Gransnet forums

Chat

Is a washer/dryer worth having?

(90 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 11:16:13

Just that, really.
I'm considering perhaps getting one, but know little about them.

Would I need the condenser type?

If not, would I need to have a hose thing on the back?

It would be going into a tight, blocked in corner of the kitchen, so needs to be as compact as a normal machine.

Thanks. smile

bmacca Thu 05-Nov-20 12:32:30

I’ve had washer/dryer for years as I live in a flat with a very small kitchen so no room for a separate dryer. I bought a new Hoover Dynamic Next last year, reasonable price and it works well. I tend to put things like sweatshirts, joggers etc on an airer as I prefer to iron them very slightly damp, but the dryer copes with everything else.

JenniferEccles Thu 05-Nov-20 12:10:34

The majority of people on here say the same thing, that the dryer function doesn’t work well, plus there’s the problem that if one part develops a fault, the whole machine is out of action.

If you don’t have room in your kitchen for a separate dryer, do you have a garage? That’s where I keep mine.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Nov-20 11:20:39

Still reading this, and wanted to say that the more expensive brands are absolutely out of the question for me. (The Miele is £2000!!)

The good housekeeping tests didn't necessarily rate the absolute top priced items in their list of the best performing.

Most were mid range, so still £500 to £600, but even that is far more than I I could stretch to.

The hotpoint and beko ones are my price range, but still make me gulp.
They both made it onto the list of good ones, too.

Actually all makes had shortcomings, as the tests were so stringent.

Still thinking about it, perhaps in a sale I could find a wonderful price.

Bathsheba Thu 05-Nov-20 10:15:54

Nannan2

Yes Bathsheba but an AEG costs a LOT more than the average washer or washer/dryer?

Yes Nannan2, but as with everything in life, as a rule you get what you pay for. I realise it doesn't always hold true, and you can still end up with a poor product no matter how much you pay. But I honestly think that is not common, and generally paying more for a high quality product will always be worth it in the long run.

Witzend Thu 05-Nov-20 02:02:54

We’ve had a W/D in a rental flat for over 8 years now, touch wood no problems. Though having said that there’s bound to be a call soon to say it’s on the blink...
It was from John Lewis, probably their own brand, though I can’t remember now.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Nov-20 00:20:48

Ideally that would be my choice, but, I currently have my boy's bike in the living room. Temporarily, I hope, but where to store that is a whole other thread, I think.

I'm beginning to see why I'm so down about things lately.
It all sounds hopeless. Bah!

JanaNana Thu 05-Nov-20 00:14:28

Rather than getting a washer/dryer as you have lots to dry, an electric airing rack might suit your needs better. My granddaughter bought one from Lakeland, it has three tiers and lots of drying space on it. You can buy a seperate cover to enclose it which speeds up the drying although its not necessary does dry quicker with the cover on. These are very economical to run as well. I've not used a W/D personally but have heard it's difficult to dry a full load and have to remove some of the washing load and dry separately.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Nov-20 00:06:12

Well, what a coincidence!
I've literally just been reading the good housekeeping reviews.

I have explained that I haven't anywhere at all to put an airer.
No garage, shed, spare room, or even garden.

The good housekeeping guide does say that washer dryers are generally not so great at drying as they are at washing. They also say though, not to discount them because they can be very convenient if used correctly.

SpringyChicken Wed 04-Nov-20 23:59:42

I've never had one, put off by the terrible reviews. I'd rather find space in a spare bedroom/shed/garage for a condenser dryer with sensor (which stops drying when the correct level of dryness is reached).

Good Housekeeping reviewed them back in February - see link
www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/product-reviews/electricals/g30729580/best-washer-dryers/

A word of warning about Hotpoint
It is well known that Hotpoint tumble dryers have had safety issues and caused fires. There is also an issues with some Indesit and Hotpoint washing machine door locks - please google to see for yourself. The thought of a Hotpoint washer dryer horrifies me. Both Hotpoint and Indesit are owned by Whirlpool.

twiglet77 Wed 04-Nov-20 23:27:46

I think they're awful. A dryer needs a much bigger drum than the combined machines have. They can only dry half (at most) of a full wash load. Better to use airers, the heated ones are popular, and a dehumidifier.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Nov-20 23:09:34

Another vote for a washer dryer from me.

