Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m sure all of you know about this................

(50 Posts)
Lexisgranny Fri 06-Nov-20 09:35:01

I know there has recently been a thread concerning tips, but I can’t find it, so fullest apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Last night I decided to do some washing, and filled my washing machine with dark items, unfortunately I had inadvertently picked up, with the washing, a booklet that came with the washing machine. As might be predicted, when it finished the cycle everything was covered in what I first thought was tissue. Then I found couple of soggy lumps in the bottom of the machine, and discovered what it was. This was far beyond “reach for the parcel tape” stage. Then I vaguely remembered something I had read about aspirins.

I put 5 aspirins in the bottom of the machine, put the clothes back in and washed on a 40 degrees programme. Miracle! Took them out and all trace of wet paper was gone, the clothes were perfect. Now have to check the pipes and filter, but we’ll worth it, I was seriously thinking of throwing out a pair of trousers as it was so bad. It annoyed me particularly as I always check pockets etc for rogue tissues. Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future.

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 09:36:54

Aspirins. Not paracetamol ?! Nice tip though

Parsley3 Fri 06-Nov-20 09:39:07

I find that my tumble dryer takes care of any rogue tissue accidents.

silverlining48 Fri 06-Nov-20 09:42:50

Didn’t know this so thanks for the tips,

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 06-Nov-20 09:43:16

What a good idea. No matter how careful you are to check pockets, sometimes a rogue tissue hides in a sleeve. I'll try to remember this for next time ...

Aldom Fri 06-Nov-20 09:44:44

Lexisgranny Thank you for your useful tip, never heard of it before.

PollyDolly Fri 06-Nov-20 09:46:50

Thank you for this tip! My OH is the worst offender......never me ??? and getting rid of the lint is a nightmare!

FannyCornforth Fri 06-Nov-20 09:50:42

Thank you. I'm forever doing this with tissues.
I wonder how / why it works?

I love a good tip thread!

glammanana Fri 06-Nov-20 09:51:35

Thanks for the tip Lexisgranny I have a couple of black t-shirts in my ironing basket waiting to be de-tissued after an oversight when washing.

Lexisgranny Fri 06-Nov-20 09:52:48

Lucca no idea why aspirins! I put 5 in because we happened to have a strip of 5 left.

In the past I have used a tumble dryer for tissues that had somehow got through my pre wash search, (generally when someone had thrown a garment in at the last minute without checking), but this was a booklet of many pages, far beyond any damage from tissues. My trousers and a cotton mix sweater looked whitish grey rather than black, and apart from all the bits of paper there was a sort of white bloom covering them.

trustgone4sure Fri 06-Nov-20 09:53:23

What agreat tip Lexisgranny.
Another one is if your iron has scorch marks on the plate,put it on high heat and rub paracetamol on it using tweezers,it really does work.

Farmor15 Fri 06-Nov-20 09:53:40

That's very interesting! I suppose they should be soluble aspirin - like Disprin? Or does it matter? Anyone know the chemistry behind this - Googled it briefly but no explanation apart from the fact it seems to work.

fiorentina51 Fri 06-Nov-20 10:16:22

Wonder if it's to do with the fact that aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid and it might speed up the process of dissolving the paper fibres? Maybe white vinegar would have the same effect? I'm no chemist though just guessing. Thanks for the tip, I'm always leaving tissues in pockets.

Niobe Fri 06-Nov-20 10:56:36

Great tip!

DanniRae Sat 07-Nov-20 07:47:57

I must remember this tip - I am guilty of forgetting tissues up sleeves (mine!) blush

Witzend Sat 07-Nov-20 07:55:07

Great tip - thank you!

travelsafar Sat 07-Nov-20 08:16:31

A good blow on a windy day also helps. I did the very same thing the other day, left a tissue in my joggers and everything had white bitson it. After being outside on the line in the wind most of it had gone and a quick brush with the clothes brush dealt with any remaining particles. Soooo annoying when it happens!!!!

Shrub Sat 07-Nov-20 08:59:41

Interesting, but it must waste a lot of energy, putting clean clothes back through another cycle.

Sweetchile Sat 07-Nov-20 09:41:26

Brilliant tip thank you. Mr Nobody is apparently the culprit in our house along with eating the kast sweetue ?

polnan Sat 07-Nov-20 10:04:14

wow, I have to go buy some aspirin, just in case, I only have paracetomol..

you asked the question I was going to ask Lucca..

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Nov-20 10:08:56

Oooer Aspirin thanks for that tip, if it ever happens to me I will certainly use that one

jacalpad Sat 07-Nov-20 10:15:23

I just told my husband about this post/tip, because I was impressed. He came up with one of his corny jokes -“ I suppose it relieves the headache of picking all the bits of!!!!”

Bellanonna Sat 07-Nov-20 10:19:11

Bicarbonate of soda works too, apparently.

Lexisgranny Sat 07-Nov-20 10:25:24

travelasfar it was really the white ‘bloom’ that was the problem. I think the loose bits would have come off in either tumble dryer or on line, but I could see no way out for the rest, it was beyond sellotape or lint rollers. Have just put aspirins on my shopping list for next week, the 5 I used were left over from the time when it was deemed not a good idea to take one aspirin each day, so they were quite elderly.

inthewrongroom Sat 07-Nov-20 10:33:47

Oooo never heard of that one!! Thank you. My son comes over to use my washing machine and not only receipts, tissues and bits of I don't know what are left behind but ... screws, bank cards and ... (more so now) face masks!!! Any tips for those other than a clip round the ear (I jest)!!!??