Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(84 Posts)
12Michael Fri 13-Nov-20 06:05:48

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but its dry outside here in Brackley this morning .
usual shop ,and maybe later get some Fish & Chips take away wise , before another quiet day indoors .
Maybe some household tasks as well .
Take care ,
Mick

Ashcombe Fri 13-Nov-20 06:08:25

Good morning to Mick and company from a soggy Torbay!

Yesterday was DH's birthday and his age (72) now matches the department number in which he lives in France! In keeping with most other significant dates in 2020, we were in separate countries. When we married we knew we’d have time together and apart in our respective countries but this year has been exceptional!

We had planned to spend Christmas in France but I’m delaying booking the ferry until I’ve a better idea of the Covid and Brexit situation. As it is, I think I shall need an International Driving Permit from the start of 2021.

The car hire story took an amusing turn yesterday when I had phone calls simultaneously, one on the landline and one on my mobile, from both the head office and the local depot of Enterprise Rentals. Both were pleased to tell me that I’m now entitled to collect a hire car from them!

“Really?”, I replied, “That’s interesting as I’ve been in possession of one of your cars since it was delivered here on Tuesday afternoon!”

By the end of the call from the Head Office, the representative was left in no doubt as to the exact circumstances pertaining to the incident. He seemed confused - no doubt my response didn’t fit the script from which he was working!

Wishing everyone the best of days whatever you have to face.

harrigran Fri 13-Nov-20 06:37:40

Good morning from dry but still very dark NE.
DH is in a lot of pain and yesterday was a bad day for him. I must have twisted my back because I developed pain in my left hip at bedtime.
At 4am I decamped to the spare room and read my book for an hour or so, tried to snooze but it started to get noisy with people leaving for work. One chap works for a demolition company and parks his van at our gable end.
Late yesterday we heard via FB that a talented photographer from our town has died from covid, he took wonderful photos of the area and created lovely calendars. He wasn't old, this virus does not discriminate.
Take care everyone.

Beechnut Fri 13-Nov-20 06:39:46

Good Morning everyone from a wet Severnside.

You could have ended up with two cars Ashcombe and sold one ?

An early shop for me and then I ought to move the dust about and do some hooverig.
I might spend the afternoon in the chair watching the tv. Although every day is my own to do or not do as I wish I always think of Friday afternoons as my time. I think it stems from the fact my husband used to finish work at lunchtime on a Friday.

Have a good day all whatever you do ?

Ashcombe Fri 13-Nov-20 06:47:18

Beechnut: that’s exactly what I said to DH in our subsequent Zoom call! ???

Urmstongran Fri 13-Nov-20 06:56:57

Good morning everyone from Malaga where we have rain forecast late afternoon, tonight and tomorrow.
☔️
Never mind we have a row of big fat sunshine’s for all of next week and highs of 25°C!
☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

I’m out to lunch downstairs at Juan’s with the lady who came out on her own, her husband died in February. She flies back to the UK at 7pm. It’s been a bittersweet few weeks for her with her memories. She said she cried when she put her key in the door when she arrived. When they’d last been over she’d not expected to be back without her dear husband. The apartment was the same as they’d left it but being back here was upsetting on her own. As she said, it’s learning to navigate life now in a different way.

Hope Friday is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Marydoll Fri 13-Nov-20 07:02:02

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow. I've been awake for hours, all sorts of things going through my head.

I didn't have a good day yesterday, physically or mentally, due to a certain poster trying to trip me up in my posts. again. Its making me very wary of what I post and has sucked the joy from GN for me.
So much upset here at the moment, with two members leaving GN yesterday. ?
Usually, I can rise above it, but I'm finding it so hard at the moment.

EV, I'm so pleased to see you back. I do hope, Mr&Mrs Harrigran feel better as the day goes on.

I'm currently trying to get a Tesco Christmas delivery slot, but the website has crashed and the slots don't even open until 7am. ?

Sorry for being an old misery guts today!

Beauregard Fri 13-Nov-20 07:08:29

Good morning from Derbyshire. I can hear the pouring rain on the window but it should brighten up later, hopefully.

The MB cake went down really well with my grandsons. I can see I've probably set myself up to provide a weekly after school treat in future. Things didn't go quite to plan when making it - I could only find the bar of milk chocolate. The bar of dark chocolate I needed was nowhere to be found. Despite my questioning DH denies any involvement in its disappearance hmm. It was still delicious without it though.

This morning we're going out for a walk. DH has carefully planned the route so we can pick up fish and chips on the way home - a rare treat nowadays and a blip in our healthy eating plan. We're looking forward to it more than the walk! After that we'll loll on the sofa and watch the racing, with a quick nip out to check the girls are fed and watered before it gets dark.

