Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Cards

(90 Posts)
Nanamar Tue 03-Nov-20 13:27:51

Given the global situation, I know that this is a very minor concern but thought I’d ask for opinions. For the past 7 or 8 years, we have sent photo Christmas cards - pics of us on trips, our DS and DIL and DGS, our pets, etc. This year: 1) no trips except for a brief one nearby for our 50th, 2) DS and DIL are divorced, although we still function as a “family” since it’s fortunately amicable. We do have a pic of the two of us from the day of our anniversary and a few with DS and DGS - none really with ex-DIL. I’m not sure what to do.

SueDonim Tue 03-Nov-20 13:52:04

I dislike Xmas photo cards, I can’t see the point. If I wanted to send a photo I’d enclose it with a normal card.

Ellianne Tue 03-Nov-20 13:56:25

Maybe see if the DGS is getting his design printed at school and buy those? It's a variation of a theme, almost homemade.

Oldbat1 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:58:13

Never even considered sending such a card. To me that is bragging. Look where I’ve travelled, look at my perfect family etc etc. Each to their own.

Teetime Tue 03-Nov-20 14:29:20

I dont know I think a lovely card of the two of you say in humorous vein- say fancy dress or face painted as clowns - something for fun. I think we might be doing that this year.

kittylester Thu 05-Nov-20 06:28:39

Buy charity cards instead.

Riverwalk Thu 05-Nov-20 07:11:44

Christmas cards with pics of your travels? That sounds worse than the dreaded round robins! grin

LovelyCuppa Thu 05-Nov-20 07:16:02

Perhaps stick with more traditional cards? I like them better than receiving photo cards.

JackyB Thu 05-Nov-20 08:15:37

Last year I had cards made by a photo website.I took a picture of us with one of the conifers in our garden as a background. I shan't be doing it again this year, though - too much of a muchness.

However if you have always done that, why not take a selfie of yourselves in woolly hats and mittens just in your garden or by the fire with some Christmas decorations draped around.

DanniRae Thu 05-Nov-20 08:41:47

I am not keen on photo cards - as has already been said - it seems like boasting to me hmm

Missfoodlove Thu 05-Nov-20 09:52:04

No cards being sent by us this year.
We are making a donation to the local hospice and sending text messages and emails instead.

helgawills Thu 05-Nov-20 10:03:38

I agree with kittylester, a lot of charities have seen a massive drop in income, chose one that you feel comfortable supporting and browse their designs.

Hellsbelles Thu 05-Nov-20 10:04:02

I don't mean this in a nasty way, but if we received such card , I would smile and chuckle , but not in the way intended . As an add on , in our many years of getting cards we've never received such.
Surprise everyone and send a nice snowy charity card .

GreyKnitter Thu 05-Nov-20 10:07:36

We don’t really send Christmas cards - except to a few elderly relatives who don’t have computers - and send a personal letter/message online to others. We then make a donation to a charity which has in some way has been relevant to us in the past year - I think this year will be a cancer charity.

Parsley3 Thu 05-Nov-20 10:13:32

The Royal Family choose a family photo for the Royal Christmas card and surely there can be no boasting involved there. I would send one if I could afford to.

mittenma Thu 05-Nov-20 10:14:38

Thank you for your very honest reply. I couldn't agree more and, actually even without Covid, why would anyone add to the climate and ecological emergency we already have by flying or going on cruises?

SooozedaFlooze Thu 05-Nov-20 10:16:31

Yeah... Buy charity cards instead.

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 05-Nov-20 10:17:02

If you've got a cat, drape some tinsel on her and use a photo of that but I'm in agreement with those who don't advise the use of travel photos of yourselves.

Granless Thu 05-Nov-20 10:18:21

Does covid virus hang around on paper? Just thought I’d ask confused?

Ellet Thu 05-Nov-20 10:19:38

I agree with GreyKnitter. This year many charities are struggling and our money would be better spent giving a donation to something close to your heart. I shall send a few to elderly relatives and friends but electronic for everyone else.

Teddy123 Thu 05-Nov-20 10:19:54

I've never received a photo card. If my true friends sent one, I would find it odd and rather show-offish. Sorry I'm not a fan and would rather donate to a charitable cause!

crazygranny Thu 05-Nov-20 10:22:00

For fun and for this year, perhaps send pictures of the adults when they were children? Might bring a smile!

Glenfinnan Thu 05-Nov-20 10:23:32

Send a photo of just the two of you!

Catlover123 Thu 05-Nov-20 10:30:11

I'm surprised by how many are anti it. I think it shows a lot of thought and effort to make your own card. I must admit I really don't like the round robin letters and find them nauseating! but a humorous card would be welcome (not a collection of holiday snaps though!) like someone suggested a picture taken in your garden or your pet?

GeorgyGirl Thu 05-Nov-20 10:34:01

I think this Christmas more than any other is where we need a lovely Christmas greeting and compliments of the season, I would send Charity cards with festive greetings sending cheer and goodwill with a Christmassy picture on the front whether it be traditional or contemporary.