Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(64 Posts)
12Michael Sun 08-Nov-20 06:12:35

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry and cold outside this morning here in Brackley .
Yesterday, on reading Bluesapphires post , I opted to order Xmas stamps on the Post Office online facility .
Mind you I have xmas cards in advance and always have a surplus from previous years.
The only thing I have missed is my coach trips to shows and weekend or longer breaks plus day trips to say Xmas Markets , all have been cancelled and have refunds from those trips , only managed to see one show before lockdown 1 Mary Poppins .
Today ,small shop and watch the finish of the Vuelta with a brit in 3rd ,all needs to get a finish line in Madrid .
Take Care ,
Mick

Marydoll Sun 08-Nov-20 08:31:54

Good morning all from a cold Glasgow.

Thank you all for your kindness yesterday. I don't plan to do much today either. I'm just finding it difficult to deal with my failing health, as I've always managed to keep going.
As for overdoing things, I know I tend to do, but its a matter of carpe diem on the good days.
I promise to give myself a big shake and stop dragging this lovely thread down.

DH has offered to wash my car for me in between the showers, so for once I won't insist that I'm more than capable myself! It is covered in silica sand from a neighbour's newly cleaned monoblock. In fact everything is covered in sand, but my neighbour's driveway looks great,,
I shall observe and supervise! ?

Ashcombe, what a beautiful church and the poppy display is stunning. One of our local churches has poppies cascading down an outside wall, it is absolutely amazing!

I got a phone call yesterday from a friend to say that another friend has Covvid19. What has really worried and annoyed me is that the friend who phoned, had being advised to self isolate prior to his cataract op on Thursday, but instead, went to visit the covid positive friend on Monday, prior to his result.
He is 77 year, I just hope he hasn't caught it and passed it on in the eye hospital. He is a law unto himself and just won't listen to advice.

Enjoy your day everyone. I do miss hearing from our Gilly. Eventually, hoping she will find her way back.
I'm also sending a special hug to Grammaretto and her husband. ?

DH has brought me the Sunday papers to read in bed, I would never have considered that a few years ago. Bliss! ?

Annapops Sun 08-Nov-20 08:34:38

Good morning from County Durham where our view of the valley has disappeared behind a curtain of grey mist. It looks like a very chilly, damp, day is in store for us here.

Yesterday evening we ventured into Durham to see the remembrance wall of knitted poppies in the market place. The larger flowers had phrases on them taken from letters sent to and from the front line. As the city was empty of its usual night time revellers the whole scene had such an eerie feeling, yet one of immense peace too.

Today we shall potter no doubt and if that cloud does break a little maybe a short walk.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Gelisajams Sun 08-Nov-20 08:34:40

Good morning from another damp day in Morecambe Bay. It was a lovely day weather wise yesterday and we managed to get our exercise in the gardens of Sizergh Castle as NT are keeping there outdoor spaces open.
Welcome Bigred whatever time you read this.
Hoping Grandmafrench and Marydoll are feeling better today.
DS1 reported that he is feeling ok, so is probably over the worst as it’s been over a week now.
A day of nothing much, a couple of silent minutes at 11, and a walk for exercise. They were supposed to be closing our section of the canal towpath but it’s been delayed for a couple more weeks, otherwise not a lot!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Auntieflo Sun 08-Nov-20 08:36:17

Good morning Mick, Annie and all from a misty bit of Berks.
We have had a few fireworks here, but not as many as previous years, and they didn't go on for ages.
I will try to get out in the garden later as the weeds have noticed my absence and popped up all over the place. But, the nice thing is that I noticed a few wallflower seedlings sprouting. As I have been unable to buy any plants, I shall try and nurture these.
Thank you for the beautiful photos in your Church Ashcombe. We were watching a recorded film last night and only caught the end of the Remembrance Service . Very poignant with so few people there.
We are back to listening to our Church service on line this morning, and it will incorporate a 2 minute silence, as usual.
Beechnut, do have a go at planting your olive tree in the ground. Mine have been slow growers, so I don't think I will ever get to see the old gnarled trees that are so lovely; but they look healthy enough.
Spicy soup for lunch. I made a big pot yesterday and had enough to freeze a couple of portions.
Hoping Marydoll is getting her Mojo back. We can't have her being down in the dumps.
Hoping that Gilly still manages to pop in and read this thread, and know that we all miss her and send her love and support.
Have a good day one and all.

