Gransnet forums

Chat

"Punctuality is the politeness of Kings" ?

(38 Posts)
phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 11:26:35

As the saying goes.

So I'm sitting here waiting for someone who said they were coming at 10.30.

I have a couple of phone calls to make that are likely to be long and complicated. I don't want to start them until my visitor has been and gone.

Starting to get a bit miffed.

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 11:30:59

I’m untidy and hopeless at finance and not very disciplined in general, but I Am punctual, for everything. I think it’s so rude to be late and these days with mobiles there’s no excuse for not letting someone know if you are unavoidably running late.

phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 11:32:55

I agree Lucca it is rude!

dragonfly46 Fri 13-Nov-20 11:36:13

It is extremely rude to be late - it indicates that you think your time is more valuable than theirs.
I am the opposite. I told the receptionist at the hospital the other day that I was obscenely early. She laughed and told me there was no such thing! She even made me a coffee.

felice Fri 13-Nov-20 11:39:25

I feel for you Phoenix, as one of our Church keyholders and living just 10 minutes from it I often deal with workmen etc.
I have lost count of the hours spent sitting on a hard pew near the door to let people in.
It is the ones who never seem to have the correct part and will be back in a few minutes that bug me.
2 hours later a text to say another day.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 13-Nov-20 11:41:37

Yes, punctuality is one of my virtues! Think it was drummed into us in our youth? We had to wait in for a roofer - he turned up next day without an apology!!

Fizz, fizz!!!!

LauraNorder Fri 13-Nov-20 11:43:34

Very annoying Phoenix complete disrespect. As has been said, the implication is that their time is more valuable than yours.

phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 11:43:59

What makes it worse is that it's a friend who is coming to collect something that I'm giving to her.

Elegran Fri 13-Nov-20 11:57:57

Phoenix I think I would leave it outside my front door with a note saying, "It is 11.30 - I have to do something important, can't wait for you any longer. Please don't ring the bell and interrupt me."

Parsley3 Fri 13-Nov-20 12:15:37

I get stressed if I think I am going to be late for anything, even when I know that it is not that essential to be on time. Punctuality is a virtue, imo.

Smileless2012 Fri 13-Nov-20 12:19:42

I always make sure I'm on time, which means being 5 or 10 minutes early and people turning up late is a pet hate of mine; especially if they're coming for a meal.

Jaxjacky Fri 13-Nov-20 12:21:35

I’m mortified if I’m late for anything and expect others to behave the same way, unfortunately it doesn’t always happen. I don’t know the answer phoenix with workmen, who are being paid, I will say something, especially reminding them I have a phone. With friends, I think you have to vocalise your disappointment, particularly as you’ve put yourself out, without an apology, I wouldn’t help again.

Grandmabatty Fri 13-Nov-20 12:21:44

That is very rude of her, especially when she's gaining something. I am always early or on time. My son on the other hand is never on time. It drives me crazy!

sodapop Fri 13-Nov-20 12:27:37

That is a long time to be kept waiting Phoenix I must admit I am often late by five or ten minutes but any longer and I would be calling to explain and apologise.
Hope your friend has arrived now and is suitably apologetic.

phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 12:30:04

She's just messaged. Her step father (who isn't in good health) has been taken quite poorly, so she's had to go there to help her mother.

I feel guilty now for complaining. blush

Namsnanny Fri 13-Nov-20 12:44:59

I expect you do, but to be fair a text to you just before she left the house would have sorted this!

BlueBelle Fri 13-Nov-20 12:51:40

It’s one of the few things I can pride myself on in fact I m the one there with a quarter of an hour to spare waiting for everyone else and I m the one at the airport or train station with hours to spare
Well she did have a valid reason this time so we ll let her off but that’s the last chance ?

EllanVannin Fri 13-Nov-20 12:51:44

Without an explanation is even worse. I can't be doing with anyone who's late. I take after mum in that respect, it was one of her deadly sins toward those who were late and woe betide.

Marmight Fri 13-Nov-20 13:05:17

Unless there’s a very good reason for being late, it is just plain rude. I have one very good friend who is renowned for it. I always give her a 3/4 hour earlier time. It seems to work so she arrives ‘on time’. On the other hand if I arrive at her designated time she is never ready so I aim to arrive 3/4 hour later ?.
However hard I try not to, I seem to arrive on the dot and have been known to walk round the block a couple of times so as not to appear too eager ?

Squiffy Fri 13-Nov-20 13:05:34

The reason for her tardiness is very sad, but at least you now know that there was a valid reason and she wasn't just being inconsiderate. No need for you to feel guilty - how were you to know!

Lexisgranny Fri 13-Nov-20 13:12:24

Both my husband and I are obsessively punctual and agree that by far the most exasperating thing is when matters are beyond your control, eg waiting for someone. However I must say that it has got worse over the years and now I have developed my father’s habit of pressing for a time when someone says “I’ll pop over tomorrow afternoon”. Really the choice is do I want you to find me cleaning out the kitchen cupboards because I didn’t know when to expect you, or do I sit primly on the sofa pretending to flick through a magazine with one eye on the window. I suppose this is also linked with a compulsion to keep busy which I didn’t realise I had!!

phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 13:25:49

Actually, she is quite often late. I said to Mr P that she was coming at 10.30, and he said "That means nearer 11"" , but she doesn't usually keep me waiting for an hour, and generally she does message to say if she's running late.

I think she probably got a bit flustered when her mother phoned to say step father wasn't well.

Baggs Fri 13-Nov-20 14:43:00

Five minutes early is on time
On time is late
Late is unacceptable

Can't remember where I saw this but I like it.

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 14:48:32

It can go to extremes....as I said I’m very punctual but if we are flying somewhere my bloke will want to be at the airport half a day before the flight.....

crazyH Fri 13-Nov-20 14:48:42

'Five minutes early'....that's me