Gransnet forums

Chat

North v South - culture wars

(112 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 12-Nov-20 07:26:45

Jake Berry, the Tory MP for Rossendale and Darwen has said ballet and opera are at the heart of people’s culture in the south of England, but that people in the north prefer football.

Talk about lazy stereotyping!

paddyanne Sat 14-Nov-20 11:26:38

I've always found these generalisations very odd.My family lived in Glasgow for a century or more ,they all loved opera ,they all played golf...It makes me laugh whenI hear the snobbery that surrounds being a member of a golf club on mainly English programmes .Wee boys from the tenements took a golf club to the municiple clubs when I was wee ,my Dad played golf as a boy and he was an orphan!

Snobbery of any type is horrible ,its that "class" thing rearing its ugly head where there is no justification.We all like different things...none of it defines who we are you can like football AND golf or ballet .

Greyduster Sat 14-Nov-20 10:48:40

“Tha’ll allus be welcome, Sarnia, lass!

Sarnia Sat 14-Nov-20 10:10:00

I live in the South and I can't stand ballet and opera but I do love football. Perhaps I should move north of Watford.............

LauraNorder Sat 14-Nov-20 10:07:12

Sounds like a rather naughty euphemism Callistemon.
I’ve obviously spent too much time in the Argy,

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 09:52:41

Why aren’t you in The Argy drinking naval cocktails btw?

I'm in the Captain's cabin, drinking pink gins, watching while he performs a passable Von Rothbart in his tights.

3nanny6 Sat 14-Nov-20 00:19:43

My best ballet film is Billy Elliot I have watched it a million times and it was set in a mining town up north has Jake Berry never heard of it.
People in the South are football mad has he never heard of Chelsea, Arsenal (The Gunners) Tottenham Hotspurs, Queens Park Rangers and many more that is the culture of the South.

welbeck Fri 13-Nov-20 23:59:11

but northeners are said to be more friendly because they will talk to strangers on trains/buses.
if you did that in London, people would edge away from you as if you are mentally unstable. generally.

LauraNorder Fri 13-Nov-20 23:55:48

Why would Callistemon go to the Argy for a cocktail Lemon when she can come north for a pint of stout or go south for a fine fruity merlot, so much choice.

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 22:15:47

You are in the middle of the country Callistemon so you love ballet and football equally.?
Why aren’t you in The Argy drinking naval cocktails btw?

Callistemon Fri 13-Nov-20 20:13:29

I'm just very confused, being from the Midlands.

Am I cultured or am I not?

I think I'm eclectic.

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 20:07:13

Thanks Lucca...so what he was doing was making a powerful case for help for the North and going rather OTT
About football and how important it is there,equating Accrington Stanley to the ballet ( for Southerners.) It’s daft of course, because Londoners ( for example) are just as potty about football as anywhere in the North, and ballet fans just as numerous anywhere.If he was your MP though, you could say his heart was in the right place.

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 19:00:56

twitter.com/richard_kaputt/status/1326518659121094663?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1326555976539967488%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-england-lancashire-54908862

There it is

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 18:55:02

I’m a Northerner who has lived in many different counties over the years including the Southern counties, and have found that Northerners are no more ( or less) friendlier than anywhere else.I have loved living in all the areas, and all have many things to recommend them.
The only thing I can agree on is that housing is infinitely more affordable in the North, but it’s a helluva lot colder up there.?

lemongrove Fri 13-Nov-20 18:50:40

I think I would have to hear the whole of what Jake Berry actually said ( in context) before dropping on him from a great height with bovver boots on.
As a bald statement....it’s obviously ridiculous.

Newatthis Fri 13-Nov-20 18:43:40

I was brought up in Liverpool during the 50's,60's and 70's and yes it was very a deprived city as it took a long time to recover from the Blitz. However, when the city was given the City of Culture grant from the EU the city used the money very wisely and now it is a thriving, beautiful city which bursts with cultural. Added to that the people are, and have remained probably the friendliest, most helpful people I've ever met. I now live in a small village (still in the North West) which is beautiful in a very picturesque part of the country. In the north the property is cheaper, therefore many people can afford bigger houses than they would be able to if they lived in the south. I think the lifestyle and standard of living is better. Northerners tend to be more friendly than the places in the south where I lived previously for 10 years so I can speak from experience, although I did make some friends while living there.

