Gransnet forums

Chat

No sh*t Sherlock! ?

(94 Posts)
phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 21:19:33

Or stupid things that some people say.

Tonight, on Googlebox: "Well, I won't be having the vaccine, because I don't like needles (or he may have said injections) "

Well of course, some people just love them, don't they? hmm

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 14:00:41

My mum has a needle phobia but being of the generation she is, she refers to it as "not liking needles". She triumphed over it to get her flu jab this year, because she understood how really important it was.

Lots of posts this morning about being kind to people. Maybe we could try that here.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 14:19:17

yggdrasil

I have to inject myself in the stomach every day for a month, something to do with blood thinning. It isn't easy, but it doesn't hurt much at all until I poke my finger trying to find the place :-)

I had to do that too after I had a fracture. I had to point the needle in the right spot then look away when I injected myself.

I'm used to needles but can't look when someone's taking blood, however, the worst thing is having a cannula fitted so have a vaccination is no problem in comparison.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 14:20:20

That's Heparin, Yggdrasil.
Yes, that's the one.

Grannybags Sat 14-Nov-20 14:33:38

My Mum used to have injections in her eye ?

She was in her 90s and very calm about it all. It did help to save her sight in that eye

Gwyneth Sat 14-Nov-20 16:00:20

Grannybags I have never been bothered with injections but anything to do with eyes makes me cringe. Your Mum was very brave but if it saves your sight it must be done!

Doodledog Sat 14-Nov-20 16:13:18

What I don't understand (and I'm genuinely not having a go at anyone - it's just something that makes no sense to me) is why what other people do and don't do should irritate someone else.

If someone is nervous of injections, why would it irritate you beyond belief? And if at some point they need a blood transfusion, how would you know about it, and why would it occur to you to wonder if they would accept one?

There's a huge difference between saying 'I am scared of injections so I won't have a flu jab', and 'I will die if I don't have a transfusion, so I will have one'. Saying the former does not mean that the latter is hypocritical.

A friend of mine seems to spend half her life being irritated by people who don't do things exactly as she does. Keeping eggs in the fridge, using soap in bottles instead of bars, sending 'too many' Christmas cards - all of that and more are things that 'really get on her nerves' when others do them. It baffles me grin.

Trisha57 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:32:56

As a child of 6, I had severe tonsilitis and had to have an emergency op to remove them as I had developed quinsies which were threatening to block my airway. The doctor wanted to type my blood in case of any complications, but he told me he was just going to put a dot on my finger with a pen. Out shot the little needle and I was very shocked and upset, to say the least. Then, because I was understandably nervous at the pre-med injection, instead of calming me three nurses sat on my body and legs while they injected my ankle. I can still remember all this with great clarity. To say that I have been needle-phobic is an understatement. However, when my mum developed Lyphoma in her 80s I had to go with her every few weeks for her chemo and that cured me once and for all because I was the one calming and comforting her and I had to overcome my fears and squeamishness. I am still not fond of needles (as has been said before, who is?) but I have finally overcome my fear. This is why I generally empathise with those who genuinely struggle with them. I will have the vaccine when it comes around, but I completely understand why some will not.

Shropshirelass Sat 14-Nov-20 16:36:28

It doesn’t bother me to have injections. I do think that I would like to know what effects this vaccine will have on our DNA as I believe this is how it works. What effects will it have two years down the line? I am not sure I want my DNA messed with but I also want protection from COVID 19.

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:44:10

It will have no effect on your DNA. That's not what it does.

If you want protection, take the vaccine.

Jane10 Sat 14-Nov-20 19:53:41

Alegrias2 ?

Marydoll Sat 14-Nov-20 20:03:06

You won't have to worry about your DNA , if you die from Covid!

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 23:30:04

Shropshirelass

It doesn’t bother me to have injections. I do think that I would like to know what effects this vaccine will have on our DNA as I believe this is how it works. What effects will it have two years down the line? I am not sure I want my DNA messed with but I also want protection from COVID 19.

That is another conspiracy theory, Shropshirelass.

It won't affect your DNA.

Marydoll Sat 14-Nov-20 23:51:22

So many dangerous Covid conspiracies doing the rounds, many originating from Facebook.
Just like one which says 99% of people who catch Covid survive. I believe that one started on Facebook in the USA.

quizqueen Sat 14-Nov-20 23:57:40

re gogglebox comments; I only saw a few moments of the highlights of I'm a Celebrity and Paul Burrell screaming like a baby was on and that was from years ago, so how can it just have been from 2019?

