Gransnet forums

Chat

No sh*t Sherlock! ?

(94 Posts)
phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 21:19:33

Or stupid things that some people say.

Tonight, on Googlebox: "Well, I won't be having the vaccine, because I don't like needles (or he may have said injections) "

Well of course, some people just love them, don't they? hmm

GillT57 Sun 15-Nov-20 14:14:54

To those on FB who point out the 99% survival rate from covid19 it is worth pointing out that means in excess of 650,000 deaths in this country, and that's without the long covid complications. If my maths is right....

I was shouting a the radio yesterday when they were discussing the letter from a consortium of major retailers who were saying that unless shops opened before Christmas, it would be devastating for retailers....a real No Sh*t Sherlock statement if ever there was one. This was followed on by a warning that if we don't all behave ourselves, then Christmas would be cancelled. Honestly, you would think it was a head teacher addressing a school full of naughty children.

elleks Sun 15-Nov-20 14:28:25

EllanVannin

That's Heparin, Yggdrasil. I've had a couple of those in the past. Didn't notice the first one as I was in AF.

Or tinzaparin; I had a community nurse come to do mine for 2 weeks after my knee replacement.

elleks Sun 15-Nov-20 14:37:43

I've been giving blood for nearly 50 years, and over the last couple of years it's got more painful when they insert the needle. It was only on my last visit that the nurse pointed out that the vein itself had probably developed scar tissue, making it more difficult to insert the needle. I'm going to ask them to try the other arm next time.

Bluecat Sun 15-Nov-20 14:40:32

The "I hate hospitals" remark really annoys me, because it's usually used as an excuse for not visiting someone. My ex-SiL failed to visit his dying father because he "hated hospitals" and "hated seeing his dad with cancer." Like the rest of the family really enjoyed it.

Alegrias2 Sun 15-Nov-20 14:44:52

To those on FB who point out the 99% survival rate from covid19 it is worth pointing out that means in excess of 650,000 deaths in this country, and that's without the long covid complications.

It also means that someone who catches COVID is far more likely to survive than not. You are also far more likely not to suffer from long COVID than to get it. Chris Whitty used to talk about the individual risk a lot, but that's not the "company line" any more. The Government has a vested interest in convincing us that the end of the world is nigh, so that we obey the rules like the naughty children being promised Xmas, and we get bombarded every night on the news with the worst, most awful cases. Its not minimising the significant effects of the pandemic or dismissing the long term impacts of long COVID to point out that individual risk is low.

God, now I sound like a conspiracy theorist confused

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 15:14:23

This was followed on by a warning that if we don't all behave ourselves, then Christmas would be cancelled

There's no Father Christmas either, GillT57. shock it was far too difficult getting the elves to self-distance in the workshop.
(Boris said not to tell Wilfred.)

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 15:15:51

That post made no sense whatsoever! The dog needs attention
grin

ElaineRI55 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:18:21

I think that the Siddiqui brother explained the vaccine well. Can we have him as Prime Minister?
I agree. They seem to be a very sensible, down-to-earth family with a good sense of humour.
A lot of the goggle-box participants seem to talk more sense than our PM!
It does seem bizarre when people say they don't like something that none of us like and try to use that as an excuse for not doing something they should. My sister-in-law's boyfriend (lawyer in his twenties) wouldn't visit her in hospital after a serious accident as he didn't like hospitals. Thankfuly, she didn't marry him!

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:19:05

I suppose the govt has to take this line because of the people who just ignore it and carry on regardless. We all know people like that. So it's doubly annoying for us to be put at risk by these selfish people and to have to put up with being lectured or threatened by the govt!

NonnaJazz Sun 15-Nov-20 15:49:26

Interesting thread but it is not Googlebox.....it is Gogglebox!

A Gogglebox is an old slang-like term for a television.

phoenix Sun 15-Nov-20 16:03:44

Nonnajazz

I know that, but my tablet thinks it knows best, you should see some of the words it comes up with.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 15-Nov-20 16:21:29

So do these people who don't like needles refuse anaesthetics if operated on or if having a filling at the dentist?

I doubt it!

Rainwashed Sun 15-Nov-20 16:40:49

I know nobody likes needles, however some people have a real phobia of them. Overcoming these things is not easy, although I agree it would be advisable to do so.

Jane10 Sun 15-Nov-20 17:02:34

My friend always refuses an anaesthetic at the dentist as she thinks it makes them concentrate harder on what they're doing!
Frankly, by the time I'd had 2 children with all the blood tests and indignities involved I just put my life in the hands of whoever is doing whatever procedure and put up with it. My knee replacements with spinal block and sedation followed by various tests plus the injection in my (large) stomach have inured me to medical visits of all sorts.

4allweknow Sun 15-Nov-20 17:45:56

A lot of surgery now requires the patient to inject blood thinning drugs on a daily basis for a month. Wonder how those who wouldn't have just one for a vaccine would fare. Just take their chance they don't land up with a clot needing a lot more invasive needle treatment.

Nitpick48 Sun 15-Nov-20 23:56:17

I have to give myself a daily injection into my tummy fat every single day. Luckily I have plenty. (!) Have done it for 8 years and it will be for the rest of my life. It stings like mad but only lasts for a few seconds. It’s worth it though as it keeps me well. The injection that I had into my arthritic thumb was the worst pain I ever had, but the doc warned it would would hurt like hell for 15 seconds then it will be over. I grabbed on to the nurse’s hand and counted up to 15, through gritted teeth. I went through it twice but it didn’t really help. The one into my arthritic knee has lasted 3 years and didn’t hurt a bit! I will be having the vaccine as it’s the only way out of this pandemic. I don’t care if it hurts .... having babies hurts but it doesn’t stop most of us from going through it, often more than once!

ninathenana Mon 16-Nov-20 09:06:14

I wonder how they would cope with insulin injections twice a day. Plus the finger prick testing.
I've just made DH's appointment for his B12 jab. I don't know if he finds them painful

Saggi Mon 16-Nov-20 09:47:01

Needles....thought we all loved them. My husband doesn’t attend docs or hospital for any test as he “doesn’t like needles”..... I stopped trying years ago as you can’t ‘save somebody, he doesn’t want saving’.