussing ‘the person’ as such.

Imo the two can’t be separated.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 01-Nov-20 00:38:42

trisher

I think he had the sort of sense of humour which enjoyed causing upset and shocking interviewers. Did he believe what he said? I'm not sure, he was after all an actor.

I’m afraid I can see nothing funny about a man advocating giving women a good slap to shut them up.

Bigred18 Sun 01-Nov-20 02:06:12

My late neighbour here in Sydney was Sean's boss at the dairy in Edinburgh when they were both milkmen!!

BlueBelle Sun 01-Nov-20 07:51:20

Did he believe what he said? I'm not sure, he was after all an actor.
trisher his first wife left him because of being beaten by him she’s written a book in which this appears Now of course none of us knows what goes on behind close doors and perhaps she made it all up ?? But if you add her account, to his OWN account that advocated ‘slapping’ a woman is ok if she’s annoying and if it’s done with an open hand not a fist maybe just maybe you err down on the side that he was a bully and the way he sees no wrong in it makes him an arrogant bully and not the perfect role model people seem to adore

PamelaJ1 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:56:30

Jane10

He was never my favourite for reasons previously stated. Another fervent Scot who loved Scotland so much he couldn't bear to actually live here.

As a sassenach I didn’t feel I should mention that fact so am glad you did Jane.
It always irritates me that those who are so passionate about their home and roots like to live and pay their taxes elsewhere.
That’s if they pay any at all.
As for his abilities as an actor, did he ever manage an accent? Well one that wasn’t his own.

Indigoblue Sun 01-Nov-20 10:29:27

For me, the world is a slightly dark place, he was my girlhood hero.

Craftycat Sun 01-Nov-20 10:31:12

The only Bond worth watching! I had such a crush on him.
That voice & those eyes.
A great pity but he lived to a good age & seemed to have enjoyed his latter years.
RIP Mr Bond.

Spookwriter23 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:36:16

I so all the James bonds with Sean Connery, the best r I p, you'll be sadly missed

Froglady Sun 01-Nov-20 10:36:44

The best Bond of all of them.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Nov-20 10:38:19

It's a No from me because of his own admission of abuse.

missdeke Sun 01-Nov-20 10:40:34

As someone who detests Bond films I hope they show some of his other stuff instead, absolutely loved him in Highlander.

As to slapping women, if it is true, then it's inexcusable but also a product of his age and upbringing, he just never learnt to change. Sad really.

12Michael Sun 01-Nov-20 10:41:12

Used to enjoy his films as got older his parts got better , and have seen some of his before Bond films on talking pictures .
Stand out films are Untouchables , India Jones .
Mick

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:44:25

On the day of the Glenfiddich solo piping championships too, dreadful day for Scots Nationalists

Moggycuddler Sun 01-Nov-20 10:56:29

Could never get past the fact that he said (more than once) that it was ok for men to slap women if they misbehaved. And that he was abusive to his first wife , mentally and physically. Can't forget those things because of a nice voice and Bond -which I never liked. Sexist crap that made me cringe.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 01-Nov-20 11:03:18

Nasty man. Never a Bond fan either so I won't miss him at all.

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 11:03:33

FoghornLeghorn

trisher

I think he had the sort of sense of humour which enjoyed causing upset and shocking interviewers. Did he believe what he said? I'm not sure, he was after all an actor.

I’m afraid I can see nothing funny about a man advocating giving women a good slap to shut them up.

Maybe it's a working class thing. My grandfather a confirmed communist loved to say something really right wing and watch others tying themselves up in knots arguing about it. It's called irony by the way. I think it's much more refreshing than a man who bursts into tears and pretends he is sorry. His second marriage lasted 45 years, so perhaps he was just being controversial.

Galaxy Sun 01-Nov-20 11:06:41

Nope not a working class thing my grandad and those like him managed to never hit a woman and thought that behaviour was appalling.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:21:23

Definitely the Best Bond. R.I.P.

Kim19 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:25:10

Certainly gave me a few lovely heart flips in my day. Thanks Sean.

hollysteers Sun 01-Nov-20 11:27:23

RIP but not one of my favourites, too ‘masculine’ for me and I imagine quite a boring man ; golf?
I’m always fixated by his toupee? My tastes in male stars often run counter to the main trend, Bill Nighy (when younger) Jeremy Irons, not effeminate men, but gentler.
I had a violent father so maybe I sensed that about him.

trisher Sun 01-Nov-20 11:27:31

I didn't mean the hitting Galaxy I meant the response to a questioner that isn't the expected one (I thought that was obvious).

grandtanteJE65 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:35:50

I always preferred him in his later roles.

He was wonderful in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Sad news, but not totally unexpected. 90 is a good age after all.