Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(64 Posts)
12Michael Sun 08-Nov-20 06:12:35

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry and cold outside this morning here in Brackley .
Yesterday, on reading Bluesapphires post , I opted to order Xmas stamps on the Post Office online facility .
Mind you I have xmas cards in advance and always have a surplus from previous years.
The only thing I have missed is my coach trips to shows and weekend or longer breaks plus day trips to say Xmas Markets , all have been cancelled and have refunds from those trips , only managed to see one show before lockdown 1 Mary Poppins .
Today ,small shop and watch the finish of the Vuelta with a brit in 3rd ,all needs to get a finish line in Madrid .
Take Care ,
Mick

BlueSapphire Sun 08-Nov-20 10:59:18

Good morning from a very foggy Northants. Don't think it's going to lift at all today.

Just back from a trip to the skin clinic at the hospital; I had a suspicious looking spot on my wrist which I feared could be sun damage from my 10 years spent in tropical areas, so the doctor referred just in case. Luckily nothing sinister, and have some cream to put on it. So grateful to DD for the lift to hospital.

Am just about to start yet another Agatha Christie, 'Nemesis'. Slowly working my way through her complete works during Covid. Finished my book club book 'The Dutch House ' yesterday, so will leave it for DD.

Ordered my Christmas stamps yesterday from the Post Office on line shop.

Home this afternoon; hoping all have a good day.

CherryCezzy Sun 08-Nov-20 11:08:42

Good morning everyone, misty here in the Gower today.

I had a bit of a broken night last night but not through choice ?. How can you tell your neighbour off for being noisy at 3am without being noisy yourself ?. I'll put on some loud music shortly I think as it's very quiet next door ?

Catch up phonecalls with family members today and I'm hoping to get some inspiration for the 7 birthdays coming up in the next few weeks! Roast chicken and all that lovely veg' for dinner later ?

Pleased that your DS is recovering Gelisajams ?

Hope your DD has a negative result Susan and that all of you can rest easy. I am taking it easy, in fact if I take it any easier I'll become welded to the sofa ?

Lovely photos to mark remembrance today ?️

Reading the papers in bed Marydoll?

Pleased for you Annsixty ?

I hope Grandmafrench is feeling better today and thinking of Grammaretto. I do hope gillybob returns to this lovely thread, she's been away so long it does seem that she may not return. If you are reading this gillybob I hope you do return.

Take care everyone, stay safe, sane, wear a ? and be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

Stilllearning Sun 08-Nov-20 11:12:47

Good morning from S Lanarkshire, grey and dull and think it may remain so. Beautiful pictures of your church Ashcombe and a poignant one of your dad NannyJan, I have one like it of my dad, not with the lovely poppy frame of course. He came through all right but although I only knew him as the good natured man he was, his sister told me he was not the same man who went away. How could he have been? I try to think about the ones who didn't return and the ones who did and lived with the consequences.
A peaceful day to all.

Blossoming Sun 08-Nov-20 11:16:47

Good morning all. It’s a rainy grey day here in Lancashire. I have been watching the Remembrance service, I find it so moving. Sad to think of all those young and not so young lives lost, the least I can do is spare them a few minutes of my time.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:20:25

Good Morning all from misty Harrogate - I've had quite a problem finding this post, I'm glad you are there Mick!
Just been out on the doorstep for the 2 minutes silence (think we were the only ones!!) DH. got back early from walking the dog to find The Archers had been on at 9m instead of 10am - he's not happy.
Today I intend to make a load of pastry, probably not enough for my mince pies, but I haven't yet made my mince meat, so no rush. This pm will have to content myself with reading the church service
Hope all are as well as they can be - and will be even better tomorrow

Daddima Sun 08-Nov-20 11:30:38

What a lovely thread! I can’t believe I’ve never read it before. It’s so nice to see that people have actually read what others have to say, and are replying to them. Feeling included, even online, is such a boost these days!
Outside Glasgow is indeed dreich, so my ( half hearted) plan of carpet shampooing did indeed ‘gang agley’, so I’m trying to find a good recipe for the chicken thighs Mr Sainsbury delivered yesterday.

Taichinan Sun 08-Nov-20 11:31:41

Good morning all. Yet another late start on the Angus coast - I'm sleeping far too well at the moment! After four breathtakingly beautiful days here it's now dreich, with rain forecast later. Oh well, if we didn't get the grey we wouldn't appreciate the blue skies as much I suppose. Thank you for the lovely poppy photos Ashcombe - so bright and cheery. I watched the Festival of Remembrance last night and found it very poignant. Having "married into the military" - and believe me in my day you really did do just that! - so many memories come flooding back. There is such a camraderie among the men which I know will have existed amongst them through wars as well as peace and it is comforting to know that all those brave souls who were lost had that at least. Both my DSs are military - one now retired, but the other still airborne - so I feel I still have that link.

Ginny please let us have a photo of all your festive cushions when they are finished to add to our Good Morning Album. I seem to remember a snowman and a Rudolph still to come.

Marydoll you most definitely do NOT drag this thread down. You are amazingly upbeat and funny in spite of all your problems and setbacks, and we all look forward to your posts. I always look forward to Ellan's posts too - so come back soon please!

Grandmafrench I hope your hip feels better today.

I have no plans for myself today - outdoors doesn't look very inviting, so a relaxing indoors day. And then of course the results show of Strictly this evening. What an amazingly high standard the dancers are achieving. The younger ones have youth and stamina on their side, but the 'older' ones are incredible - loving Bill Bailey's performances! Have the best day you can everyone ?? ?

Grandmabatty Sun 08-Nov-20 11:33:50

Welcome Daddima. Heavy rain in Central Scotland at the moment so no carpet cleaning for you today! This is a lovely thread.

grandMattie Sun 08-Nov-20 11:55:10

Dadima, look on GM Thursday thread and you’ll see one for your chicken,
Taichinan, I’m SO envious. I can’t remember the last time I slept the night through and woke up much after 5 am, usually earlier. Must be 25 years ago...

Mapleleaf Sun 08-Nov-20 12:10:02

Good afternoon,

Well it's another dismal sort of day here in South Yorkshire and it doesn't look like the fog is going to lift completely again, just like yesterday.

We watched the Remembrance service on tv this morning - very poignant. Ashcombe the display in your church looks lovely.

I need to stir myself to get on with some ironing and other jobs as they won't do themselves ?.

Take care everyone.

GrandmasueUK Sun 08-Nov-20 12:26:30

Thank you Kittylester and Pittcity for the heads up about the Royal Mail collection service. I shall look into that as it will be so much easier. During the last lockdown we had such a struggle finding out when our local Post Office was open. So glad I came back to read the thread again! smile flowersflowers

Daddima Sun 08-Nov-20 12:49:41

Grandmattie, the chicken sounds great, and I can make a Baharat substitute, but I’ll wait for the sumac, which I can definitely make use of!
Maw’s post on Thursday reminded me that Mr Sainsbury also delivered butternut squash and sweet potato, so a ‘nippy soup’ will be grand today.

Stilllearning Sun 08-Nov-20 13:40:49

Ashcombe, just reading yesterday's Times and there is an article about various programmes, shows etc and there is one that I thought you might be interested in.
It's a ballet called Flight Pattern and is being streamed until the beginning of December on stream.roh.org.uk with a fee of £3
Apologies if you've seen this already and while I'm back on, glad you're feeling back on track Kalu