Gransnet forums

Chat

Round 2, day 1 - what are your plans?

(106 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 05-Nov-20 08:34:15

It's very foggy out there - The Thames is all 'Sherlock Holmes' and spooky looking!

In the spirit of adventure I'm heading out - when I return will be having a cookathon with all my Ocado goodies. Exciting life smile

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:25:15

Been to Sainsbury’s this morning, not that busy really, no panic buying in there today! Having lunch and a cuppa and then going to clear the never ending leaves that are in our drive, lots of washing to hang out afterwards, bit of housework, then looking forward to strictly tonight

Jaxjacky Fri 06-Nov-20 14:57:30

I was getting through my jobs quite nicely until a friend rang and said she had another friend ‘popping in for an hour’, so now I’m in a grump..which bit about nobody in the house don’t people understand, they both have partners, so no bubbles.

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 14:20:59

Thank you !

Iam64 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:09:54

Let's try to be patient folks. Lucca has always seemed to me to be a kindly, thoughtful poster. We are all it seems to me, struggling through as best we can.
We have been under special measures for such a long time because of a high R, then Gtr Manchester went tier3 and now we are all back in lockdown.
I had my stay at home you're clinically vulnerable letter. I didn't need the letter I'm well aware. But, I've just been for a two hour walk in glorious autumn sunshine together with a friend I haven't seen in 3 months. We usually see each other fortnightly as a minimum. We bumped into another friend who was doing the same long walk so had a brief and socially distanced catch up. It was very busy in the woodland area and good to see so may people (and their dogs) making the most of the absence of rain

suziewoozie Fri 06-Nov-20 12:33:09

I don’t think Lucca was harsh. It’s one thing saying what your activities are when others may not be able to do them but it’s an insensitive step too far to say you envy people who haven’t enough to do when many of those people are doing the best they can to cope when do much is not available to them

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 11:59:00

Riverwalk

Aw, that's a bit harsh Lucca - unless someone is incapacitated they can find something to do to keep busy.

Apart from usual sensitivities we can't be overly mindful of what we post in case it upsets someone, otherwise there wouldn't be much to say!

I had just read something about someone who is very lonely has no garden etc fair enough to say how busy you are but I do Think saying “I am envious of people,with not enough to do” is a bit insensitive.
Finding something to do actually can be very hard if you are struggling or live in a small flat for example.the days can be long. I know my mother found that in later life even without a pandemic

PamelaJ1 Fri 06-Nov-20 11:05:47

Well I’m not on my own and I do have family near (although they are busy and we can’t see them) but haven’t got much to do as I have been closed down. Did lots of stuff in the last lockdown when I wasn’t allowed to work.
So today I’ve just sorted out my knickers. I have 39pairs?.
Why can’t I just throw them away?
I cleaned the kitchen windows but now the sun has come out I can see I’ve done a lousy job.

Riverwalk Fri 06-Nov-20 10:45:33

Aw, that's a bit harsh Lucca - unless someone is incapacitated they can find something to do to keep busy.

Apart from usual sensitivities we can't be overly mindful of what we post in case it upsets someone, otherwise there wouldn't be much to say!

lemsip Fri 06-Nov-20 10:27:46

oh dear!

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 08:29:31

Razzy

No real change here! I do some part-time work at Uni and do school runs, so all normal! Am envious of everyone with not much to do!

A little insensitive to those alone or without family nearby and who would love to be busy!

ExD Fri 06-Nov-20 08:23:42

I feel like going back to bed.
It was after 3am when I finally dropped off last night, and I woke at 6.30 with an excruciating back ache (I broke my back last year).
Also I'm being pressured to return to my volunteering job in our local hospital cafe, which I'm not sure should be open with this recent lock-down. The supervisor is making me feel like a coward and a traitor - but I'm 82 with Chrones disease and feeling vulnerable (OK and cowardly).
I envy all you young people with the energy to go cycling and walking and shopping.
So I'm doing nothing today.

Witzend Fri 06-Nov-20 08:08:45

Thick mist here this morning, but once it clears it will be sunny (I hope) so will go for the usual walk. Apart from that, after a recent request from a dd I will be sewing up and finishing off a large knitted Christmas stocking - one down, 2 more to go.

BTW I found a super quick and easy pattern if anybody’s interested - or rather a very simple adaptation from an already dead easy pattern. All the many other patterns I found online were far too fiddly for me.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Nov-20 21:21:04

I spent the day at work shutting everything down and preparing for (fingers crossed) December so my boring time starts tomorrow I m going supermarket shopping first thing tomorrow my gas man should be coming as my not very old and recently serviced gas fire puttered to a stop the other night and that’s my only heating so at the moment I m watching tv with a blanket and hot water bottle
No idea what I ll do after that, go mad probably I don’t like the cold and I don’t like the boredom last time wasn’t so bad as I was on the beach or allotment this is going to be a nightmare for me

Razzy Thu 05-Nov-20 21:13:39

No real change here! I do some part-time work at Uni and do school runs, so all normal! Am envious of everyone with not much to do!

