Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotties? Or leccy blankets?

(145 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:48:21

Brought up in a north facing stone cottage in Scotland I always had a hotty or - height of luxury in my teens - an electric blanket.
Over the years I have had both - or neither- but the other night I fell asleep with my leccy blanket on (thermostatically controlled, so safe) but woke up imagining I could smell singeing - so at 2 in the morning, I whipped it off, bagged it up and it went out with the bins yesterday!
Quandary -what to do last night, so I looked out the little furry hotty I keep for visitors and popped it in, moving it down to the foot area when I came to bed.
One of the best nights sleep of the last few months!
So ——
Do you use either?
Which do you favour?
Or are you like this posh lady?

Jane10 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:52:45

None of the above. My memory foam mattress plus brushed cotton sheets keep me toasty warm.
Living in an old house in Edinburgh as a child, hot water bottles or electric blankets were unimaginable luxuries! Breaking the ice on the inside of the windows by breathing on it at least gave us enough light to get dressed. Great days!! grin

Thoro Tue 10-Nov-20 11:03:03

Hot water bottle. Have used an electric blanket and getting in to a warm bed on a cold night is wonderful but then you get too hot then later in the night too cold - a hotty can be pushed away if too hot and keeps some of its heat and can be retrieved when you get cold!

Jaxjacky Tue 10-Nov-20 11:05:13

Electric blanket, goes on about an hour before I go up, off as soon as I get in, bliss.

Doodledog Tue 10-Nov-20 11:05:20

I love a warm bed in a cool room, so sleeping in a bed with an electric blanket is my idea of luxury.

BlueSky Tue 10-Nov-20 11:07:33

Good old fashioned hot water bottle every time!

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 10-Nov-20 11:10:53

Last winter was my first with an electric blanket - I love it!! I was brought up in Scotland in a house without central heating, so cold was just the way it was.
I normally set it to the hottest, then when I'm really cosy, change it to a cooler setting which it is on for an hour - by that time I'm usually well into the and of dreams.

travelsafar Tue 10-Nov-20 11:14:56

Hot water bottle, So soothing for aches and pains.......and of course for warming cold feet!!!

Grandmabatty Tue 10-Nov-20 11:17:14

I used to have an electric blanket but got rid of it as I was menopausal and didn't need the heat! ☺ I might ask santa for one. When I was a child, it was a hot water bottle or nothing and I lived in Central Scotland so definitely needed it at times. Useful for period pains too, when I had such things.

jusnoneed Tue 10-Nov-20 11:24:09

Hot water bottle for me, I don't like being too hot so just warm the middle of my bed and then when I get in it goes down the foot end. We don't have central heating so used to a cold room and I find I don't sleep well if it's too warm in the bed.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Nov-20 11:26:36

I like a hot water bottle; the feel, the smell.
It reminds me of being a child. smile

mokryna Tue 10-Nov-20 11:30:17

At the moment I use a hot water bottle to take the chill off the memory foam mattress, because it seems unlike others, it doesn’t warm up very quickly and I get cramp. When the nights get colder I will return to the under electric blanket, which I will switch on an hour before I go to bed but switch it off when I get in. I also have to have a thick cover over the top of this blanket as I am allergic to it. I only have the radiator on when it gets really cold as it gives me a sore throat.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 11:34:40

Hot water bottle for me

I tend to have one all year round. It's a source of great amusement to the family because I'll be filling my bottle during a heatwave

I think I have some weird sort of oddness going on. It's a bit like cleaning my teeth. Has to be done before bed

I've never liked electric blankets. As a child, my parents offered to get me one but I have a fire phobia and was convinced they'd ignite whilst I was sleeping.

Always had dogs on the bed as well

Funny thing is I hate a hot bedroom. Have a window open in all weathers.

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Nov-20 11:35:02

Neither for me . A good quality duvet and weighted blanket keep me toasty, with the window open all year round regardless of the outside temperature.

As a child we had no upstairs heating in the house and sheets and blankets on the bed instead , so a hot water bottle was usual then .

avitorl Tue 10-Nov-20 11:40:34

I love my electric over blanket. I also have a small heated pad which I sometimes use if I just want to warm my feet or soothe my stomach if it is unsettled which it sometimes is.
I have a heated throw for my living room and a heated boot for my feet.As you can tell I feel the cold. I also keep central heating on at 18degrees throughout the night.

Dwmxwg Tue 10-Nov-20 11:42:24

Never owned an electric blanket I like the bedroom cold and to snuggle down under the duvet with my hot water bottle, bliss

BlueSky Tue 10-Nov-20 11:43:01

Oopsminty
“I tend to have one all year round. It's a source of great amusement to the family because I'll be filling my bottle during a heatwave”
Same here Oopsminty! grin

Puzzler61 Tue 10-Nov-20 11:49:06

I always had a hot water bottle as a child in my mum’s house which was very cold (only coal fires and 2 bar electric fires).
Now I like an rectangular lavender bag that heats in the microwave and I lie it at the bottom of the bed near my feet. Keeps them warm for ages and by then I’m asleep.

ginny Tue 10-Nov-20 11:51:36

Neither. Can’t bear getting in a warm bed.
Window ajar and a decent duvet does me fine. Strange really because I do generally feel the cold.

B9exchange Tue 10-Nov-20 11:53:43

Microwave lavender bag for me, though only occasionally. Usually rest cold feet on DH, you should hear the screams! grin

tanith Tue 10-Nov-20 11:54:54

My electric blanket is on for 10 mins but off once I get in, just takes the chill off.

BlueBelle Tue 10-Nov-20 11:55:34

My precious hottie bottles both my daughters are hot water bottle fans too isn’t it funny
bluesky * oppsmininty* oh you ve just made me feel so normal I ve always thought I was a freak as I have one all the year round and only this year August I was at my eldest daughters when she filled hers I never knew she did too

I am thrilled to know I m not off the scale in strangeness thank you

Shrub Tue 10-Nov-20 11:57:39

Hot water bottle for me! And it’s still warm in the morning.

MawB2 Tue 10-Nov-20 12:05:06

Living in an old house in Edinburgh as a child, hot water bottles or electric blankets were unimaginable luxuries! Breaking the ice on the inside of the windows by breathing on it at least gave us enough light to get dressed

Living in an 18th C stone cottage in the Borders my hotty was an essential and when electric blankets came along - heaven sent! Even before we had leccy blankets though I remember my father having a heated pad which he used when his back was particularly bad.
And like Gwenisgreat it was a case of a coal fire downstairs and the occasional use of a one or two bar fire for10 minutes in the bedroom!
We were hardy in those days!

sodapop Tue 10-Nov-20 12:21:05

Me too NotaGran55 window open all year round, quite often I get too hot even in colder weather and have to take the duvet off.