Gransnet forums

Chat

What a waste of money

(31 Posts)
Nanawind Wed 04-Nov-20 23:01:22

Our neighbours son and his family at the moment live in a local authority house.
Have given notice to leave as moving in to a new home.
LA have informed them they have to remove all the carpets (2years old).
Take out the gas fire and fireplace. Change all light fittings to plain white.
Remove all the blinds from the windows.
I'm sure the people who will be moving in would be pleased that they have carpets, a nice fireplace and blinds
until they could afford to buy something of their own choice.

glammanana Fri 06-Nov-20 09:43:40

When we where due to move into the bungalow I have now the HA informed me that all the wooden floors had to be removed/blinds taken down/brass door handles removed and replaced to standard ones.The person moving in had nothing and would have been most grateful for these,but we had no option or pay £215 for them to remove the flooring.
When we had a kitchen refurb by HA the tilers in the kitchen put extra tiles up for us a contrast tile to break up the plain tiles we had chosen when the build inspector arrived to check the work he was very upset that we had more tiles than on his schedule and told me that these extra tiles where not standard issue and asked us to take them down the reply he got was "do I look as though I do standard issue" he was most put out because I had done this extra work but it was for my pleasure not his.Those tiles are still up to this day.

ninathenana Fri 06-Nov-20 09:50:14

My friends daughter who is disabled is today moving into a one bed council bungalow. It has carpets, blinds and light fittings for which she is very grateful. OP's LA are indeed being rediculous.

Davidhs Fri 06-Nov-20 12:37:16

tickingbird

I think it’s more to do with equality. The new tenants would, essentially, get a partly furnished home. I’m not 100% sure on this but I once came across a similar scenario years ago when carpets, blinds and an expensive power shower were removed. The reason given was all tenants pay the same amount of rent and the properties should, therefore, be the same.

PC gone stark staring mad if that’s true

GillT57 Fri 06-Nov-20 13:51:05

It does seem ridiculous but:
Not everyone is as clean as (I assume) we all are, would you like to move into somewhere with botched carpentry, plumbing, smelly carpets and other such left overs which cost a lot of money to remedy?

Maybe it would be sensible for the housing officer to take the prospective new tenant to the property and ask if they would like the fixtures and fittings?

MamaCaz Fri 06-Nov-20 15:43:04

I've kept photos of our property on the day we moved in.

If, on moving out, we are ever told to return the house to the state it was in when we took possession , we will have to shred off half of the wallpaper (leaving it dangling), gouge out a lot of plaster (decorating cost us a small fortune in filler), throw dirt at the walls and paint/nail varnish on the other surfaces, and move several families of mice back in!