Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(74 Posts)
12Michael Mon 09-Nov-20 06:10:06

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry here in Brackley this morning .
Usual day of some housework etc, did my small shop in close by Waitrose ,and noticed some form of panic buying as to loo rolls .
Mind you the amount of click and collect plus online deliveries are busy .
As to the shopping trolleys ,noticed each shelter has sanitising where customers can clean down trolleys after use in the store .
Take care ,
Mick

Marydoll Mon 09-Nov-20 10:16:59

I believe there may be someone on the GM thread who is in contact with EV. If you are reading this, would you be able to check if she is OK? Not stalking or prying, but a serious concern in the light of recent events. Hence my warning earlier.

Annapops Mon 09-Nov-20 10:17:28

Good morning from a wet County Durham. No GC today as little one is having an extra day at nursery during lockdown 2. Monday already seems strange without her constant chatter.

Yesterday we ventured out into the mist to take a 4 mile circular route into and around the valley. Most of the leaves from the trees have now gone and the whole flavour of the scenery around us was one of winter. We did see some squirrels still scampering around and some sparkly spiders webs shimmering on the bushes. Nature has not fully fallen asleep yet.

Today I shall exercise, a run and dance class on the menu. Online dance classes have really helped me cope better mentally with the restrictions we're all enduring.

Some household bills need sorting online and finalising the weekly shop will be a priority.

Hope your nerves have settled Ashcombe. I know what a shock even the slightest bump can give you. So pleased you had the brake on. That was always my dad's advice too.

Have the best day you can everyone.

MawB2 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:19:18

Good morning all from N Bucks where the sun has come out, transforming the view of the autumn colours from my window.
This must be a birthday week Bluesapphire - my DGS will be 9 on Friday and my great niece was 9 just a few days ago!
That is worrying about EV, Marydoll - I am sure there is somebody who posts on this thread who lives fairly near her - if I am not imagining it, could that person perhaps pop a note in or reassure her by any other means that we are thinking of her?
Wishing you all as a pleasant a day as possible.

MawB2 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:20:13

Crossed posts Marydoll - great minds and all that!

Marydoll Mon 09-Nov-20 10:20:35

Maw, I'm racking my brains. There is someone who dropped something off at her home, but I can't for the life of me think who it is.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:22:25

Good Morning all from Misty Harrogate.
Pantglas2 I'm intrigued - where is the Lidl? Is it in Llandudno or The Junction?
Ashcombe that must have been a horrible experience - glad you got your priorities right.
I decided to look at this post while DH is our with the dog, it's so quiet, no TV blaring with nothing in particular.
Scentia, your poor DD, that is so debilitating, hoe she gets through it soon.
I've nothing planned for today except a chat to my schoolfriend in Ayrshire (and run around after my DH, feeding him etc.). I did a hefty bake yesterday which has left me a bit worn out. Got another bake to do tomorrow.

I, too, miss our absentees and hope they will be back to join us soon. Keep well everyone.

Grandmafrench Mon 09-Nov-20 10:33:45

The sun is out, the sky is blue, there’s not a cloud to spoil the view....but no rain in my heart this morning. It’s a lovely day and I am so much better. Good Morning everyone from the South of France and thank you so much for the good wishes. There’s nothing to beat the Will of the Grans.....you probably made it all happen.

I rose like Lazarus yesterday morning with the benefit of my 1 remaining 24 hour pill. My DH is on the case today and has already mailed our Doctor for some emergency supplies.

Urms Maybe the current situation will make you feel a bit better about leaving. You have certainly made the best of everything for so long, but it does seem as if, at the moment anyway, Europe is going backwards in this crisis. You certainly won’t ever forget your 2020 adventure!

Poor you, Ashcombe. Hopefully you’ll have no ill effects and “it’s only a car” as we are wont to say in our family. Comes to something, Grey when we can’t even wring a bit of enjoyment out of a car service. Sark and dwmxwg walking near water is wonderful - but always so much better with a coffee stop. Lucky you.