Ashcombe What a palaver with your insurance, and lots to think about with your plans to go to France.
harrigran sorry to hear you and your DH are in pain. Hope you're both feeling better soon flowers

Hope today is a good one for all.

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 07:11:55

You’re not a miseryguts Marydolol! I’m sure there are a few posters whose lack of enough to do is causing them to “take it out “ on others unnecessarily as happened to you yesterday.
I’ve been awake a lot too so I’m going to get tea and toast and bring it back to bed. An appalling habit I know but.....

Ashcombe Fri 13-Nov-20 07:12:25

Marydoll some days are like that. These are trying times and I’m sorry someone on GN has been unkind. To me it seems harder facing lockdown this time and I have other friends who feel similarly. Tears are never far away over the silliest things!

I wish you a sunnier future with guaranteed kindness from this lovely group. ???

MrsThreadgoode Fri 13-Nov-20 07:15:24

Good morning Mick and everyone, from what was, until about 10 minutes ago a calm and dry North Berks, then the heavens opened and the wind blew, so I guess it will be a wet day.
Marydoll sorry you had a rough day yesterday, GN has changed so much this year and a lot of people seem to get enjoyment from slamming into other posters.
GD had an upsetting day yesterday, she had to isolate with her family as one of them had Covid, she missed a week of school and went back yesterday morning, she had a one to one with a form tutor as she had missed some lessons, at lunchtime the whole class was sent home because that Tutor had taken a Covid Test, went in to school and got the result late in the morning - Positive! She was only with her for 5 minutes but I can’t believe the stupidity of the tutor, to get tested but go to school, so GD has another 14 days quarantine, she was in floods of tears when DD collected her.
Anyway, I know that others have worse problems , so I wish you all a good and safe day.
Chin up Marydoll and hang in there.

Scentia Fri 13-Nov-20 07:18:28

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is wet and blowing a hoolie out there. No dog walk until it calms down, she is very much a fair weather pooch!!
Working from home today and as soon as I have got up to date I will set to with building the learning tower for DGS.
Mary I am sorry you are struggling right now, I do think it is a wonderful place on Social Media but it can also be horrible to and the keyboard warriors will set about anyone. ❤️
I have a new phone and it has accessibility modes so the font is massive, I am rather sight poor! There is about one word on the screen when I get a message?
Welcome back EV it’s good to hear from you.
Take care everyone and stay safe. Remember to smile if you can, and if you can’t then just try not to cry??

cornergran Fri 13-Nov-20 07:19:38

Morning Mick, morning All. It looks wet in our corner of Somerset, the wind has picked up too. Mr C has almost finished his task list, may need to quietly add some things grin. I’m plodding through mine which was considerably longer. How did that happen?

I’m sorry yesterday was difficult marydoll, infuriates me and encourages a retreat. The saga of the hire care company would be amusing if not so seriously inept ashcombe. Look after yourselves Mr and Mrs harrigran, hope you’re both more comfortable by the end of the day.

Pain increase here too, bits that were OK aren’t now, the adjustment is exhausting sometimes. An indoors day for us today, think we’ll join beechnut and have the afternoon off. Take care everyone, as ever thinking of those with heavy hearts, have the best day you can.

Gingster Fri 13-Nov-20 07:20:49

Good morning from a grey looking Essex. We travelled back from our Suffolk seaside yesterday and are back within easy access to our friends and family. It’s a lovely feeling, although we can’t visit , we can see them through the windows and have chat on the driveway. Just knowing they’re close is like a warm hug. ♥️.

oh Marydoll you do sound fed up. I must be very dim, insensitive or just oblivious to various threads on GN. I never see any nastiness here or on our other threads. Perhaps a few opinionated discussions or silly posters but nothing that would keep me awake at night. Try to avoid confrontational members and just don’t reply, if it upsets you. ?. Hope today is better for you.

A day of settling back in here and waving to friendly neighbours.

Have a stress free day and happy thoughts to all. ???

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 07:20:49

Oh and it's raining stair rods here in god’s own county

Pittcity Fri 13-Nov-20 07:24:11

Good morning from a dark Colchester. We are due a band of heavy rain this morning. Hope it clears by lunchtime as we are viewing another potential new home.

We love you on this thread Marydoll ?

Jaxjacky Fri 13-Nov-20 07:28:26

Marydoll sorry to hear yesterday wasn’t a good day, hopefully better today ? I too was on Tesco site, in a queue. Ashcombe left and right hands, not coordinated! Already we have the boiler man here, fixing the pressure valve. Oops, forgot the weather...cloudy with a shower in S Hants, should brighten up later, when the men are due to cut the quartz worktops. As soon as the boiler man goes, I’m off to M&S to return a pair of moccasin slippers as they’re too big, slightly irritating. Not much else on the agenda today. Wishing you all a gentle day, thoughts with those in pain, both physically and mentally ?

