Gransnet forums

Chat

Whatever happened to my waist?

(65 Posts)
Lexisgranny Tue 03-Nov-20 08:43:48

When I weighed myself this morning, my weight was exactly the same as when I was in my early twenties when I was regarded as slim. According to measurements taken at my annual medical, my weight is perfect for my height and my BMI is spot on............so where has my waist gone?

I used to have one, I remember quite distinctly, I used to cinch it in with wide belts, but now my pj trousers seem to end up under my boobs at nighttime and skirts have a life of their own! Granted my arms are now on the skinny side, not by being beautifully toned, but more ancient looking if you know what I mean, definitely to be hidden under sleeves. Legs are ok, apart from the veins, but nothing that can’t be disguised. Hands once a good feature, now distorted by knobbly knuckles, but nails still good.

Really it’s the waist. What bit there is seems to have dropped like that of a flapper’s dress, the original site now home to a bit of a bulge. Other measurements remain the same. Unless I want to float round in smocks, shopping for clothes is a bit of a bind. I’m rapidly approaching 80 so maybe I should gracefully admit defeat, but I would have preferred to plod on with my waist intact..

Hetty58 Thu 05-Nov-20 22:58:34

AH64, my bum has disappeared too! I didn't notice it go - but now I feel like I'm sitting on bones. My friend has lost hers too. We were always slim to average, but now, a side view in the mirror confirms that we need to wear long tops!

Lilypops Thu 05-Nov-20 22:50:00

Hello Leolady73, are you new to GN , I ask as you are on a different thread to what you ask, Try going to Relationships where you will find a lot of help and support from kind Grans , Good luck. And welcome to GN

petra Thu 05-Nov-20 22:30:44

Bluesky
You ask the slim people if they eat normal meals I'm 5' with a 31" waist.
I think I eat 'normally' I don't eat until about 11.30-12.00. Just an ordinary sandwich. Dinner this evening: Dover sole with a homemade sauce ( including cream) boiled potatoes and asparagus. OH makes a carrot cake once a month. We might have some chocolate at the weekend. I very rarely have white sugar. If I do drink, it's not wine but spirits.
I am very active, though, always have been.

NotTooOld Thu 05-Nov-20 21:52:42

Yes, me too re boobs. Only noticed it in the last year or two (I'm 76). I was always a 34a and now a - well, I'm too embarassed to say. Wish I'd persevered with breast feeding my babies now.

dirgni Thu 05-Nov-20 18:50:29

I’m 74 and still have a waist! However my bum seems to have migrated to my tummy!

Rosina Thu 05-Nov-20 18:22:41

Florida12 that's me too! 34B for years - and suddenly I have melons that I hate. My clothes looked so much better with pert boobs.

Florida12 Thu 05-Nov-20 14:49:21

And yes, I too have gained boobs, I hate them, I was 34b all through school, apart from 3 pregnancies, and they always went back to normal. I look really matronly now.

Florida12 Thu 05-Nov-20 14:45:49

If you find it Lexisgranny, let me know where I can find mine!

GreenGran78 Wed 04-Nov-20 08:47:49

I, too, dress for comfort now. I try not to look in the mirror, and in my head I’m still 7st 12 lbs, as I was on my wedding day. My measurements were 34. 25. 34 then.
I’m about 2 stones heavier than those halcyon days, and my waist has also disappeared. I think that having 4 children had a lot to do with it. However I am healthy and reasonably fit, at 81, and no longer care too much about how I look. If I’m warm and comfortable that’s enough for me.
We mostly all had slim waists when I was young. Have you noticed that most young women, these days, seem to have very little in the way of a waistline? Certainly not the ‘hourglass figure’ that many of us had in our younger days.

Coolgran65 Tue 03-Nov-20 23:19:32

Pull on trousers are fabulous and nothing like the elastic waist trousers of year’s ago.
Very comfortable and no gathers!!

Shizam Tue 03-Nov-20 23:03:32

Mine too! Weigh the same, but heft now on waist and boobs. Which I hate. Wish I could move it on to behind and thighs. They’re disappearing. And uncomfortable when sitting on hard seats. Sigh.

