Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Cards

(91 Posts)
Nanamar Tue 03-Nov-20 13:27:51

Given the global situation, I know that this is a very minor concern but thought I’d ask for opinions. For the past 7 or 8 years, we have sent photo Christmas cards - pics of us on trips, our DS and DIL and DGS, our pets, etc. This year: 1) no trips except for a brief one nearby for our 50th, 2) DS and DIL are divorced, although we still function as a “family” since it’s fortunately amicable. We do have a pic of the two of us from the day of our anniversary and a few with DS and DGS - none really with ex-DIL. I’m not sure what to do.

janipans Fri 06-Nov-20 13:09:00

I make my own "Charity" cards each year. I buy the blank cards and envelopes when they in the sales so keep a little stock. Sometimes I do a simple craft card and sometimes I use a photo of a snowy scene or something Christmassy from nature taken locally. For the last couple of years, my step grandaughter has helped me (think glue and glitter on the steeple, trees and graveyard of photos our snow covered beautiful village church!). On the inside I put a message saying that instead of buying Christmas cards, "X" and I had great fun making them and I had made a donation to "Y" charity. I then give a donation (equal to or greater than what I would have spent on buying cards) to the charity I have decided to support that year so it's a win win way of giving (cards/fun activity shared/donation).
Many of the recipients have told me they look forward to getting my cards to see what I have come up with that year. (They could just be being nice, of course!)

Nonamedone Fri 06-Nov-20 10:17:18

I'm not sending cards this year my heart is just not in it in afraid.
I usually send charity cards though.

Yellowmellow Fri 06-Nov-20 08:51:19

I think this is an American style of Christmas card where family photos are on the front of the card.
For the last few years lve just got 'special cards for family and close friends. I then donate to a charity instead of sending cards to far doing relatives etc. Just put a message on Social media saying a happy Christmas to everyone and staring what charity lm donating too.

DanniRae Fri 06-Nov-20 08:12:04

When I write my Christmas cards if it's for someone that I don't have any contact with during the year I write a quick note in the card saying that I hope they are all ok and that we are all fine. Then any special news. This year it will be that we are to be grandparents again! (Such joy to be able to write that smile)

FlotheCrow Thu 05-Nov-20 20:07:08

I make my own Christmas cards with a different theme every year.

Lavazza1st Thu 05-Nov-20 19:05:39

I don't send cards to local friends, only to far away friends and family. I bought some special ones back in September that are for specific family members. The other cards will be ones left over from last year and I may make some cards too.

dirgni Thu 05-Nov-20 18:42:27

Because of lockdown 2 I have plenty of time so I’ve decided to try and make my own cards!

Juicylucy Thu 05-Nov-20 18:16:44

I’d suggest charity cards instead. It might be more fulfilling knowing your helping out as well.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Nov-20 18:00:34

Never ever considered sending a photo card I’m not a fan of those tbh I would rather buy charity cards and feel that I’m helping them in a small way

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Nov-20 17:51:59

I like getting letters from friends at Christmas and hearing their news Don't mind if it is a duplicated one. What I don't like is a card and no news whatsoever . I enjoy hearing my friends news- both the ups and downs of life.

Newatthis Thu 05-Nov-20 17:43:58

I can't even look at Christmas cards (or anything Christmassy) this year as I feel so really, really sad when I think of all the people who are out of work, business and many others struggling financially, the COVID situation plus the lockdowns. This time of year I am usually getting really excited and look forward to immersing myself into Christmas, especially as it is my birthday on Christmas Day. This is the only time I get to see all my family DC & DGC together, who are very spread out in different countries, so I really 'go to town' on it. I need someone to give me a Christmas cheer boost and get me in to the Christmas spirit,

maggic Thu 05-Nov-20 16:55:21

I ordered my charity cards from www.cardsforcharity.co.uk/
Where there are hundreds of designs from a huge range of charities - all in one place. I received my pack two days after ordering them.

maggic Thu 05-Nov-20 16:49:53

Another vote here for charity cards. I ordered mine from www.cardsforcharity.co.uk/
Where there are hundreds of designs from a huge range of charities - all in one place. I received my pack two days after ordering them.

cupcake1 Thu 05-Nov-20 16:41:40

Nanamar ? for you and your family I do hope next year is kinder to you all. Take care ?

