Gransnet forums

Chat

Year 4 homework

(34 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 05-Nov-20 13:34:38

This is my DGS homework (his class are all in quarantine). He is 8 years old. He and DD couldn't work it out. DD understood after I explained it but DGS was just nonplussed.

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 22:01:20

Start with what you can solve.

Rhombus minus pentagon = rhombus, therefore the pentagon must equal zero.

Then replace the pentagon in the calculation with 0.

Next step is (+ - 4 = 0), therefore the cross must equal 4.

Substitute the cross with the 4 and you can then work out the last part.

Not very well explained, but I don't have my interactive whiteboard handy! Well that's my excuse. grin.

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 22:22:06

OOOOOPS ERROR HANGS HEAD IN SHAME!

THIS TEACHER WAS HAVING AN OFF DAY TOO!!! blush

Callistemon Thu 05-Nov-20 22:28:47

Thank goodness I was sitting at the back talking and not listening as usual MissMaryDoll.

Are those nice shapes sweeties?

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 22:45:20

Of course they are! Help yourself from thetin in my bottom drawer. Where the are kept hidden from the school dentist! ?

Callistemon Thu 05-Nov-20 22:58:04

Thank you Miss.
I promise to clean my teeth properly.
?

welbeck Thu 05-Nov-20 23:32:22

is this a type of algebra ?
can't see the point of it.

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 23:51:31

Learning algebra helps to develop your critical thinking skills. That includes problem solving, logic, patterns, and reasoning. You need to know algebra for many professions, especially those in science and maths.

I'm probably a bit odd, but I enjoy puzzles like this. However, I have to admit to being a bit rusty!

welbeck Fri 06-Nov-20 01:15:08

well i didn't come across algebra til the first year of secondary school, and i resented it.
i felt that maths was about numbers, not letters which belonged in the other subjects, where they gathered into sentences.
i thought maths was taking over, as if literature tried to push into geometry or compound interest.
why do i suddenly think of Dickens; mr micawber ?
i came second only to Japanese girl in maths in the first year. by the time it came to O-level i got unclassified.
but 10 years later i did it externally, and got the middle grade pass. i was the only person in the hall not using a calculator, long division etc all down the side of the paper. and had to do differential calculus, and parabolas. though what they are for i couldn't say.