Gransnet forums

Chat

North v South - culture wars

(111 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 07:26:45

Jake Berry, the Tory MP for Rossendale and Darwen has said ballet and opera are at the heart of people’s culture in the south of England, but that people in the north prefer football.

Talk about lazy stereotyping!

Ashcombe Thu 12-Nov-20 07:31:34

If a similar remark were made stereotyping the interests of different races, there would be uproar! He will probably go far in the current government, sadly.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 07:45:44

It is the sort of rhetoric that came out of the White House when Trump was in charge.

It is so yesterday.

Inclusiveness is the order of the day now, it is just the Johnson government is behind the curve just as they are in everything.

PollyDolly Thu 12-Nov-20 07:54:28

many years ago whilst on a caravanning holiday in the South East of England I went into a butchers shop in a small town. As a lady was already being served I awaited my turn, looking at the various products on sale and deciding what to buy. The lady in front of me enquiried about a specific joint of beef, there was no price ticket on it so the butcher popped it on the scale and announced the cost. The lady decided not to buy the joint claiming it was too big for herself and her husband.

She paid for her other items and left the shop; my turn to be served. I said "good morning" to the butcher at which point he instantly realised that I wasn't a local. I asked about the same joint of beef as the previous customer. The butcher promptly put it on the scales and the price had increased by 50%!

Class divide or inflation? And no, I didn't buy his meat!

bikergran Thu 12-Nov-20 07:58:56

He obviously hasn't watched Billy Elliot.

Greyduster Thu 12-Nov-20 08:04:22

Opera North, Northern Ballet, anyone? Halle Orchestra? Liverpool Philharmonic? It’s not all whippets and flat ‘ats up ‘ere yer know! What a stupid man!

25Avalon Thu 12-Nov-20 08:07:24

This always annoys dh. He says why is the SW lumped in with the South particularly when talking about jobs and general wealth or lack of it by locals.
Sounds like Jack Berry thinks Northerners are working class with cloth caps and clogs - now there’s a stereotype. Has he not been to Manchester Exchange?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 08:12:34

It is all rubbish of course. There are different cultural likes and dislikes in all parts of the U.K. Some people even like football, as well as opera, just think of that!!

What is different are the life opportunities between different parts of the country.

But I would also like to point out that Cornwall is the most deprived area in the U.K. and you can’t get further south than that.

Let the nonsense cease!!

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:09:30

Milwall fans love the opera of course

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:10:58

Whenever we can brave the horrendous one way system that is Bradford city centre to go to the Alhambra for opera or ballet there is never an empty seat in the house.
Who is this ridiculous man?

eazybee Thu 12-Nov-20 09:11:10

I wouldn't say ballet and opera are at the heart of culture in the south, not least because of the extortionate ticket prices charged. The companies don't tour nearly as much as they used to, either, despite all the seats being sold out well in advance.

Iam64 Thu 12-Nov-20 09:12:54

I'd never heard of Jake Berry, wikepedia tells me he was born in Liverpool, one of the great northern cities. He ought to know better than to make such sweeping, ill informed and bigoted statements.
Opera North, Northern Ballet, Halle Orchestra, Royal Exchange Theatre, Liverpool Philharmonic to name just the famous ones. Most towns have small theatres, Bolton has the Octagon, nationally renowned.
Wot an idiot. Let's hope he loses his seat next time round.

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:14:47

Ah. He is in fact a northerner trying to save northern football clubs but he’s used a silly statement to make his point. There was no need to make that “comparison” surely he could have just said how important football is for many people in the north, as indeed in the south ?

sodapop Thu 12-Nov-20 09:19:14

Why does this myth persist that everyone from the North of England is not very bright and devoid of taste and artistic appreciation. Is it another myth that it is perpetuated by people from the South of England ?
Nothing wrong with enjoying football either.

JenniferEccles Thu 12-Nov-20 09:22:37

Doesn’t anyone else think that this was very probably said as a joke, a tongue in cheek kind of remark, knowing full well what the reaction would be?

Never mind, another excuse to have a pop at a Tory.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 09:24:29

JenniferEccles

Doesn’t anyone else think that this was very probably said as a joke, a tongue in cheek kind of remark, knowing full well what the reaction would be?

Oh you mean like the one in the letter left by the Labour minister??

Oh! Yes I get it now

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:25:25

Oh come on. Watch the man.
Who needs excuses anyway with the debacle happening over Cain etc

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:26:20

MY post to JE obviously, not WWM2

Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 09:26:52

It gets worse!

"Our Glyndebourne, Royal Ballet, Royal Opera House, Royal Shakespeare company would be Blackburn Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Barrow & Sunderland"

grin

Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 09:27:45

JenniferEccles

Watch the film clip - he's deadly serious!

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:28:07

Every time a politician says something offensive/stupid/tactless etc there’s this “oh it was tongue in cheek” excuse

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:28:49

River walk, exactly !

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 09:29:37

JenniferEccles

Well I have no doubt there’ll be a few along soon ...

LauraNorder Thu 12-Nov-20 09:36:14

Oh well, at least we in the north don’t eat jellied eels, yuk

Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 09:42:17

sodapop

Why does this myth persist that everyone from the North of England is not very bright and devoid of taste and artistic appreciation. Is it another myth that it is perpetuated by people from the South of England ?
Nothing wrong with enjoying football either.

Is it any wonder that this myth persists when a Northern MP spouts such nonsense.