Gransnet forums

Chat

North v South - culture wars

(112 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 07:26:45

Jake Berry, the Tory MP for Rossendale and Darwen has said ballet and opera are at the heart of people’s culture in the south of England, but that people in the north prefer football.

Talk about lazy stereotyping!

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 20:07:13

Thanks Lucca...so what he was doing was making a powerful case for help for the North and going rather OTT
About football and how important it is there,equating Accrington Stanley to the ballet ( for Southerners.) It’s daft of course, because Londoners ( for example) are just as potty about football as anywhere in the North, and ballet fans just as numerous anywhere.If he was your MP though, you could say his heart was in the right place.

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 20:13:29

I'm just very confused, being from the Midlands.

Am I cultured or am I not?

I think I'm eclectic.

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 22:15:47

You are in the middle of the country Callistemon so you love ballet and football equally.?
Why aren’t you in The Argy drinking naval cocktails btw?

LauraNorder Fri 13-Nov-20 23:55:48

Why would Callistemon go to the Argy for a cocktail Lemon when she can come north for a pint of stout or go south for a fine fruity merlot, so much choice.

welbeck Fri 13-Nov-20 23:59:11

but northeners are said to be more friendly because they will talk to strangers on trains/buses.
if you did that in London, people would edge away from you as if you are mentally unstable. generally.

3nanny6 Sat 14-Nov-20 00:19:43

My best ballet film is Billy Elliot I have watched it a million times and it was set in a mining town up north has Jake Berry never heard of it.
People in the South are football mad has he never heard of Chelsea, Arsenal (The Gunners) Tottenham Hotspurs, Queens Park Rangers and many more that is the culture of the South.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 09:52:41

Why aren’t you in The Argy drinking naval cocktails btw?

I'm in the Captain's cabin, drinking pink gins, watching while he performs a passable Von Rothbart in his tights.

LauraNorder Sat 14-Nov-20 10:07:12

Sounds like a rather naughty euphemism Callistemon.
I’ve obviously spent too much time in the Argy,

Sarnia Sat 14-Nov-20 10:10:00

I live in the South and I can't stand ballet and opera but I do love football. Perhaps I should move north of Watford.............

Greyduster Sat 14-Nov-20 10:48:40

“Tha’ll allus be welcome, Sarnia, lass!

paddyanne Sat 14-Nov-20 11:26:38

I've always found these generalisations very odd.My family lived in Glasgow for a century or more ,they all loved opera ,they all played golf...It makes me laugh whenI hear the snobbery that surrounds being a member of a golf club on mainly English programmes .Wee boys from the tenements took a golf club to the municiple clubs when I was wee ,my Dad played golf as a boy and he was an orphan!

Snobbery of any type is horrible ,its that "class" thing rearing its ugly head where there is no justification.We all like different things...none of it defines who we are you can like football AND golf or ballet .