Really, REALLY good luck today, Nortsat and keep on going, Dragonfly. I just know you will. Grammaretto bet you’d prefer some peace and quiet rather than the intrusion. And Jax try to think of it as Glamping? ? Focus on the refit and when you are going to have something beautiful again. You too, ginny.

Mary please take care and try not to worry yourself into a state until you really need to - if you see what I mean! Pitt do hope your little GS is o.k. Susan such good news and one less thing to plague you in the small hours.

It seems there are the manic ones (step forward Scentia?) and the rest of us - who sometimes declare a PJ Day and vow to defy good manners and dress codes. Do hope your poor D’s sickness abates soon.

Harrigran your news was like brilliant sunshine coming out from behind storm clouds. Hurrah for them !!!!!!!!
Stilllearning is your DD in command of ‘Mouse Emergency Rescue?’ That mouse is going to have a story to tell its mates - but well done you for not killing it.

Grandmabatty and Georgesgran you should team up, put on your wellies each day and splash......GC’s or no ! Cherry please take it easy - meandering on the beach is allowed, though.

I’ve a delish apple cake recipe from a French friend in Calvados - but it contains no Calvados,
from a place filled to bursting with apples, cider and calva !

Stay in Blue and avoid miserable weather. My DH lit our wood burner on Saturday evening - to cheer me up, not because it was particularly cold but a storm was raging and the rain was lashing against the windows . Two hours after we lit it, the temperature in the sitting room was 27 degrees. ? We do have marvellous insulation but he had clearly forgotten that one Christmas Day in the middle of lunch here with friends, we had to open all the doors and windows for the same reason. Mmmm! Anyway, this time he went off to change into shorts and I stayed in a cotton robe. It was a lovely thought, though.

Award yourselves a good day everyone. Pin on a smile and defy any gloom! Stay safe, please. Sending hugs from ??
And to Ellan you’re very much missed, hope you’re ok. ?‍♀️

Jaxjacky Mon 09-Nov-20 10:44:12

Grandmafrench pleased you’re recovering, glamping it is! ginny workmen allowed in if social distancing observed, good job it’s mild here, doors and window open in kitchen permanently!

Taichinan Mon 09-Nov-20 10:44:53

Good morning all. As I live on top of a hill by the sea I'm not sure whether we have our head in the clouds or the haar has come in off the sea. The end result is the same though - no view, just a blank gray vista. We also had a power cut at some stage as the cooker and ch clocks are haywire. I was awake until about 4.15am, so some time after that. So the first job today is re-setting the ch, a task I loathe as the controls are in such an awkward position. Hey ho.

Sorry to hear about the car bump Ashcombe and hope you haven't suffered whiplash. Take care of yourself today ?. Lovely photo dwmxwg, a reminder that there are blue skies up there. And Scentia, you do come up with some good phrases. Manic Monday indeed! Not here it isn't - another quiet day in Costa del Angus. It's lucky I'm a fairly content person - I love company, but also like my own company. A win win situation for which I am grateful. Grammaretto glad your DH had a good night. I also hope everyone's hospital appointments go well.

Don't know what myself and me are going to do today, but there seems to be some brightness in the sky so haar is winning over hill fog! I shall certainly wander down the garden and feed the goldfish. Have the best day you can everyone - and please come back soon Ellan. ???

Bellasnana Mon 09-Nov-20 10:45:30

Good morning from Malta where there isn’t a cloud in the sky and the temp is a pleasant 23°C. Very different from the past couple of years as my Facebook memories popped up to remind me we had torrential rain.

DD3 is coming over today and I am hoping to meet a friend for a socially distanced walk later on.

Yesterday my tv service went kaput just as I tuned in to watch the tennis final, so I didn’t watch it after all. I wasn’t too bothered. Had it been Nadal playing I’d have been incandescent!?

I did watch the service from the Cenotaph which always makes me weepy. I love the massed bands and the poignant music. My father was a war hero in WW2 and mum was a wren. So many of their friends and colleagues did not return.

Thinking of you Norstat and dragonfly and hoping things go well.