Summerlove Thu 05-Nov-20 16:15:35

I love photo cards! I love seeing friend smiling faces put up on my doors.

I’d do one of just you and your husband this year smile

Oopsminty Thu 05-Nov-20 16:10:54

Incidentally, does anyone else remember when every card was sent through the post, even to near neighbours?

My next door neighbour still does this!

I always wonder if he thinks we're dreadful for just popping one through his letter box.

In the dark

montymops Thu 05-Nov-20 16:05:41

I like photo cards - I love to see old friends, their children and grandchildren - how they are all growing up and what they are doing and places they visit. I also enjoy reading round robins - I really like to hear what old friends are up to. It seems as if I am the odd one out - never mind - please don’t stop sending news and pics to me ?

Daddima Thu 05-Nov-20 15:46:31

Many years ago, my mother was dying around Christmas, so cards were the furthest thing from my mind. The following year I was surprised at how few cards we received, so we had obviously been struck off people’s lists! I haven’t sent cards for many years, but have a few people I phone around Christmas to keep in touch. Social media means 1 keep up with news from others that way.
Incidentally, does anyone else remember when every card was sent through the post, even to near neighbours?

Shropshirelass Thu 05-Nov-20 15:42:40

We stopped sending cards (to most people anyway) a couple of years ago and give a donation to charity instead. Last year we supported a guide dog for two years. Will do the same this year. Some of my friends do this too.

CBBL Thu 05-Nov-20 15:30:48

I have always sent lots of cards, as our family and friends tend to be in different parts of the country (and some not even IN this country), and will try and do the same this year, although the postage is getting pricey. I also worry about the ecology of sending lots of cards which are mostly thrown away after the event. We send about 50 cards, and usually receive a similar number. We do buy charity cards, and I've stopped buying the ones with glitter! I try to recycle mine, but I realise not everyone has that opportunity.

Fernbergien Thu 05-Nov-20 15:25:01

Send a local hospice charity card.

Nanamar Thu 05-Nov-20 14:40:11

Wow! Lots of opinions but mostly against the practice which, by the way, is very common here in the states, particularly amongst our friend and family. Started years ago when DS was born, stopped when he became a teenager, recommenced when GS was born. Another reason I’m hesitant to do it this year is that poor DH has no hair due to chemotherapy- our family has had a very tough year in addition to the pandemic. I’ve stayed off social media because, since we’ve had so many personal challenges, it’s difficult to see posts of folks still having a gay old time or as much as they can given restrictions. I never thought about our photo cards being the equivalent of that but now I do and am going with the charity cards since our DS and ex DIL have both always worked for non-profits.

DanniRae Thu 05-Nov-20 14:31:16

I love sending and receiving Christmas cards - as others have said they cheer up the house. I also donate to charity at Christmas time and buy charity Christmas cards. I have just been on line and ordered some from The Donkey Sanctuary smile

sharon103 Thu 05-Nov-20 14:17:51

Aww, those cards are gorgeous. Just the sort i would send.

Just a thought, is it wise to be licking and sticking envelopes with this virus about. Perhaps better to tuck in?

Witzend Thu 05-Nov-20 13:55:37

Love the ‘husband ran off with the milkman!’ ?

I must confess to having crossed someone off our list because of a round Robin that was a really major brag-fest - it honestly made me cringe. We hadn’t seen the couple for years anyway and they lived miles away - so it was a mite embarrassing a few years later when we met them at the house of some mutual friends!

The bloke (who I know had written the RRs) actually asked me why we’d stopped sending cards and of course I was too chicken/polite to tell him!