Greyduster Fri 13-Nov-20 09:51:17

It’s one of the tragedy’s of the last thirty years that we have lost most of our brass bands since the collieries from whom they took their names and their members have closed. There are one or two clinging on. You either love ‘em or hate ‘em, but they were a wonderful introduction into music playing for very many children who grew up with the bands and became members in their turn. The Grimethorpe, the jewel in the crown of brass bands, are still going strong and giving sell out concerts up and down the country. Tickets are gone as fast as dates are announced. We’ve been to many and they never fail to impress, but funding has been a problem in the recent past, as for many orchestras and choirs.

trisher Fri 13-Nov-20 09:32:56

I was thinking of the working class culture that endured through all the years of physical hard work, culture not based upon buying an expensve ticket for some posh venue or seeing the latest in-thing, but based on a deep love of something special. It was the base of the colliery brass bands, choirs in church halls, evening classes on the arts, painting clubs and many other arts based organisations. Think Brassed Off and The Pitman Painters. The North probably has more culture than all the posh venues in the South .
Callistemon
Eeeh t ' 'Alle. Aa've 'eard o them. Right posh int 'e!

Sloegin Fri 13-Nov-20 01:21:24

My husband and I moved to North Devon many years ago in August, height of the tourist season and I ( from N.ireland) didn't find the shops at all friendly as they obviously thought I was a holidaymaker, or grockle as the N Devon folk call them. As soon as holiday season was over, and they realised I was a resident, things improved although in Devon always a bit of an outsider. It takes about three generations before your a local.

Lexisgranny Fri 13-Nov-20 00:11:07

It would not surprise me in the slightest if all this antagonism could be traced back to Anglo Saxon times when there were seven kingdoms: Northumbria, East Anglia, Mercia, Kent, Essex, Sussex and Wessex (The Heptarchy), the inhabitants of each kingdom not being adverse to the odd battle or three by all accounts. Maybe it is just in our genes and over the generations it just became more verbal!!

welbeck Thu 12-Nov-20 23:55:11

football fans are known for their singing, both on the away coach and in the stands.
i think it must be hard for the players to give of their best without that wall of sound echoing around.
come on you spurs !
oh when the spurs, go marching in...

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 23:43:23

trisher

Ee by gum. Aa'd post an answer to this but aa've whippets to walk, coal to shovel, an me flat cap to polish.

I was just going to post
Ee bah gum, me friend used to play in t'Hallé Orchestra Band but I don't know where he put his flat cap and ferret when he were playing.

GreenGran78 Thu 12-Nov-20 23:36:31

I’ve forgotten. How many football clubs are there in London?

Fennel Thu 12-Nov-20 20:50:59

I'm from the NE too but have lived in other parts of the country and of the world. Now back 'home'.
No doubt about it - there's definitely a big difference between social attitudes in N and S England .
Don't know about cultural, I like classical music but can't be bothered with opera and ballet etc.
Football is good but prefer to watch rugby.

Iam64 Thu 12-Nov-20 19:54:58

As an afterthought, I wonder if Jake the Fake was referring to some of our fantastic northern footballers when he mentioned ballet. That Marcus Rashford I a lovely mover and he isn't alone.

growstuff Thu 12-Nov-20 18:56:36

sandelf

I am northern (even worse Liverpudlian!). Very middle class upbringing and social circle as a child. Speak clear RP. Have much amusement here on the south coast where we now live. When people learn where I'm from, some suddenly look distracted 'mentally counting the silver'. That said most are pretty good considering the awful way the press play up our supposed differences - there are deprived areas in the south too but you'd never think it from the papers.

Do they check the hubs on their wheels? grin

from

somebody born and bred on the Wirral (within sight of the three Graces) and now living in exile.