Huitson1958 Tue 03-Nov-20 21:53:14

Jeggins jeggins jeggins !!!! Hi rise are even better as they pull your butt up and keep your tummy flat !!! When wearing dresses you can buy tummy flattening pants which work a treat ...I have to admit I also cut out carbs which is amazing for flattening out your tummy !!! I give in from time to time but then go back on it

lizzypopbottle Tue 03-Nov-20 21:38:11

grandtanteJE65 I have no medical background but I am interested in things to do with health and nutrition. If you look for waist to height ratio on Google there are several calculators to choose from that will tell you about it. Waist to hip ratio is another useful indicator and calculators for that abound on Google too.

Grandmama Tue 03-Nov-20 18:56:03

I've always had a bit of a tummy, at the beginning of my first pregnancy my GP asked if I'd ever had a stomach operation because my muscles seemed slack (I hadn't). A few years I managed to lose a two stones so now I keep an eye on my weight (only looking at a cream cake is disastrous!!) and I'm well within my height/weight range but my tummy bulges out below my tummy button. My bum is smaller but my thighs carry a lot of flab. If only I could move a bit of tummy to pad out my bosoms!

NotTooOld Tue 03-Nov-20 17:34:30

I've decided (this year) that there is no point in worrying about my shape. Everything is now much nearer the ground than it used to be - and I mean everything - and no diet is going to change that. I eat fairly healthily, if you don't count the odd biscuit and chocolate, and I get regular exercise, so I've stopped worrying and try not to look in mirrors. On the plus side there are lots of lovely 'pull on' trousers available and I have found a nice dress pattern that misses out the waist which I may make for next summer. Life's too short to waist-worry!

Aneweye Tue 03-Nov-20 17:05:48

You’ve ticked the first box for sorting it, by noticing and wanting it to change. After that it’s just how not if you do it.

AlisonKF Tue 03-Nov-20 16:48:24

Disappearing waists. Thanks for all the comments. It has cheered me up to read comments on my problem and to read one from someone approaching 80. I am 83 and was once a lissom 5 foot 9+ inches. However, as size 12 in the 50's was always a 24 inch waist and mine was 25 I felt inadequate and cast around for the awful"slimming " garments of that period. Expanding to size 18 and sometimes 20, in my sixties, I managed to get down to a healthy size a few years ago, by simply eating less and getting used to that, so arms and legs OK, and a bit of a waist, returned. But.... size 14 trousers now always have waist of 31 to 32 inches and mine is 34. Measurements are always based on a woman of pre - menopause age, I think. I look fairly OK but...... I now have a problem of hunched shoulders. I have tried a number of shoulder straightening appliances, which certainly help. Beware.. many of these are Chinese and made for people of fairy like proportions, so, if you take a chance, order the largest size offered, i.e. XXL. I have also shrunk over an inch which affects those weight measurement charts.....

Jaxie Tue 03-Nov-20 16:47:32

Thank you Hetty58, Your tip to wear men’s trousers reminded me that in the 1970’s I always used to wear men’s jeans as I have no waist but slim thighs & bottom. Most women’s trousers look like jodhpurs on me.

Bazza Tue 03-Nov-20 15:28:53

My waist used to be so small that if I bought a belt I would have to have more holes made. Used being the operative word. I don’t own a single belt now. I can still see a hint of it standing full front, but sideways.........!!

sharon103 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:33:17

I've not got a waist either. I blame it on the menopause.
I love chocolate, anything sweet really so that might have something to do with it as well. smile

Lulubelle500 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:09:27

When I mentioned my loss of waist to my doctor during a routine check up (back in the halcyon days when we could still actually see a doctor) she said it was just middle age. I was happy it wasn't anything sinister, and also happy that I was going to live to 130!

Glasgo Tue 03-Nov-20 13:20:54

AH64

I want to know where my bottom’s gone. I seem to have a long back that disappears into my thighs. Again like others I’m considered slim but resort to baggy, long tops to cover the shapeless rear view.

Absolutely my sentiments AH64, cannot find my previously pert bottom anywhere. Although relatively slim my flesh has gone flabby!

BlueSky Tue 03-Nov-20 12:30:59

Those of you naturally slim, do you eat normal meals? I’ve never been naturally slim and I keep my weight somewhere reasonable by watching what I eat. Thank goodness for elasticated waist!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:25:07

Lizzypopbottle, are you sure about the ratio between height and waist?

I'm five foot two with a 32 inch waist, should I loose an inch or two?

travelsafar Tue 03-Nov-20 12:22:10

Loving this post, we can all relate to it!!!! smile