Janiepops Sun 15-Nov-20 01:18:54

Hi EllanVannin, just noticed you have Atrial fibrillation, it’s a pig isn’t it?! Think you’re going to die when it happens! My first attack I was 39. I’m 68 now, I got a pacemaker 20 odd years ago, now waiting for my fourth one! Hopefully before Xmas!
You’ll be fine by the way, but it hard to handle sometimes, I’m in AF 100% of the time now ?
Just thought I’d show you some support ??
I enjoy your posts!

Alegrias2 Sun 15-Nov-20 06:11:21

Marydoll

So many dangerous Covid conspiracies doing the rounds, many originating from Facebook.
Just like one which says 99% of people who catch Covid survive. I believe that one started on Facebook in the USA.

That's not a conspiracy theory though Marydoll, the Infection Fatality Rate for Covid is around 1% in a rich country with a population skewed towards the elderly.

www.imperial.ac.uk/news/207273/covid-19-deaths-infection-fatality-ratio-about/

I see that the Labour party has called for laws to be put in place to stop the publication of conspiracy theories on social media.

annsixty Sun 15-Nov-20 07:48:57

I really don’t mind needles at all, well at least I don’t get in a tizz about them.
I had 18 months of monthly eye injections and having had BC lots of bloods taken and two lots of samples taken directly from the nipple, now that is painful, but the worst has been the spinal block for surgery.
At least with that one though, you can’t see it.
We all have our phobias, let us not criticise anyone who has one.
Thinking hard about the COVID one, at over 80, I will be about 3rd group to be offered it.
Can’t decide yay or nay yet.

Marydoll Sun 15-Nov-20 08:09:09

Alegrias I quoted that example, because a Covid denier, quoting that theory came on here a couple of months ago, trying to convince everyone that Covid was not dangerous.

The theory was doing the rounds and started in the USA on Facebook, where the survival rate at that time was around 93%. Facebook and You Tube are hotbeds of Covid conspiracy theories. I did read recently the rate was 97%, but I can't find the article again.
Of course whatever rate you quote will be skewed by which section of the population you are discussing.

I have no desire to quibble about percentages, I just want to ensure that wacky theories are not touted on here, without scientific evidence and people taken in.
Posters need to query these theories, find out for themselves the actual facts and then make a decision.

Kalu Sun 15-Nov-20 08:33:03

The only time I had painful injections were steroid injections to treat calcific tendonitis in both shoulders. Not nearly as painful as the excruciating pain of the condition.

I had a B12 shot once and once was enough Petra. Ouch!

Charleygirl5 Sun 15-Nov-20 08:36:41

I have been taking part for the last year in a worldwide eye trial which has involved one eye injected monthly. It sounds horrendous but I do not feel a thing. Because it is a trial, a % are receiving the placebo but I know I am not because my eye has not deteriorated since the start. I feel very fortunate and look forward to having the treatment.

My attitude is if something has to be done, do it and get it over with quickly. The Covid vaccine does not excite me but I will be in the queue.

Mauriherb Sun 15-Nov-20 10:29:33

It amuses me to hear some people say the don't like needles, but they have tattoos!!

Camelotclub Sun 15-Nov-20 10:36:57

Janiepops
I'm now in permanent AF after two cardioversions ( couldn't face that catheter ablation) which didn't work so am on various meds which seem to control it. Nobody mentioned a pacemaker at any juncture. I am OK most of the time but not very good on hills. Good thing I don't live in the Highlands!

Bazza Sun 15-Nov-20 10:40:57

Also love the Siddiqui family. Witty, funny and intelligent. Is there a mum?

Alioop Sun 15-Nov-20 10:58:33

I have a fear of needles, but of course I will get the vaccine, if I need blood tests done I get them. I am prone to fainting when I see or even think about the needle, have done since I was in my teens. To me, the embarrassment of me fainting gets me more worked up about the injection too. Some may think it's silly, but then maybe I would think something you do is silly too.

Candelle Sun 15-Nov-20 11:00:38

I know of someone who disliked needles to the point of refusing injections to save her sight.

She became blind in the affected eye.

I don't have a problem with injections/needles (which is helpful as I have needed contact with many!) but can just about understand how affected some people are.