Gransnet forums

Chat

The Argy Bargy Bar...the lease has been secured!

(1001 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 01-Nov-20 16:52:25

Well, fellow Argy Bargers, after some hard bargaining with
Moneybags Mike our landlord, I have managed to secure another short term lease.The scoundrel wanted ten pounds a month, but I showed him my maroon bloomers and he reduced it to seven pounds.Result!?

Doodle Sun 22-Nov-20 23:04:27

Oooh I fancy a Harry Potter night too ixion. That’s a great idea.

lemongrove Mon 23-Nov-20 09:45:47

Right, how about we have Musketeer Nite this Friday and Harry Potter Nite the one after, that’s solved the problem for a fortnight.Great ideas staff!????
Mind you, I am not swing from the rafters at my time of life but I will be a buxom wench in a low cut dress serving tankards of foaming poteen.
Having never read any Harry Potter or seen any films, I can only guess that Diagon Alley is a bit like our very own Pigstrotters Alley ( the Argy is at the end of it) it’s a bit dark and murky and cobbled.The Council never got around to tarmac-ing down here.

lemongrove Mon 23-Nov-20 09:48:17

Doodle likes to hang around outside and lean on the gas lamp wearing her feather boa and shouting at passing sailors.
The Council never got around to electricity here either, we have oil lamps and candles in the bar and cook on an old gas stove.

AGAA4 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:50:54

Thor is finally down from the roof and is helping me with the brewing. We thought we would give the poteen a bit of a kick so have added ginger, turmeric and horseradish.

Doodle Tue 24-Nov-20 20:28:25

AGA that sounds great. I’m looking forward to Friday.
I have decided to come as D’Artagnan so I can wear pantaloons, a big hat with a feather and wave a sword around.
I am busy cultivating a moustache that I can twirl and a pointy beard. I have made one from hair from the llamas and dyed it black with boot polish. No one will know it’s me ?

lemongrove Tue 24-Nov-20 20:35:47

But.....you already have a perfectly good ‘tache’ Doodle or are you cultivating a Jimmy Edwards type one?
I thought your family motto was ‘all for us!’ And not the noble French Musketeer one btw.

lemongrove Tue 24-Nov-20 20:38:03

Mmmmmn, AGA am liking the sound of that flavoured poteen....should keep us all regular as well as being delicious.
Has that hussy Callistemon been in to do the scrubbing out yet?

AGAA4 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:35:21

This will be an exciting night with all the musketeers. I will just be a serving wench, my usual role at the Argy, and hope to catch the eye of one of those handsome musketeers.

I may have to put sleeping pills into some of the other strumpets'staff's poteen as they all have very sharp elbows when a good looking man is around.

lemongrove Wed 25-Nov-20 19:18:11

I think there may be more buxom serving wenches than Musketeers?
I shall persuade Thor and Achilles and Gloopy to dress up, they probably fancy themselves as great swordsmen.?
Who will be the Cardinal .....or the Queen of France?

lemongrove Wed 25-Nov-20 19:20:08

Would anyone like a feather for their hat? I flattened a pheasant on the way here ( tomorrows lunch).

Doodle Wed 25-Nov-20 22:25:23

Oh I’ll have it lemon thank you. I have been practicing my swordswomanship. AGA there’s a few kilos of sliced and diced potatoes for you in the cellar..........some of them might have a bit of blood on them ?

lemongrove Wed 25-Nov-20 22:37:04

I’ve asked Thor to attach some (very) sturdy ropes to the ceiling beams for you to swing across the room Doodle
And you can do some fencing up and down the stairs......
On guard!

lemongrove Thu 26-Nov-20 20:21:47

What shall we serve to eat? A French menu...ooh la la!
There are plenty of snails in the backyard.

Doodle Thu 26-Nov-20 22:17:44

Oh yes Es car go. I’ve heard that is popular in France along with french fries or is it frogs legs. I’ll nip down to the pond tomorrow and see if I can catch some.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Nov-20 09:13:03

Great Doodle! I'll join you at the pond.
I know it's seen better days, but I'll bring the carp, it could come in handy.

lemongrove Fri 27-Nov-20 15:51:19

Are you still carrying that carp around in a Tesco bag Fanny
At least tell me the angry cat isn’t in there with it?

lemongrove Fri 27-Nov-20 15:54:40

Just popped in early to light all the gas lamps and candles and to do a poteen tasting.....all good!?
Thought we would have absinthe tonight as a homage to our French neighbours ( Madame Pom Pom’s Boutique).

Doodle Fri 27-Nov-20 16:03:18

I love you Lemon aaaaah......absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. ?. (I pinched that from someone on French nite.....might have been Laura to AGA ?)

Doodle Fri 27-Nov-20 16:04:19

Fanny and I have some frogs in our bucket but they keep jumping out......anyone would think they don’t want to be eaten ?

AGAA4 Fri 27-Nov-20 16:35:58

I was able to persuade Wino Wayne to give me some absinthe. He has the off licence at the back of the Argy and will come as Pathos. He will bring a dozen bottles of Chablis too.
I told him about all the gorgeous babes at the Argy and he can't wait.

AGAA4 Fri 27-Nov-20 16:37:03

They are toads Doodle

ixion Fri 27-Nov-20 16:59:48

Blimey - Friday already? That came round fast and has caught me on the hop (like the frog/toads? LOL, geddit?)
Maybe we could charge the lovelies what visit £5 each to kiss one with the lure of it turning into a handsome Prince ?? Make a few quid and keep them clear of GC - NO, not the Scottish one, thank you very much.

I shall come as Aramis. I can use up OH's bottle of posh aftershave he used to wear to impress me in 1974 when we were courting (^sigh^)

Anything else I can do as a last minute offer?

lemongrove Fri 27-Nov-20 18:09:38

Never ask the Admiral that question ixion ??

lemongrove Fri 27-Nov-20 18:13:15

Toads eh? Well, they have legs....will anyone notice? How do we serve them .....do we have to actually cook them?
How do I look btw? Buxom enough?
Can’t wait to see the guys all dressed up ( and Doodle )
Wino Wayne is coming as Pathos eh? I wonder if Steamy Stan will be Bathos?

Doodle Fri 27-Nov-20 18:25:26

Oh ixion I am going to be D A’rtagnan and if you are Aramis we can be the two Musketeers till someone else turns up. Do you like my moustache I have twirled it specially for tonight.?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion