Gransnet forums

Chat

Re-knitting sweater

(55 Posts)
Lynnb98 Mon 02-Nov-20 20:13:18

Hi
I have been trying to re knit a sweater I knitted 30 or 40 years ago but haven't got the pattern. I don't recognize the stitch so am stuck! The first photo is the wrong side and the second one is the right side! Does anyone recognize it?

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 12:17:38

Greyduster I have tried and unpicked the cable about three times and abandoned it again. There's only a bit of the front left to do.
It will probably be sent off to a charity somewhere anyway as I think I may have put on a pound or two over the last 20 years and cabling may not be the best fashion for me now.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:27:01

It looks like patent to me. You slip one stitch and knit the next. Next row you slip one and knit the slip stitches from the previous row.

Nannan2 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:27:25

I thought knitting same on both sides was just plain knit? I didnt know it had a name (fishermans?) But then im not too advanced, can do plain& purl & a pattern involving slip one or y.r.n. but nothing fancy.?

Greyduster Tue 03-Nov-20 12:29:04

That’s a shame. The said cardigan having been my knitting nemesis, I gave all my spare wool and needles away recently. I did keep my mothers needles, but only because I can’t bring myself to part with them.

Lellyjenn Tue 03-Nov-20 12:33:10

lovebeigecardigans1955

Could the mystery stitch be Moss stitch?

That’s exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it. Moss Stitch. I recognise it as that’s what my first few attempts at ribbing turned out like! ??.

Craftycat Tue 03-Nov-20 12:38:40

I fancy knitting a jumper just for something to do in the evenings while watching TV.
Does anyone know a good sight for patterns? Our local knitting shop closed down earlier this year.

Callistemon Tue 03-Nov-20 14:19:50

There are lots of free knitting sites, Ravelry for one although some patterns have to be paid for.
Deramores, Sirdar, Laughing Hens, AllFreeKnitting all have free patterns too.

It's a shame when local shops shut down; I did try to support our local yarn shop but I fear it's not going to survive another lockdown.

Daisend1 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:35:57

Mercedes65
You will, or should be given advice on 'how to' on the day you are discharged from hospital.I have had two hip replacements and came away with lots of info to help with every day tasks.

Doodledog Tue 03-Nov-20 15:07:49

Craftycat

I fancy knitting a jumper just for something to do in the evenings while watching TV.
Does anyone know a good sight for patterns? Our local knitting shop closed down earlier this year.

The best online resource for knitting is www.Ravelry.com

There are countless patterns on there (many of them free), and numerous forums where people will answer knitting/crochet related questions, and share their work.

libra10 Tue 03-Nov-20 16:16:52

I agree with lovebeigecardigans1955 and Lellyjen, wondered whether it was moss stitch or seed stitch.

Have a look at the stitches here

www.studioknitsf.com/stitch-patterns-beginner/

Barmeyoldbat Tue 03-Nov-20 16:56:56

At first I thought of fishermans rib, but then changed my mind when I saw the reverse side. So can't help. I am struggling on knitting socks with 4 needles and I am left handed, so I think I need to reverse (if you see what I mean) instructions. Any help.

Lioness68 Tue 03-Nov-20 16:57:23

It looks to me like stocking stitch, you knit row one which gives you the first picture and then purl row two. The second picture is the reverse. Carry on for the desired length or number of rows.

It is definitely not moss stitch (knit one purl one then work the second row so that you are knitting the purl stitches and purling the knit ones) .

Lioness68 Tue 03-Nov-20 16:59:08

I tend to buy my patterns from Amazon these days. They have a good choice.

MagicWand Tue 03-Nov-20 21:26:04

To the ladies who are knitting blanket squares, I hate the sewing together bit so have devised a method where there is minimal sewing. I usually cast on 60 stitches but any even number of stitches will work.

Row 1: knit (wrong side)
Row 2: knit 28 stitches, knit 2 together tbl then knit 2 together normally, knit to end of the row
Row 3: knit
Row 4: knit 27 stitches, knit 2 together tbl then knit 2 together normally, knit to end of the row
Row 5: knit
Row 6: knit 26 stitches, knit 2 together tbl then knit 2 together normally, knit to end of the row

Repeat these 2 rows decreasing the number of stitches you knit in each even row and eventually you will be left with 1 stitch at the top right of your square. At this point you pick up 29 more stitches along the top of your original square, cast on a further 30 and start again. I have done all my blankets in garter stitch as I like the chunky feel. Mine have all been knitted in random dye wools which give a great effect although I’m planning one in two colour stripes next.

CocoPops Wed 04-Nov-20 02:48:45

You could Google Half Brioche Stitch which is different on each side and might be what you are looking for. There are some good demos on Youtube.

DanniRae Wed 04-Nov-20 08:18:14

Definitely not stocking stitch.
Still think it's fisherman's rib.

Callistemon Wed 04-Nov-20 10:22:15

Fisherman's rib was certainly very popular many years ago, although I can't remember what the reverse was like.
I remember knitting a royal blue sweater in that stitch years ago and it was quite an achievement.

Callistemon Wed 04-Nov-20 10:26:58

MagicWand I thought of trying that next as I don't like sewing up.
I think they're called mitred square or mitred corner blankets.

JanaNana Wed 04-Nov-20 23:29:13

I think this is fisherman's rib. I remember knitting some of my children jumpers using this stitch. Perhaps you could knit a trial square following a fisherman's rib pattern. If I remember this correctly the second row involves knitting below every other stitch. It's a long time since I've done this pattern but it seems familiar.

Bathsheba Wed 04-Nov-20 23:34:05

magicwand that design is a well established one, been around for years. It’s the no-sew mitred square blanket.

Nana3 Thu 05-Nov-20 06:49:09

libra10
I enjoyed looking at your link. Thanks.

mary51 Thu 05-Nov-20 09:19:14

I don't know if it is Fisherman's Rib as I made a six inch square the other day which does not look like that on the reverse. But I will try Brioche stitch sometime and see how that turns out.
Never heard of Brioche stitch.

I've been knitting squares in garter stitch, moss stitch and basket stitch in odd moments all of which give a thick finish. Found broken moss stitch the other day which gives another bulky square for blanket. You learn something new every day on GN!

NfkDumpling Thu 05-Nov-20 09:30:50

I think Bathsheba is right. I didn't know what it was called but I have knitted a jumper using the stitch described. Just the once. It was a pig to do as I just couldn't get into the swing of it. I like doing cable and fancy stitch but this one just didn't flow.

Lynnb98 Sun 08-Nov-20 14:44:05

Wow! This has got many of you thinking about the stitch. I can't find the forum where someone has identified it but they have. No it's not fisherman;s rib as the 2 sides are different unlike fisherman's rib where they are the same. It has been identified as stockinette brioche.

www.briochestitch.com/archives/stitchvariations/stockinette-brioche-stitch

Thanks you to you all for trying to identify it. I have now successfully knitted a sample after hours of research of the stitches and unravelling my mistakes. But now I can do it I am really please as it's a great stitch for a sweater but couldn't remember it from all those years ago!

CocoPops Sun 08-Nov-20 15:39:57

Thanks for the update. Good to know the answer. Happy knitting.