Sorry to hear of your prang in the car, Ashcombe. It’s a nasty shock when it happens and also an inconvenience for you even if they are supplying a hire car. Hope you will get yours back soon.

Wishing you all the best day possible whatever you are doing.☀️

Grandmafrench Mon 09-Nov-20 10:59:08

Marydoll

*Maw*, I'm racking my brains. There is someone who dropped something off at her home, but I can't for the life of me think who it is.

Think it may be glammanana with a little dog, Poppy, who EV has mentioned, Maw and Mary. Shall leave you to try?

Taichinan Mon 09-Nov-20 11:09:35

So glad you're feeling better today Grandmafrench. Love your posts, by the way. ?

Marydoll Mon 09-Nov-20 11:12:33

Think it may be glammanana with a little dog, Poppy, who EV has mentioned, Maw and Mary. Shall leave you to try?

Thanks GF, we worked it out!

Nannytopsy Mon 09-Nov-20 11:15:02

A very late good morning to you all. We were on the school run but I didn’t sleep much last night either. I have already had one nap on the sofa!
More dashing around later and again at the end of school - Nanny’s taxi today! At least the low cloud has lifted and we have even had a glimpse of the sun.
Take care everyone.

Grandmafrench Mon 09-Nov-20 11:19:34

Thank you ?‍♀️.....can you tell just how much I’m missing friends and conversation ?! I shall not be able to get Peggy Lee’s version of ‘The Folks Who Live On The Hill’ out of my head now. As soon as you described where you live...there it was. In my new home down here, I so miss my fish - and my ducks.
Have a lovely day, both of you.......yourself and you.....in one of the more Northerly Costas ! ?

HAZBEEN Mon 09-Nov-20 11:36:29

Good morning all.
Its quite mild here today but a bit overcast. The sun did peep through earlier but has now disappeared.
Todays mission is part accomplished. I have spent 2 hours trying to get through to report a faulty boiler. It started 2 months ago, gas man came out said the pressure had dropped and put it back on, 2 weeks ago it happened again but the engineer said the company (Housing association) wouldn't replace the part because by pressing the button it will come back. Well over the weekend every time we wanted heating or hot water we had to press the button! I was not taking prisoners this morning and they are coming tomorrow morning to fix it I hope!
Enough of my moaning, I now intend to bake some rock buns and maybe a ham and egg pie my OHs favourites. Later a bit of indulging in online shopping!
Stay safe everyone.

Daddima Mon 09-Nov-20 11:39:15

MawB 3 birthdays for us this week too. Counting back, could it be a result of Valentine’s Day ‘ activity’?

Crisp and sunny here in East Dunbarton. How lovely to see the marks on the window!

I hope missing EV turns up.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:39:16

Good morning from a fresh and sunny north of Scotland. Yesterday’s Remembrance Service was very poignant and I really miss the tea in the Church hall afterwards because no matter the weather it always seems like the coldest of days and the chat afterwards softens the day.
I went for a lovely walk this morning. Everyone is making an extra effort to say hello.
Some cases of the virus here but the schools are still open.
Sending kind thoughts to all who have worries on their shoulders.

hulahoop Mon 09-Nov-20 11:51:25

Good morning from West/York's very misty again this morning. I have just made shepherd's pie for meal later the smell of fried onions is making me hungry .best wishes to all not feeling well and to those having treatment . Stay safe.

Lins1066 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:57:23

I hope that EV comes back soon. Really miss her posts and her pragmatic approach to life. Hugs ? Wish there was a crumpet emoji......

farview Mon 09-Nov-20 12:27:17

I second that Lins1066....

Taichinan Mon 09-Nov-20 14:40:07

*Grandma french" g ???

Blossoming Mon 09-Nov-20 15:44:32

I did manage to get up, as I wanted to finish off the airing cupboard clear out and mothproofing ready for the new hanging rail arriving Thursday. I have the mothproof bags ready to start putting summer clothes away for storage. It will be lovely to have things a bit more organised and no more holes in cashmere sweaters! Now sat with the window open as I hate the smell of the moth spray. Fortunately it goes away as it dries and it isn’t harmful to pets or humans, just moths.