Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotties? Or leccy blankets?

(146 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:48:21

Brought up in a north facing stone cottage in Scotland I always had a hotty or - height of luxury in my teens - an electric blanket.
Over the years I have had both - or neither- but the other night I fell asleep with my leccy blanket on (thermostatically controlled, so safe) but woke up imagining I could smell singeing - so at 2 in the morning, I whipped it off, bagged it up and it went out with the bins yesterday!
Quandary -what to do last night, so I looked out the little furry hotty I keep for visitors and popped it in, moving it down to the foot area when I came to bed.
One of the best nights sleep of the last few months!
So ——
Do you use either?
Which do you favour?
Or are you like this posh lady?

seacliff Wed 11-Nov-20 20:39:36

I bet it's painful if you stub your toe on one of those stone hot water bottles!

I don't have any extra heat. Just a duvet, plus thick quilted bed cover on top, and a cosy fleece to wrap around my neck if I am reading in bed. And alpaca bed socks if its really chilly. I might then also get a cat cuddling up.

Grandmafrench Wed 11-Nov-20 20:41:55

Not crossed, BlueBelle, great minds - but YOU'VE got the actual item !!

crazygranny Wed 11-Nov-20 21:00:35

Hottie - definitely!

BBbevan Wed 11-Nov-20 21:15:34

Neither, I have DH

Sr69 Wed 11-Nov-20 21:25:14

Neither, I have a nice warm shower before I get into bed and love the feel of cool cotton bedding.

Kate54 Wed 11-Nov-20 21:29:44

My mother, one of four sisters, had one of the stone hot water bottles discussed. They always referred to it as ‘the ugly sister’!

dogsmother Wed 11-Nov-20 21:33:47

Another electric hot water Bottle lover here, they keep the heat so long much much better than hot water. My mother had an electric blanket that caught fire on her bed, she used to switch it on before she went up to warm her bed for when she got in ......certainly put me off them.

Happiyogi Wed 11-Nov-20 21:49:32

Definitely a HWB for me. Love it tucked into the small of my back all year round, except in the presence of a major heatwave!

TwinLolly Wed 11-Nov-20 21:58:46

I prefer a hot water bottle ? - I love cuddling around it.

It did come useful at work as well. During winter ☃️, sitting having to take minutes of a meeting and freezing ? my digits off - so I took a hot water bottle to work and it did the trick. I was toasty during minute-taking and toasty while working at my desk.?

In summer, at work, I filled it with cold water from the fridge to help keep me cool at my desk. Brilliant. ??

And then at home, a cold hot water bottle is lovely in summer when trying to sleep and keep cool at the same time.?

CanadianGran Wed 11-Nov-20 22:51:03

Bluebelle, Holly... thank you - I have not seen those before.
I guess it makes sense in the days before rubber was readily available, but not very comfortable at the bottom of your sheets! I have only ever known the rubber ones. The one we have is probably from the 60's, since we took over MIL's house and it was in the linen closet. I just used it the last few days.

I have seen the metal bedpans before, and imaging they would be very hot if embers were put in! Maybe they were meant for under the bed on the floor to radiate the heat upwards? Interesting.

MawB2 Wed 11-Nov-20 23:41:09

BBbevan

Neither, I have DH

Lucky you, some of us don’t.

BlueBelle Thu 12-Nov-20 01:56:12

The metal warming pan is not kept in the bed canadiangran it’s put in an hour before to warm the sheets then taken out when they went to bed, so no it doesn’t go under, but inside

This is my long bottle it’s great because you can cuddle it the length of your body Anyone else got one ?

Hetty58 Thu 12-Nov-20 04:13:14

Electric blanket (luxury fleecy mattress cover) with independent body and foot warming temperatures.

I just love having the foot area warmer. It's on for half an hour before I get in, then switched off. Plus a little dog, of course!

Aepgirl Thu 12-Nov-20 08:42:10

An electric blanket and bed socks.

Dowsabella Thu 12-Nov-20 08:59:47

Am I the only one with an electric duvet? It's the most wonderful invention. It has dual controls so I can decide how warm I need to be. My cats think it belongs to them!! When I visit my children and grandchildren in colder months, I even take it with me! They are hardier than I and should I need a hot water bottle, I would have to take that with me anyway. I am generally described by my friends as "nesh" - a Derbyshire term for describing someone who likes to be warm!

BlueBelle Thu 12-Nov-20 09:06:00

I don’t like electricity in my bed though dowsabella even if turned off probably silly but that’s how I feel

tattygran14 Thu 12-Nov-20 14:48:35

I recall a school friend whose mother used to use a thing like a large metal flying saucer, inside the bed, to warm it. It had an ordinary light bulb inside, of course in those days light bulbs got hot. I'm a hot water bottle fan, I always have cold legs!

GrauntyHelen Thu 12-Nov-20 16:59:28

I had an electric blanket most of my life in old cold houses now in a well insulated new build it's not required Hot water bags were and are used for pain relief here

EllanVannin Thu 12-Nov-20 17:31:46

It's strange but I haven't ( yet ) felt as cold as in previous years.
I invariably sleep with an open window as I love to sniff in the air and keep warm between merino blankets next to me, plus a feather quilt on top as well. No problem sleeping whatsoever.
Snug as a bug in a rug. grin

Tweedle24 Sat 14-Nov-20 14:55:01

As a student nurse in the 60s, hot water bottles were not encouraged but, sometimes necessary. It was burnt into my brain by fearsome ward sisters NEVER to use boiling water. It had to be cool enough not to scald if the bottle leaked or burst. It does not have to be that hot to warm the toes.