Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotties? Or leccy blankets?

(146 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:48:21

Brought up in a north facing stone cottage in Scotland I always had a hotty or - height of luxury in my teens - an electric blanket.
Over the years I have had both - or neither- but the other night I fell asleep with my leccy blanket on (thermostatically controlled, so safe) but woke up imagining I could smell singeing - so at 2 in the morning, I whipped it off, bagged it up and it went out with the bins yesterday!
Quandary -what to do last night, so I looked out the little furry hotty I keep for visitors and popped it in, moving it down to the foot area when I came to bed.
One of the best nights sleep of the last few months!
So ——
Do you use either?
Which do you favour?
Or are you like this posh lady?

Oldbat1 Tue 10-Nov-20 12:24:22

Another’s Scot brought up with no central heating. If needed I have a hot water bottle but that is very very rare. Always have a window open and no heating in bedroom.

Lexisgranny Tue 10-Nov-20 12:51:03

Really this subject is almost like a slice of social history.

My grandmother’s home had really pretty fireplaces in all four bedrooms. Long before I was born gas fires with white mantles(?) had been put in to replace the small open fires, these had been, and were continued to be supplemented by stone hot water bottles.

During the war when the mantles cracked it was difficult to find replacements, so the gas fires were removed. At this point I remember Aladdin paraffin lamps being carried up to bedrooms each evening, together with rubber hot water bottles which replaced the stone ones.

In the early 50s central heating came along together with small heated pads, to be followed later by electric blankets.

Up to the present day, now in our home we rely on central heating, blankets and the return of the hottie for localised aches and pains and for comfort. ( My husband and I were attempting a couple of years ago to buy a dual control blanket, when a mystified assistant said that she didn’t see how it would work, as what would happen if you both used your control at the same time!!!!!).

Nighttime comfort seems to have been a priority in our family genes for over 100 years.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:54:19

BlueSky and *BlueBelle!

How marvellous that you share my idiosyncrasy!

I shall tell my family that I'm not the only one after all ;-)

rosie1959 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:07:02

Menopause windows wide open hence sleeping part of the night in a separate room from my DH !

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:28:03

In East Fife I felt the cold in those stone houses. One fireplace in use downstairs and one was lit in my bedroom once when I was very unwell.

Stone hot water bottles, cannot remember when the rubber ones appeared.

As an adult, I tried electric blankets but I also thought the bed would be on fire any time soon and also when a cat arrived, I had visions of the blanket getting scratched so back to my lovely hot water bottle with a spare in case this one leaks.

15 tog duvet, memory foam mattress- I only really get up to feed the cat!

cornergran Tue 10-Nov-20 13:33:57

Hot water bottles for me with cuddly covers. Two when it’s very cold, one for my back the other for my feet. Stone hot water bottles as a child in a house with just one heated room, usually wrapped in a towel it kept me beautifully warm. We still have one stone bottle from Ma in Laws home, can’t part with it.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:37:11

My hottie isn’t just for bedtime. I carry it around with me throughout the day, too.

Lexisgranny Tue 10-Nov-20 13:48:50

MayBee70 you just reminded me, I have a smaller hottie with an Arun cover that I wear under my coat for watching outdoor sporting events. Our grandchildren are all sporty, so we have a lot of teams to support. (This hottie has also, in inclement weather, graced cricket matches). Fellow supporters must assume that I am particularly well endowed! I forgot about it, since because of the virus, it has been hors de combat since February.

ElaineI Tue 10-Nov-20 22:50:02

Have used both and live in Scotland. Electric blanket is easier but you can't cuddle it and it does not ease period pains (surprised no one has mentioned this - maybe we are all too old!) and is more difficult to use if you feel poorly and are cuddled up on the couch!

MissAdventure Tue 10-Nov-20 22:52:48

My daughter was a big fan of the hottie.
I'd often find her with it stuffed down the back of her trousers if she was in pain..
She always really appreciated anything warming. smile

twiglet77 Tue 10-Nov-20 23:01:07

I like a hot water bottle, though I did have an electric blanket as a child. The bottle goes against the small of my back and my dog nestles against it, on top of the duvet but snuggled under her fleece blanket. I prefer a cool bedroom - window ajar, and usually no heating - but like to be warm in bed, with flannelette sheets, warm pyjamas, and socks when necessary!

lemsip Tue 10-Nov-20 23:09:35

leccie blanket for me, switch it on half hour before bed and off when I get under the duvet!

BlueBelle Tue 10-Nov-20 23:19:10

Two for me too cornergran one in the small of my back and one for my ever cold feet
I remember when I was young going to see South Pacific with my Nan at the local cinema and we both had a hot water bottle under our coats

BlueSky Tue 10-Nov-20 23:33:48

BlueBelle wink
Twiglet I too like a cool bedroom but warm bed. Bliss!
Ladies I can now tell DH I’m not weird after all! wink

Witzend Wed 11-Nov-20 08:37:24

I love that card, @MawB2 !
I’ve bought it for several people.

I love our electric blanket (an under blanket, usually switched off not long after getting into bed) but do also have a hot water bottle for aches and pains or just extra comfort for anyone under the weather.

Unless it’s really freezing - very rare here - I do have to have the bedroom window open, though.

Shandy57 Wed 11-Nov-20 09:58:42

My friend sent me my first electric blanket for my 60ieth birthday, fantastic!

I put it on the top setting, 3, and turn it off when I get in. I was frightened of them for years as my Mum had an awful pink thing with dangerous looking cables.

Have you seen the new 'long' hot water bottles? I'm not sure about them.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Nov-20 09:59:20

Hot water bottles for me. I was born and raised in an urban terraced house with limited heating (and no heating upstairs at all), no electric sockets, no running hot-water, no bathroom, and only an outside toilet. But our mum always made sure we were warm in bed with our HWBs.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Nov-20 10:00:22

How do you fill the long HWBs? They look like a safety nightmare to me!

Theoddbird Wed 11-Nov-20 10:01:20

I once had a hot water bottle. It burst and I woke up with very cold wet feet. Never again. I have an electric under blanket. It warms my bed before I get into it. I live on a narrow boat and do not have central heating...just a multifuel burner in saloon. I love my electric blanket smile

hicaz46 Wed 11-Nov-20 10:01:42

Hot water bottle, radiator off and window open. Never had an electric blanket, but do have several different sized hot water bottles. I take a hottie away if I go on visits or holidays. (obviously not at present time)

Coconut Wed 11-Nov-20 10:05:54

Neither ! After a long period of insomnia, I realised that every time I woke up in the early hours, my legs were actively seeking the cold spots in my king size bed. Am sure it’s linked to restless legs, so I’ve taken to wearing nighties instead of PJ’s and am sleeping perfectly now !

Missfoodlove Wed 11-Nov-20 10:06:50

Cold crisp sheets and the window open!
A hot water bottle or electric blanket would me my idea of hell.
When our AC come to stay they moan about the lack of heat.
We have central heating but only use it in seriously cold weather.
We love to light the fire or a stove though.

b1zzle Wed 11-Nov-20 10:08:25

Both for me, please!

Craftycat Wed 11-Nov-20 10:09:25

No- just put the warmer duvets on the bed in winter. I do sometimes have a cat or 3 on the bed but I wouldn't say they keep us warmer- just means less room to turn over!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 11-Nov-20 10:09:52

A hottie overtime also good for my aches and pains.