Sar53 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:30:33

Good morning everyone from a dull and grey Essex by the sea. I don't think we will be seeing the sun anytime soon.
The saga of who knocked into our very heavy gates continues. DH watched the footage from one dustcart yesterday, we are waiting to hear when he can go and see the footage from the other.
We need to do some supermarket shopping this morning, no other plans today.
I'm sorry to hear of your upset yesterday Marydoll, I don't understand why some posters have to be so unkind in what they say. I have to agree that this year has not brought out the best in some people.
I hope you all get some enjoyment from today. Take care and stay safe everyone xx

NanKate Fri 13-Nov-20 07:33:17

Morning Mick and All.

Blue sky and cloud in the South Bucks sky today.

I think a group hug is in order today with our own Marydoll in the middle. These are dark days for many of us at present and so this is the place we need to come together for tears, support and laughter.

My DGS 7 made we laugh yesterday. He had received his school report which had said his use of words was excellent. I congratulated him and his reply was ‘do you know Nan I said the word obliterated today’ well it made me chuckle anyway.

Have the best day you can folks.

kittylester Fri 13-Nov-20 07:35:58

Good morning all from a sudden North Leicestershire. We have an appointment at the dump at 10.30 so the timing couldn't be better!

I need to acquire some cream this morning as dh has requested Stilton sauce with our steak this evening. I have the stilton but not the cream.

Sorry to hear you are in pain harri and your dh too. Take it easy today.

In fact, let's all have 'sit down' Friday afternoon.

Take care everyone.

brook2704 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:40:42

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve a showery blustery day in store according to the forecast.
Enjoy your walk and fish and chips beauguard - we’re also planning a walk somewhere later today, we’ll be very well wrapped up and have a coffee and cake stop along the way!
Hope your DH feels a bit better soon harrigran and you too
Sending good wishes to your neighbour urmstongran and a safe journey home, it must have been so difficult returning to their apartment on her own.
Sorry to hear you’re feeling so fed up marydoll sending ❤️
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:44:23

Good morning Mick and all

Grey here in S E Essex, we have the baby today I hope it stays dry so that we can go for a pram walk. Keeps him out of trouble and exercise for me.

GN seems particularly combative at the moment I think it’s Covid and Brexit uncertainty.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

BlueSapphire Fri 13-Nov-20 07:49:02

Good morning from s dark and grey morning in Northampton. Looks very windy out too.

Ended up yesterday watching two back to back episodes of Miss Marple - both books I'd read; it's interesting to see how and where they differ from the books, but generally they keep to the plot pretty well. Have just started my next book, this time a Poirot one.

Not a lot planned for today. Just general tidying up and hoovering downstairs as the cats are shedding a lot at the moment.

Hope the day goes well for us all.

Sark Fri 13-Nov-20 07:52:13

Good Morning everyone from Oxfordshire
Not much happening weather wise but rain forecast
Well they say it comes in threes...dishwasher packed up on Thursday, last night there was an almighty bang in the kitchen and the fridge has packed up and I have just walked into the lounge and the cat has been sick on the carpet!
Just realised it is Friday 13th!
Feels like a group hug is needed, so in the middle you go Marydoll and all our lovely goodmorningers who are strugglingflowers

Bellasnana Fri 13-Nov-20 08:00:49

Good morning from sunny Malta where it looks like another balmy day.

I had a very long chat with DGD in Florida yesterday which meant I was late to bed and consequently I’m very late waking up this morning.

What have I missed? How dare anyone upset our Marydoll? I didn’t see anything but, seriously, what is wrong with people? Please, please don’t let it get to you dear MD. I know it’s hard to ignore, but these sort of people clearly are unhappy with themselves if they have to try to belittle others. Don’t give them space in your head. flowers

Ashcombe that’s priceless about your car saga! When someone smashed into the back of mine (it was parked and nobody in it) the insurance would only supply a hire car for the actual time the car was being worked on. Since parts had to come from abroad, this was a long drawn out inconvenience.

Sad about your friend, Urmston. I know the feeling of those ‘firsts’ without a beloved DH. It’s so hard, but brave of her to do it, poor lady.

harrigran so sorry you’ve had a bad night and that you and your DH are in pain. Also, how very sad about the Covid death of someone local to you.

NanKate that’s lovely re your DGS! I’m constantly doing a double-take at some of the words DGD comes out with. I commented yesterday when she used a complicated word and she said ‘Nana, I’m in Grade 5 you know!’ Bless them, they are growing up too fast.?

I’ve got my weekly trip to the hairdresser this morning so had better get up.

So happy EV is back. Wish gilly would get in touch. Don’t know who left yesterday but it’s very sad to think people are being driven away because of unkind comments. Life’s too short and, especially at this time, we should be pulling together.

Sorry this is so long, I’ll shut up now but send you all best wishes for as good a day as possible.☀️