Gransnet forums

Chat

Panic Buying

(131 Posts)
Shropshirelass Sun 01-Nov-20 09:09:43

Here we go again, lockdown is only for four weeks, shops remain open and no shortage of goods. After lockdown it will be restrictions in localised areas. So why oh why has panic buying started again already? Stocking up on toilet rolls - strange panic buy before, obviously mentality hasn’t changed.

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Nov-20 09:16:59

I shopped in Waitrose yesterday afternoon and there was no sign of panic buying. Usual number of customers and the shelves were well stocked.

Shropshirelass Sun 01-Nov-20 09:18:27

It is on the news thread on Yahoo this morning. Panic buying and queues, rush for emergency hair appointments.

FannyCornforth Sun 01-Nov-20 09:22:42

It's all a self fulfilling prophesy.
Talk of panic buying fuels panic buying ad nauseum.

BlueSky Sun 01-Nov-20 09:29:24

This sort of news causes panic buying! The first time it was indefinitely now it’s only for four weeks and we know the shelves are restocked quickly. Obviously if you became ill you would be unable to even call in your local corner shop for toilet paper. You could do without a lot of things but not loo rolls, so there could be some sense in this madness!

GagaJo Sun 01-Nov-20 09:31:21

I agree no need to panic buy for lockdown.

Brexit is another matter. If I were in the UK, I would definitely panic buy for that. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

travelsafar Sun 01-Nov-20 09:33:54

My only form of 'panic buying' will be the fact i have a hairdresser appointment on Thursday I will ring first thing Monday morning to see if she can fit me in before then, only want a finge trim so will be in and out in 10mins, so fingers crossed she can. smile

Lupatria Sun 01-Nov-20 10:22:50

my lovely hairdresser rang me last night to tell me that she's calling in all her staff for the next few days and that the appointments my friend and i made for friday afternoon will be done late this afternoon.
so glad she's done this - it shows that they care about their customers.
and there will be prosecco!!

Mapleleaf Sun 01-Nov-20 10:25:04

I'm afraid social media encourages this kind of nonsense, and there's absolutely no need for it. I think it's immoral that the idea to panic buy is put into people's heads, and more immoral that they then go ahead and do it. I think if it rears its ugly head again, then supermarkets should have a duty to make people put excessive amounts back.

Mapleleaf Sun 01-Nov-20 10:25:58

Scaremongering about Brexit isn't helpful, either ?

nahsma Sun 01-Nov-20 10:32:53

Mapleleaf It isn't scaremongering. If the CBI, NFU, BCC, etc, are saying there will be shortages and price increases, I'm inclined to believe them

Mercure Sun 01-Nov-20 10:34:17

End of the line for the 'booze cruise' too after January. The allowances are better than before though..
"New GB inbound personal allowances specified below. For example, someone will be able to bring three crates of beer, two cases of still wine and one case of sparkling wine to GB without paying UK duties.

Alcohol
42 litres of beer
18 litres of still wine
4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV
Tobacco
200 cigarettes OR
100 cigarillos OR
50 cigars OR
250g tobacco OR
200 sticks of tobacco for heating
or any proportional combination of the above"

The pandemic and respective lockdowns mean no popping over the channel to stock up on anything now for christmas too. sad

silverdragon Sun 01-Nov-20 10:34:32

Supermarkets should be pro-active rather re-active re panic buying. They've known for a few days that a lockdown was likely so they should have stuck the signs re limits back up!

Kseniya Sun 01-Nov-20 10:36:44

if no one starts panic in social networks, I think everything will be fine. Last time I heard all the frightening stories about the shortage of goods from social networks. and people from antiquity tend to behave like a herd - to do what everyone does (unfortunately, only relatively absurd actions). Let's spread less panic!)

Scottiebear Sun 01-Nov-20 10:39:05

People just don't seem to learn. And sadly there seem to be a lot of people who think about noone but themselves.

Daisymae Sun 01-Nov-20 10:40:34

I'm not panic buying, still working through the Brexit box! Haven't actually been to a supermarket since March, might have been February, this year is a blur.

storey49 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:42:04

I didn't panic buy last time there was a lockdown and will not be doing so this time either. I have everything delivered buy Sainsbury's, it has been so good, don't think I will shop any other way from now on. the delivery drivers are so helpful and cheerful. I don't think I have spent as much either, as I don't walk down the aisles and get tempted. Although their website is so easy to use and shows all of the offers and discounts, I have found some new lines that are good.

Jaxie Sun 01-Nov-20 10:42:19

I can’t understand the evident alcohol dependency. There are presently people struggling to put food in their children’s mouths whilst others sozzle themselves with expensive booze. Why don’t they consider donating what they spend on alcohol to children’s charities?

12Michael Sun 01-Nov-20 10:48:20

I have just done a small shop in close by Waitrose , busy , but nothing unusual as to stocks etc.
As the lockdown starts on Thursday ,and ending on Wednesday 2nd December.
I feel the Scientists have got Boris with there charts and predictions we need an all party coalition to work together , see if panic and we still have got regional tier levels as well.
When I travelled to Bicester yesterday , very few people travelled to and from Oxford on buses now its tier 2, but on a beer drinking forum I am on , someone I know visited Oxford Friday and some pubs packed .
Mick

Charleygirl5 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:48:27

I have a Morrisons online delivery coming early next week and a lot of their goods are out of stock- fruit and vegetables being a good example.

Riggie Sun 01-Nov-20 10:52:22

silverdragon

Supermarkets should be pro-active rather re-active re panic buying. They've known for a few days that a lockdown was likely so they should have stuck the signs re limits back up!

Some supermarkets hadnt taken them down!!

I will be ferrying a household member for a hospital appointment on Monday and had planned a rare (these days) shop at the nearby supermarket while I wait, but now I will be keeping away and we will carry on using our small local shops as we have mostly done since march. I just fancied a bit more choice of items!

Leah50 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:53:24

Whilst shopping for my usual two bags of groceries I noticed the elderly chap behind me in Asda had 4 packs of 24 toilet rolls in his trolley....wouldn't want his bowel problem!

Theoddbird Sun 01-Nov-20 10:53:49

People who panic buy are selfish. Stocking up means someone will go without....remember that when you think about grabbing dozens of loo rolls off of the shelf. Oh and learn to use less paper each time...

EllanVannin Sun 01-Nov-20 10:57:21

I'd rather see what I'm getting than go for deliveries so I'll take my chances. I can't be doing with things missing or alternatives.
While I'm still able I'll get my own.

Maltagozo Sun 01-Nov-20 11:00:24

Heard on the news this morn that the lockdown may go on for more than 4 weeks it could extend well into December and further.