Gransnet forums

Chat

Is a washer/dryer worth having?

(90 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 11:16:13

Just that, really.
I'm considering perhaps getting one, but know little about them.

Would I need the condenser type?

If not, would I need to have a hose thing on the back?

It would be going into a tight, blocked in corner of the kitchen, so needs to be as compact as a normal machine.

Thanks. smile

Doodle Wed 04-Nov-20 14:32:07

In my opinion no. We’ve had two (still got one as we live in a flat) . Ours washes ok and I suppose it dries but it takes hours. I too have a heated aired from Lakeland. I find that more effective. Good luck

Millie22 Wed 04-Nov-20 14:39:28

No I had one and it was a hopeless white box of nothingness. Definately separate washing machine and dryer if you have space.

Oldbat1 Wed 04-Nov-20 14:47:32

We’ve had two. First one was brilliant zanussi washer dryer but that was twenty years ago. Second one we bought for our daughter due to lack of space and the dryer isn’t any good. In end we’ve bought her a heater airer which does the job. If you have space I would buy two separate machines.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Nov-20 14:50:02

I'd have separate machines too space permitting. It means you can wash and dry at the same time if necessary and it's unlikely that 2 separate appliances would break down at the same time.

Kamiso Wed 04-Nov-20 15:03:01

We’ve had washer dryers for 15 years. The first one lasted 12 years and then broke down needing an expensive part so we bought a new one. I made sure it can wash at 90 degrees if needed and has the fastest available spin speed 1400 at the time. I don’t often use the dryer particularly now that OH is retired and doesn’t suddenly need a certain shirt at the last minute.

If we had the space I would probably go for a separate dryer as the drying load is about half of the wash load. Occasionally it helps to put a few items in the machine and they are dry when you take them out. Mine have washed perfectly well but if I want to wash large items such as duvets I take them to DDs or the launderette if the weather is bad. I prefer to dry outdoors whenever possible even if it’s only for an hour or so.

Kittye Wed 04-Nov-20 15:09:35

Everyone I know who bought a washer dryer has said they would never have another. All regretted buying for one reason or another

phoenix Wed 04-Nov-20 15:34:18

I'm on my second one, the first one lasted more than 15 years and was still working when we got the new one, but was making a hell of a racket when on spin.

Both were Hotpoint, the new one is incredibly quiet, no hose thingy, and very happy with it.

A good site to check electrical things out on is ao.com.

Reviews, plenty of technical info (running costs, features, drum capacity, cycle times etc)

Have a look on there, MissA and see what might work for you.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 15:34:43

I'm all over the place now! grin
I shall think on all that's been said.
I certainly won't waste my money on something that doesn't do what I want, though.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 15:37:07

Oh! Crossed posts, Phoenix.
Now you've said that I might think again.

mrswoo Wed 04-Nov-20 15:59:08

I acquired a Samsung W/D when I moved into this house. I dont use it often as I prefer to line dry outside or use the airer in a sunny and warm back bedroom. I'm actually pretty impressed with both functions on the machine although I have to say I probably would never have bought one if it hadn't already been here.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 16:09:33

I only really want the drying option as an occasional, emergency catch up measure.

Sparklefizz Wed 04-Nov-20 16:18:33

MissAdventure

I only really want the drying option as an occasional, emergency catch up measure.

In that case definitely don't buy a washer-drier.

Lollin Wed 04-Nov-20 16:18:46

Another vote in their favour here. When we had less space we had one and it was excellent. A popular brand at the time but many years ago when it needed replacing I was given the impression from a well known department store that they do not have good reviews. I've since squeezed a condenser dryer in and have separate washing machine but I'm very unlucky with washing machines as they never last that long no matter how much money I invest in them.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 16:31:07

It's like a roller coaster ride. smile
Talk about mixed reviews!

The one thing I'm frightened of is buying one, it going wrong, and then not being able to afford to replace it with even a cheap machine.

TwiceAsNice Wed 04-Nov-20 16:37:46

I had one for several years and when it was working it dried clothes fine. Then the dryer would still go round but no warm air so effectively now I can’t use the dryer but the washer still works perfectly. I’m in a flat so no room for separate dryer . My solution at the moment is use washer , dry everything except towels on an airer and take my towels to daughters house to put in her dryer. Not helpful to you I know .

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 16:51:37

Not unless your daughter might consider taking mine, too? smile

Jane10 Wed 04-Nov-20 17:15:43

We've had one for 9 years so far. No choice really due to the fact we're in a flat and I didn't want 2 machines taking up space and not enough ceiling height for a pulley. It works well enough for us. It's an Indesit

Farmor15 Wed 04-Nov-20 17:25:24

Obviously people have had different experiences with washer/dryers - our experience with 3 machines over nearly 40 years was positive, but daughter got one and has had problems. When buying something new, I generally finding reading a number of reviews on different sites helps me decide on a make/model. As far as cost in concerned, I've noticed the combined ones were only slightly more expensive than washer alone, and significantly cheaper than buying 2 machines.
Things like spin speed of the washing machine part are very important - obviously the faster the spin, the less water will need to be removed when drying, whatever the drying method.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 17:28:06

Thank you all.
I'm reading and checking out all the brands.
The indesit and hotpoint are the most reasonably priced, too. (Although someone else doesn't like the indesit)
Some are over £1000! shock

Chewbacca Wed 04-Nov-20 18:39:39

Mine was a Hotpoint...... just sayin.......!

Lucylastic Wed 04-Nov-20 18:53:49

Have a look at Hoover Dynamic washer/dryers.
I use the washer every other day and the dryer about once a week. It's been very efficicient and never let me down so far.
In fact we bought the same model to put in our DS's flat and he seems to be getting along fine with his too.

Kamiso Wed 04-Nov-20 19:02:46

I might regret saying this - we haven’t had any problems with the current one and only one call out for the previous one.

vickymeldrew Wed 04-Nov-20 19:22:42

Another vote for the Zanussi washer/dryer. I use the drier for towels and stuff I’m in a hurry for. Very effective and reasonably priced. Never had any problems.
As others have pointed out, you need to do a full spin on items to be tumbled so there is less water to be extracted. No old fashioned hose thingy either. The new washer driers are a huge improvement on the earlier models.

MissChateline Wed 04-Nov-20 19:36:52

Definitely the worst of both worlds. Washing drum is smaller and the drying capacity reduced. I had one for 18 years and used the drying programme twice. Ive just had a new kitchen installed and asked the Howden designer whether she would recommend one. Wouldn't touch one she said, everyone who has had one has replaced it very quickly.
So Definitely no.

Alishka Wed 04-Nov-20 19:42:28

Mine's a Hotpoint. It's grey, like my other kitchen 'white goods'. No problems with it. It's greatsmile
Before then we lived in Italy, brought our W/D with us when we relocated, still going 15-16 yrs later when I replaced it. Might have been a Zanussi?