Lins1066 Sun 08-Nov-20 08:38:46

Good morning Mick and all from a wet S Welsh coast.
Alexa's forecast says 'showers' so hopefully a walk later. We will observe the 2 mins silence at 11am.
Poor Hattie glad she is fine now, there weren't any fireworks here last night Maw but on Thursday our puppy was terrified.
I remember fondly the many Christmas markets in Normandy many years ago now. We have a cloth Advent Calendar bought in the Caen market which comes out every year.
Sausages in red wine on the menu today and a crumpet for breakfast - where are you EV?
Hope Marydoll and GrandmaFrench are feeling better and all those with pain and worries have relief soon.
Take care everyone.

aggie Sun 08-Nov-20 08:47:38

Good Morning all from a damp Co Armagh, nothing planned for today
So glad that the election is over , but sad that the Incumbant can’t bring himself to accept the result and quell the flames of hatred that he has stirred up

brook2704 Sun 08-Nov-20 08:47:47

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a cold dry start to the day with light grey cloud.
Yesterday stayed dry and sunny so I made good progress in the garden until DD2 messaged to see if I wanted to meet up for coffee - she’s always been a last minute plan type of girl so never any advance notice! I was pleased to be asked so I left DH in the garden, got a very quick shower and made myself presentable to met up at the local garden centre. It was so busy though with a 30 minute wait for tables .. but we looked round the Christmas shop whilst waiting and then stayed all afternoon with her mainly talking and me mainly listening ?
Just a quiet day planned for today, I’ve got some parcels to sort out and wrap and something to create for dinner later - no idea what yet but I’m trying to use up stuff from the freezer
Hope everyone feeling poorly just now has a better day today and please take care all whatever the day brings ?

NannyJan53 Sun 08-Nov-20 08:48:45

Good Morning from a dull and cloudy Black Country.

Another one here missing outings. There were so many Theatre trips, gigs, coach trips with U3A planned, all cancelled . Plus a coach trip away with Mum for her 90th.Still awaiting the refund on that! I made the claim in May. At least we managed to see Kaiser Chiefs, and Stereophonics in January. Seems a lifetime away.

Still haven't made a start on that ironing, so probably do that today wink

The photo is my Dad, aged 17, when he joined up in 1940.

Wishing you all a pleasant day. With love to all feeling down or struggling at the moment flowers

NannyJan53 Sun 08-Nov-20 08:49:36

Sounds like my daughter brook smile

Anniebach Sun 08-Nov-20 08:55:19

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Susan56 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:02:49

Good morning from Shropshire.A misty start to the day.

Am feeling anxious today.On Friday evening, DD2 was told a child in her class had tested positive for Covid.This means the whole class will isolate for two weeks.Twelve hours later our daughter was unwell and advised to have a test so we are anxiously awaiting results.She is worrying about all the little ones in her class and worrying about us as we are her childcare support,we are worrying about everyone.

Hope you are feeling better today Grandmafrench and Marydoll glad you are taking it easy again,Cherry hope you are still taking it easy.

Special thoughts to Grammaretto and her husband?

Hope you’re ok Ellan and you too gilly?

Have the best day you can all.

Jaxjacky Sun 08-Nov-20 09:02:57

Good morning all from a dull, damp S Hants, I don’t think we will see the sun today. Boiler man came yesterday, need a new part, probably Tuesday. Today we set up camp in the l room with the microwave, kettle, minimum crockery and cutlery, kitchen gets ripped out tomorrow. I may well decamp to daughters house as she’s at work during the day.
Two minutes doorstep silence at 11, our local church also has a video feed from 10:30. Scrappy dinner tonight, meat pie, dauphinoise (Tesco’s) and cauli.
Pleased * Marydoll* is feeling a little better, hoping grandmaFrench and others are too.

baubles Sun 08-Nov-20 09:12:17

Good morning Mick, morning all. I know what you mean about missing your outings Mick, thank you for keeping this bright corner of Gransnet going.

The mist is clearing here in South Lanarkshire, it’s a bit damp and drizzly now.

Himself and I had a pleasant walk through the woods in a country park yesterday with the canine companion. We must have missed the sign saying the bridge over the river was closed though so it wasn’t the circular walk we set out on. Thirty years or so ago we managed to lose ourselves in the same park, at least we managed not to do that this time.

The Archers Omnibus this morning will see me through the ironing after I’ve had a root through the freezer to see what’s for dinner.

Have a good Sunday and look after yourselves.