Lavazza1st Thu 05-Nov-20 19:19:22

I am still working from home , so no changes at all during the day. My evenings and weekends are less social than they used to be, unfortunately. I am making more things, sewing and crafts, like many others.

M0nica Thu 05-Nov-20 19:13:57

I am carrying on much as usual. Did the weekly shop today, at 8.00am there was nobody in the supermarket, the shelves were fully stocked and I just walked up to a till when finished, then a couple of trips to the tip with garden waste, delighted that the tips are staying open this time - at least in our area.

This afternoon delivered shopping to a friend , who has been shielding since March. I stopped for a chat. She sits at the back the kitchen, well away from the back door and I sit in the outside covered way, whether that counts as being under the same roof or not I do not know or care, we sit nearly 10 foot apart, there is definitely a breeze, and Ikeep my coat on.

Then there is the winter readying of a large garden, trimming, weeding, planting shrubs. When all that is done thee is the decorating and sewing, I need to make two pairs of curtains before Christmas and finish redecorating the bedrooms, all 4.

Apart from that, I am on theliaison committee of the local power station, CPRE and county archaeological society, I am doing family history and desk research for the archaeological group.

As i said, going on much as normal.

downtoearth Thu 05-Nov-20 18:38:38

Mapleleaf that is a good idea thankyou,hadnt even thought of that.

humptydumpty Thu 05-Nov-20 17:56:59

I'm with esgt1967, working full-time from home anyway, so nothing really different, though wish it was possible to meet friends for coffee at the weekend - managed to fit in a haircut and visit to the library before today so that's me set!

NotAGran55 Thu 05-Nov-20 17:15:19

Working at The Foodbank today for me . Sorting, lifting and shifting some if the 12 tonnes we will distribute this month.

esgt1967 Thu 05-Nov-20 16:57:56

I'm still working, as I have been since the first lockdown so nothing very different during the day for me and I'm not a massive social butterfly so the evenings will be very much the same as well.

felice Thu 05-Nov-20 16:28:35

Six weeks here(Belgium) starting from Monday morning but Bars etc have already been closed for two weeks.
School holidays here continuing until the 16th. Great fun!!.
I have been going for a walk every afternoon with DGS then he does 20 'laps' up and down our hill for a bit of extra tiring out, haha.
Most shops are doing Click and Collect here, with help from the government to set it up, the banks again are also helping.
No beer takeaways, 10.00pm curfew all over the country, we went to the supermarket today for things I forgot on yesterdays delivery, no gaps on the shelves all staff wearing PPE. There are a lot of faults here but except for occasional breaches things seem to be quite calm, so far !!!
It would have been the first shopping Sunday before St Nicolas and Christmas last Sunday, Antwerp was open but Brussels was just as normal, shops closed. Saturday was very busy, crazy according to DD who had to collect an order and said the local shopping street was packed.
Take care and stay safe everyone.

kircubbin2000 Thu 05-Nov-20 16:27:31

We've been in semi lockdown for 3 weeks and I suspect it will be extended. I've ordered an exercise bike as I am finding walking painful at the moment.I went to the library today and quite liked the new system where you are not allowed in but the librarian can choose books for you or you can request titles.Im looking forward to trying some new authors who he has selected!

Sarnia Thu 05-Nov-20 16:24:57

Cleaning the double oven cooker and hob, my all-time most hated job. I thought I would get it out of the way so everything else I am planning will seem like a bonus. Collecting 2 grand-daughters from school this afternoon. That's a plus.

Shandy57 Thu 05-Nov-20 16:20:58

I felt very odd when I woke this morning, knowing that many of the places I like to waste time in are closed!

I took my dog to the beach and it was VERY busy, came back for lunch, and the removal man came to give me a quote.

I need to sell some things on ebay but can't motivate myself yet, once it's done that will involve some box hunting/PO trips. I'm waiting for one more Christmas present and can then send my gifts to my friends.

I should be working on my proggy mat, but can't motivate myself to do that either. Feeling a bit down in the dumps about it all really!

GrammaH Thu 05-Nov-20 16:11:46

I'm sorry to say I've hardly moved from the sofa in front of the log burner today, alternately dozing, reading & watching stuff on the ipad. I suffer with fibromyalgia & am in a flare at the minute so feeling pretty washed out. On the plus side, it's been a glorious sunny day here in the Marches & the views from the window are beautiful, with plenty of activity on the bird feeders. Graffa C has been mowing the lawns this afternoon and everything looks lovely