Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m sure all of you know about this................

(51 Posts)
Lexisgranny Fri 06-Nov-20 09:35:01

I know there has recently been a thread concerning tips, but I can’t find it, so fullest apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Last night I decided to do some washing, and filled my washing machine with dark items, unfortunately I had inadvertently picked up, with the washing, a booklet that came with the washing machine. As might be predicted, when it finished the cycle everything was covered in what I first thought was tissue. Then I found couple of soggy lumps in the bottom of the machine, and discovered what it was. This was far beyond “reach for the parcel tape” stage. Then I vaguely remembered something I had read about aspirins.

I put 5 aspirins in the bottom of the machine, put the clothes back in and washed on a 40 degrees programme. Miracle! Took them out and all trace of wet paper was gone, the clothes were perfect. Now have to check the pipes and filter, but we’ll worth it, I was seriously thinking of throwing out a pair of trousers as it was so bad. It annoyed me particularly as I always check pockets etc for rogue tissues. Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future.

Minerva Sat 07-Nov-20 10:33:49

jakalpad?

I love this tip *Lexisgranny’ and I don’t expect it to be long before I will need to try it out.

Juicylucy Sat 07-Nov-20 10:37:50

Great tip thank you.

Annana Sat 07-Nov-20 10:43:33

Wow, will definitely try this!

4allweknow Sat 07-Nov-20 11:31:28

Is aspirin still made from something derived from willow - salicylic acid? This may be why the white bloom was removed, the "acid" part. Just shows what aspirin can do to your insides.

missdeke Sat 07-Nov-20 11:34:45

When my son was a teenager he used to accuse me of actually putting a tissue in the wash when his clothes were being washed as it didn't happen when I washed the girls' clothes!!!

FlotheCrow Sat 07-Nov-20 11:35:35

I use kitchen paper instead of tissues. If I advertently leave them in a pocket when doing the wash, they don't shred and isintegrate like tissues or loo paper. In fact, they're re-usable, therefore eco-friendly!

Callistemon Sat 07-Nov-20 11:39:13

I need to go and try that right now!
I'm usually so careful but washed a load of gardening clothes last night and guess what

HannahLoisLuke Sat 07-Nov-20 11:52:26

What a great tip. I almost want to wash something with a tissue just to try it out.

ExD Sat 07-Nov-20 11:57:40

Oh thank you, thank you.
I've just done exactly that (washed a husbands work trousers with a tissue.
They're back in the wash with the aspirins!

Nannina Sat 07-Nov-20 12:02:46

I live on my own so am always the culprit! Now I’ve been given the tip there’ll be no trace of my washing shame.

Tillybelle Sat 07-Nov-20 12:23:14

Lexisgranny. This is new to me. Thank you so much!

MollyG Sat 07-Nov-20 12:26:10

Brilliant tip thank you

rowyn Sat 07-Nov-20 12:56:47

Just hope I remember this tip when I next need it. Having no tumble dryer, my only remedy is a lot of shaking, blowing on the line if dry and clothes brush. Can't wait to go to the chemist and ask for aspirin, then watch her/his face when I say I need it for the washing machine!

icanhandthemback Sat 07-Nov-20 13:01:33

That sounds like a brilliant idea. I wonder if they would work for pet hair? Or does anybody have a cure for that. Some idiot (me) washed the dog's blankets before I washed my own clothes. I don't know how animals live with hair!

ExD Sat 07-Nov-20 14:59:29

It worked, but only up to a point.
The trousers are made of too much polyester/plastic stuff I think - cheapo things - and they've kept hold of as many bits as possible. I can see it working on less poly-whatever material though.
They are now outside in the (setting) sun and wil remain there all night.
Thank you for the tip anyway, I'll try to remember it for next time.

FarNorth Sat 07-Nov-20 15:12:00

Does everyone here do up all the zips on clothing, before washing it?
Whenever someone moans to me about their zips breaking, I ask them if they do this and they say No.
(I hope that they start doing it, after getting my wise advice.)

DanniRae Sat 07-Nov-20 15:37:08

I am going to buy some aspirin too!
I have Anadin Xtra I wonder if that works?

nanaK54 Sat 07-Nov-20 16:57:11

Great tip, many thanks

ElaineRI55 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:13:38

Thanks for the tip - it's a while since I've had tissues in the wash, but it will no doubt happen again. I'm more likely to find screws, wires, magnets and pliers in the wash if I ever forget to check my husband's pockets - I don't think aspirin will help!
Salicylic acid is also used for some skin conditions and apparently breaks down certain chemical bonds, so maybe it's a similar process that "dissolves" the tissue.
My Chemistry CSYS from 47-ish years ago is not up to following the details!

mimismo Sun 08-Nov-20 09:54:32

jacalpad

I just told my husband about this post/tip, because I was impressed. He came up with one of his corny jokes -“ I suppose it relieves the headache of picking all the bits of!!!!”

brilliant

Callistemon Mon 09-Nov-20 13:57:57

Lexisgranny
I was really careful to check pockets for tissues this morning but somehow a tissue must have crept in with the dark washing.
I remembered your tip and put the load back in on a 40C wash cycle (I didn't use any powder) with 5 dispersible aspirins and hey presto - it worked!

Thank you!

Mildmanneredgran Fri 13-Nov-20 08:04:19

Great tip! I was SURE I'd checked for tissues before the wash this morning, but no.... So I'm very happy to know this - saves repeated washing and wasting water and detergent.

DanniRae Sat 14-Nov-20 07:43:32

Been shopping - bought a packet of aspirin - can't wait to try it out - beware stray tissues I am ready for you! grin

DanniRae Sat 14-Nov-20 07:45:13

BTW Lexisgranny thank you for the tip smile

Grannynannywanny Sat 14-Nov-20 08:18:16

That’s a great tip to know, thank you. It’s so annoying when a tissue goes through the wash.

Many years ago while emptying the machine I found unidentifiable fragments clinging to everything. My university student son was still living at home at the time. He came dashing into the kitchen declaring he was about to miss his bus and he couldn’t find his concert ticket anywhere. His precious ticket for a sold out uni gig was in the back pocket of his jeans. Well, it was before the wash went on. Now it was all through the washing machine and unrecognisable.