GrannyOwl5 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:26:30

Good morning everyone from north Kent where it is sunny with clear blue skies.
Lovely photographs of poppies and handsome fathers. We shall watch the service from the Cenotaph and observe the two minutes silence. I shall think of my grandfarhers who were both badly wounded on the Western Front.
Another day in the garden; just pottering really and tidying up whilst enjoying the sunshine.
? for Marydoll and Grandmafrench. - here’s hoping you have a better day. Hope your DD’s test is negative Susan56. Best wishes to all worried or unwell. Stay safe

brook2704 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:26:40

Hope your DD is better soon Susan ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:35:48

Morning all from a dark and murky South Notts where we've had rain overnight. I hope to do the weekly shop later, then it'll be feet up with the newspaper, sewing and knitting. Very mundane, I'm afraid.

Hope all is well with everyone, especially those with illness or worries, not forgetting our absentees.

Nortsat Sun 08-Nov-20 09:41:21

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where it’s currently sunny!

I agree ‘good morningers’ about missing live theatre and live music. Virtually everything we had tickets for had to be cancelled. I am now receiving emails from theatres and music venues with details of forthcoming performances but I am really reluctant to book anything. Not even a meal for Christmas or New Years Eve.
As I am on the ‘clinically very vulnerable’ list, it’s hard to see any normality resuming, in the near future.
My partner’s birthday later this month will be a party for two at home.

I am roasting pork today. I plan a walk to the park later.
All good wishes to those facing challenges today. Good morning gillybob. Have a pleasant day, all. ?

Greyduster Sun 08-Nov-20 09:47:56

Good morning, Michael and all GNs on this Remembrance Sunday. A cold very foggy opening to the day here in South Yorkshire and I am full of cold so a late start for me. It never really cleared here yesterday, but DD and her menfolk were cycling in sunshine in the nearby Peak District. Glad they managed a day out. We will watch the Cenotaph Service this morning and remember all those lost, and friends we lost, in the service of their country.
Chicken in Parma ham for supper with potato latkes.

annsixty Sun 08-Nov-20 09:52:11

Good morning all from a dreary Stockport.
I am pleased to say I had the best night sleep for a month and feel so much better for it.

As usual, no plans, but so happy to say I am feeling better everyday after my op and apart from needing one crutch, almost back to normal.

We are having fillet steak and sauté potatoes tonight at my GD’s request.
It was her b’day yesterday but we delayed it a day for logistical reasons.
I am still not enjoying wine, but may try a glass of red tonight.

The poppy photographs are so beautiful and so poignant, a reminder of the horror of war.

Hooray for America, seeing sense at last.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Kalu Sun 08-Nov-20 09:56:04

Good morning all from a dreich day here in Glasgow.

I am finally feeling a good bit better as juggling my meds. are working their magic. Back to having a proper sleep which helps too. Onwards and upwards yet again.

I am sending some healthy vibes down to you Marydoll in the hope you will feel a bit better and possibly feel like a carpe diem day.? Best wishes to you too Grandmafrench, hoping your day goes well.

Now that I have finished using the power washer, DD1 will be down later to wash her car. I must remember to tell her how well she washed her car with strong hints, my car hasn’t been washed for months! Fingers crossed I may have a clean car today.??. Just as I was typing, it has started raining so our plans for today may well be the only thing being scrubbed!

Hoping everyone has a pleasant day and best wishes to those with worried times and health issues too.

Kalu Sun 08-Nov-20 09:58:27

Good news annsixty. Sounds like you are feeling like a new woman already. ?

hulahoop Sun 08-Nov-20 10:02:53

Good morning from West/York's it's very damp and misty here,had a lovely walk yesterday don't think we will be out today if weather dosnt pick up .We will be observing 2min silence at 11 .

Luckygirl Sun 08-Nov-20 10:17:23

Good morning from out of the fog here on the border with Wales.

When it is sunny I feel obliged to be out in it; but today I can concentrate on creating a memory book for friends who have just left the village - I have accumulated old photos and greetings from many villagers.

Marydoll - I sympathise with the failing health - just when we have time to do as we wish, we find it hard to do! All we can do it to bash on with those things we can do, and find others to replace those we can't.

LauraNorder Sun 08-Nov-20 10:45:14

Good morning Mick and all from dry, calm Anglesey. Just watching the commemorations on tv, very poignant. Lest we forget.
Wishing everyone the best day possible.

HAZBEEN Sun 08-Nov-20 10:45:16

Good morning all from Heathrow.
Quiet day today I think but in this house you never can plan for that! OH is in the kitchen prepping lunch, roast pork today with carrot and swede mash, roasted new potatoes and green beans. He always makes Sunday lunch for our neighbour as well. He does the majority of the cooking and I do the baking usually. When we met I was running a bar/restaurant in Spain and he didnt think it fair that I had to see to meals after working with food all day and who was I to argue!
Anyway I will end now before the 11am silence.
Take care everyone and extra love and hugs for all who need them.