I never let it do the full cycle. Don’t need to but sort the washing after it has completed washing and dry it on a much shorter cycle than it would do if left to it’s own devises.

I find it is absolutely fine.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 22:32:00

Thank you all very much. smile
It's been very helpful to read all your opinions, even though they're so divided.

I generally take a very long time to mull over buying anything new, so I'll have more to mull, now.

Nonogran Wed 04-Nov-20 21:33:37

I have one but only use the dryer to "finish off" a wash I've previously had drying on the airer overnight in my sun lounge. I like the facility of passing warmth through anything I suspect could be a tad damp. Works for me but, I've never used it for a full wash & probably never will. The washing comes out lovely & clean too. I'm proud of my outside line on a nice day, blowing my lovely bedding and towels in the breeze! Sad but true.

SuzannahM Wed 04-Nov-20 19:57:44

We've had a Zanussi w/d for nearly 20 years. Over the last year we've started to have a few problems like the audible alarms not working (so you don't get told it's finished) but it's still working well. We only use it for bath towels in the Winter when we can't hang them out, or occasionally heavy items like jeans.

The drum is quite small compared to newer washing machines, but there's only two of us and most stuff dries overnight on an airer.

Alishka Wed 04-Nov-20 19:42:28

Mine's a Hotpoint. It's grey, like my other kitchen 'white goods'. No problems with it. It's greatsmile
Before then we lived in Italy, brought our W/D with us when we relocated, still going 15-16 yrs later when I replaced it. Might have been a Zanussi?

MissChateline Wed 04-Nov-20 19:36:52

Definitely the worst of both worlds. Washing drum is smaller and the drying capacity reduced. I had one for 18 years and used the drying programme twice. Ive just had a new kitchen installed and asked the Howden designer whether she would recommend one. Wouldn't touch one she said, everyone who has had one has replaced it very quickly.
So Definitely no.

vickymeldrew Wed 04-Nov-20 19:22:42

Another vote for the Zanussi washer/dryer. I use the drier for towels and stuff I’m in a hurry for. Very effective and reasonably priced. Never had any problems.
As others have pointed out, you need to do a full spin on items to be tumbled so there is less water to be extracted. No old fashioned hose thingy either. The new washer driers are a huge improvement on the earlier models.

Kamiso Wed 04-Nov-20 19:02:46

I might regret saying this - we haven’t had any problems with the current one and only one call out for the previous one.

Lucylastic Wed 04-Nov-20 18:53:49

Have a look at Hoover Dynamic washer/dryers.
I use the washer every other day and the dryer about once a week. It's been very efficicient and never let me down so far.
In fact we bought the same model to put in our DS's flat and he seems to be getting along fine with his too.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Nov-20 18:39:39

Mine was a Hotpoint...... just sayin.......!

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 17:28:06

Thank you all.
I'm reading and checking out all the brands.
The indesit and hotpoint are the most reasonably priced, too. (Although someone else doesn't like the indesit)
Some are over £1000! shock

Farmor15 Wed 04-Nov-20 17:25:24

Obviously people have had different experiences with washer/dryers - our experience with 3 machines over nearly 40 years was positive, but daughter got one and has had problems. When buying something new, I generally finding reading a number of reviews on different sites helps me decide on a make/model. As far as cost in concerned, I've noticed the combined ones were only slightly more expensive than washer alone, and significantly cheaper than buying 2 machines.
Things like spin speed of the washing machine part are very important - obviously the faster the spin, the less water will need to be removed when drying, whatever the drying method.

Jane10 Wed 04-Nov-20 17:15:43

We've had one for 9 years so far. No choice really due to the fact we're in a flat and I didn't want 2 machines taking up space and not enough ceiling height for a pulley. It works well enough for us. It's an Indesit

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 16:51:37

Not unless your daughter might consider taking mine, too? smile

TwiceAsNice Wed 04-Nov-20 16:37:46

I had one for several years and when it was working it dried clothes fine. Then the dryer would still go round but no warm air so effectively now I can’t use the dryer but the washer still works perfectly. I’m in a flat so no room for separate dryer . My solution at the moment is use washer , dry everything except towels on an airer and take my towels to daughters house to put in her dryer. Not helpful to you I know .