Gransnet forums

Chat

Panic Buying

(132 Posts)
Shropshirelass Sun 01-Nov-20 09:09:43

Here we go again, lockdown is only for four weeks, shops remain open and no shortage of goods. After lockdown it will be restrictions in localised areas. So why oh why has panic buying started again already? Stocking up on toilet rolls - strange panic buy before, obviously mentality hasn’t changed.

pamdixon Sun 01-Nov-20 11:08:38

I popped into Sainsbury's y'day (not panic buying I hasten to add!) and by the time I came out there was an immensely long queue. People just don't know what to do for the best........
I did notice people buying vast quantities of loo paper though and those shelves were pretty bare.

GreyKnitter Sun 01-Nov-20 11:09:24

We haven’t been to a supermarket since before the last lockdown and get our deliveries from Tesco, meat from the local butcher and fruit and veg from the local farm shop. Don’t think we’ll be panic buying but I do feel especially sorry those those who have specific food items they need for intolerance/allergy diets and which become unavailable due to others bulk buying.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Nov-20 11:10:29

That won't surprise me Maltagozo.

GagaJo Sun 01-Nov-20 11:11:28

I've secured grocery deliveries for DD up to Christmas. At least with a weekly delivery I know I don't need to worry about them.

The online ordering definitely has limits in place. Not that she needs to over-order, but it wouldn't be possible even if she did want to.

Jillybird Sun 01-Nov-20 11:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Saggi Sun 01-Nov-20 11:14:02

I went into Sainsbury’s yesterday at 11 in morning ....customers were conspicuous by their absence.

Rufus2 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:19:00

Oh and learn to use less paper each time
Theoddbird; this raises the age-old question!.
Are you a "Cruncher" (bad), or a "Folder" (good)? grin
OoRoo

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 01-Nov-20 11:20:15

Our bathroom tap has just decided it won't turn off and needs a replacement washer. In the meantime we've had to turn off the water in the house (no loo etc). Just taken DH to B&Q - guess what - queuing round the block to get in....

grandtanteJE65 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:33:15

You can do without toilet paper, although it is inadvisable to flush newspaper down the toilet.

You can however wipe yourself with it, then throw it out carefully wrapped in the bin, just as we did with sanitary towels.

Panic buying is stupid and inconsiderate and is only making a difficult time more difficult.

GillT57 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:39:49

I always have a good stock of loo paper anyway so no worries there, and I certainly will not be using newspaper and throwing it in a bin, yuk. We have had a Brexit stock cupboard for a while anyway, because that is when we will have shortages, of that there is no doubt.

Shortlegs Sun 01-Nov-20 11:43:47

Mr Starmer is obviously very keen to help out during the pandemic. I would, therefore, suggest that if it appears that the nation is running short of toilet paper, he donates paper copies of the Labour Party manifesto along with his campaign speeches.

Cabbie21 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:57:41

I had a phone call from my hairdresser this morning. I have an appointment this coming Thursday when they will obviously be shut, so they were offering me one on Tuesday. I turned it down, not wanting to take the risk.
I don’t understand why some people are stocking up so much when we should be going out as little as possible.
I shall however, be going into a shop to buy toothpaste and other things I am about to run out of. I don’t call that panic buying.

homefarm Sun 01-Nov-20 12:00:13

Hear, Hear Story49,
I've had a Sainsburys account for years and agree with everything you say and no, no need to stockpile the majority of us will not starve.
Let's make sure that there is enough in the shops for all.

Greciangirl Sun 01-Nov-20 12:01:04

Supermarkets must put a limit on toilet rolls etc.
One large pack per person.
They didn’t do it last time and it seems they not doing it this time.
Leah50. Absolutely disgusted with the chap in your supermarket queue bagging all those toilet rolls.
I bet he wasn’t asked to put some back.

Lupin Sun 01-Nov-20 12:01:10

The media fuel panic buying. I hope the supermarkets are not allowing people to overbuy, and put limits on items.

Bijou Sun 01-Nov-20 12:01:20

Since I had anal cancer I need quite a lot of toilet paper but do wash down there as well.
I remember that when I was little we didn’t use toilet paper if we just did a wee. The stiff shiny stuff we had in those days wouldn’t help any way.

Knittynatter Sun 01-Nov-20 12:09:27

grandtanteJE65

You can do without toilet paper, although it is inadvisable to flush newspaper down the toilet.

You can however wipe yourself with it, then throw it out carefully wrapped in the bin, just as we did with sanitary towels.

Panic buying is stupid and inconsiderate and is only making a difficult time more difficult.

Newspaper??? I’ve not bought one of those for years... ?

Hetty58 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:15:53

Mercure, I can't understand the 'stocking up for Christmas' concept, even usually, as it's just a few days.

Surely, there should be less of it, this year, with fewer large family gatherings planned? Still, shopping trends just aren't logical. Any problem - panic buying is the answer, apparently!

Rufus2, when this house had a serious infestation of children, loo rolls mysteriously disappeared almost overnight.

Back then (apart from buying the 24 roll packs) I'd habitually squash the roll flat before putting it on the holder, to stop them pulling yards off effortlessly!

WoodLane7 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:15:54

If shops step in and impose limits there should be no issues; they were too late to respond previously, but they will hopefully put into practice lessons learned from last time....

micky987 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:27:31

^^FannyCornforth I completely agree.

Patticake123 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:34:00

I walked to Waitrose yesterday afternoon with the intention of buying a newspaper. The queues were around the block and people were leaving the shop with trolley piled high. Needless to say, I didn’t get a newspaper yesterday! I am totally confused by the mentality of some people.

Summerlove Sun 01-Nov-20 12:35:32

We’ve had months knowing that another lockdown was likely

Panic buying at this point is overkill, those who can afford it would have been better off getting a little extra each week

hollysteers Sun 01-Nov-20 12:43:54

Supermarket shopping on a sabbath! Utterly disgraceful, All Hallows too.?
Seriously, how much food do people need? No wonder we have an obesity problem.
Hetty58 great idea for loo rolls, I’m going to do that, just for myself.

Daisend1 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:51:38

I was able to shop at my local Tesco at nine am yesterday in comfort, no panic buying. Today my friend tried to do her shopping and gave up as according to her it was mayhem.

Joesoap Sun 01-Nov-20 12:53:28

Oh dear, as somebody else said " here we go again", this lock down is for four weeks only there is no need to panic buy for anything, shops have plenty of warning to stock up and hopefully they will have a system to make people buy less not more than they need.