Gransnet forums

Chat

Is lock down making you lazy.....

(255 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 14-Nov-20 09:45:35

Being as the dark nights and colder weather now rolling in i find myself starting to get lazy. In the last LD i worked every day in the garden and also walked. Now i walk for an hour a day and after completing necessary chores, time is on my hands. I have things i could do but i can't be bothered. Before there was a sense of urgency to complete tasks as i had social activities to go to, family and friends to visit and meet up with. In the summer there was the nuturing of plants in the greenhouse and garden and even after evening meal the watering of both to be done. I find myself spending more time trawling on the internet or sitting watching tv and knitting. I dont like it, is this the slippery slope to complete inactivity!!!! I also find that y diet is also up the creek because i get up later i have breakfast later, dont want lunch and make do with a cuppa and some bics around 3ish. Rarely do i want an evening meal but have to cook for DH so make myself eat something. I feel the whole stucture of my daily life has disappeared.

TerriBull Sat 14-Nov-20 11:40:32

Yes your opening post resonated with me to a certain extent travelsofar. I still try to walk every day, weather permitting, or do on line yoga if the weather is bad. Increasingly I spend quite a lot of time faffing around on my laptop, doing my French and drinking coffee during the morning and that's getting later I've become a woman in a dressing gown and get dressed eventually. I'm dressed and showered at this moment in time! Now we are back in full lockdown and restricted to local areas, walks have become repetitive and has taken the shine off some of our regular ones we do in Bushy and Richmond Parks which are both beautiful and we are lucky to have them so I feel really bad saying I've become bored with all of it lately. Sometimes I shift my shower to later in the day, say after the walk or the supermarket shop, I don't have that get up and get ready first thing feeling anymore. I feel a sort of apathy has set in, probably that's how a lot of us feel given we are all living in a limbo right now and suffering from lockdown fatigue!

Kate1949 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:41:22

Retirement made me lazy. When I was working I had a routine for household chores. I usually stuck to it. Now I think 'I can do that tomorrow' so things get put off.

GrannySomerset Sat 14-Nov-20 11:54:54

Another one who is worried about total inertia setting in. Usually pretty efficient and organised, I find myself putting off tasks which are not absolutely essential. Procrastinate now is my default setting. And with nowhere to go and no-one to visit us it is hard to be mor than clean and tidy, and avoiding the mirror is all too easy since it doesn’t tell me anything I want to hear.

Any advice will be more than welcome!

Lexisgranny Sat 14-Nov-20 12:02:03

Having put the garden to bed for the winter (we tend to be fair weather gardeners) we gave our home an autumn clean. The problem is as we both tend to be neat freaks, it didn’t really look any different.

Since then I must admit that I have sunk into lethargy although day to day housework is done, food is prepared, clothes are washed and ironed and supermarket deliveries are ordered and dealt with appropriately when then arrive.

However, all those grandiose plans that I had last March seem to have fallen by the wayside. I spend most of my time reading, speaking to friends and family on the telephone and FaceTime and watching old programmes on tv.

The only real hobby I have kept up with is a love of political research and statistics which started in the 1960s, though I do not have an affiliation to any party. I have kept a record of all the Covid national and local statistics since they were first published at the beginning of the pandemic. Then of course there is Gransnet!

Trisha57 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:03:41

I've been reading all your posts and it has reassured me that I'm not the only one who is finding it a bit difficult to motivate myself this time round. There are so many things that I think I should be doing, but find myself thinking, "Why bother, who will notice?" Today I'm determined that at least some of my day will be spent doing something constructive - sewing or baking. Anything to make me feel useful......sad

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-Nov-20 12:04:02

Yes, I’m in hibernation mode now. I’d already wound down to a slow steady crawl through the day, barely doing the household stuff and not getting round to any of the projects I thought I’d catch up with, given more time. We had such a busy life before “all this”. There were some positives though - more time for reading and catching up with the Scandi noirs we missed first time round, more baking and crafting. Having more one to one time with the family instead of our big get-togethers had its advantages. And I’d got into the good habits of an exercise session every morning in front of YouTube, and regular long walks.

Which led to me tripping over a tree root and breaking my arm, so now I’m restricted to slow walks round parks and regular naps for a few weeks. At least I’ll have something to work towards after that - losing the half a stone I’ve put on and getting my fitness back! And at least I’m not missing anything much in the meantime.....

GrandmasueUK Sat 14-Nov-20 12:04:44

I’m still not dressed. Yesterday, I thought I would make a start on my new Lino cutting kit. I took it out of the box and got my cutting mat out of the cupboard. That’s it. Spent a couple of hours waiting for Tesco delivery slot for Christmas and caught up with online news.

I don’t seem to have any energy left now. I’m gearing myself up to shower and dress. My arm is a bit swollen and sore from my flu jab, so I’m blaming my tiredness on that.

It’s even taken me half an hour to type this on my iPad! I’ve just remembered my mum giving me Metatone tonic for energy. My boyfriend at the time was a very mild mannered accountant and he went to the Chemist and asked for Methadone - a very different medication!

biba70 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:07:04

Au contraire- it has encouraged me to decorate, garden, and walk loads- and I spend as much time outside soaking up Vit D to help.

Kate54 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:11:41

Very lazy here, too. If it’s any consolation, the wearing of a dressing gown until pretty late in the day is known in my family as wearing Welsh national dress! I’m allowed to say that because I am Welsh - so no offence intented to fellow countrymen who wouldn’t be seen dead in their PJs at midday!

Jaxjacky Sat 14-Nov-20 12:19:14

Get up and go gone, first lockdown was so different, little traffic, fewer people, NHS clapping, then the freedom in summer. Now it’s just dull, boring and if I go out it seems like others are carrying on with the traffic and people. I do get dressed as soon as I get up, shower or bath at some point, ring family and friends, just a bit Groundhog Day.

sodapop Sat 14-Nov-20 12:27:40

Just discussing this with Mr Soda, I lack motivation at the moment and feel guilty I'm not doing more, Mr S doesn't see it as a problem, just sit down and read a book he said, why then do I feel guilty.

timetogo2016 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:32:43

12.30 and just out of the shower and too damn lazy to cut my toe nails,so lockdown has made me a right lazy git.

Smileless2012 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:37:21

It's been good to read everyone's posts and know I'm not alone in feeling this way too. I'm just so bored. Bored of cooking, walking the dogs and finding things to do because apart from the aforementioned there isn't anything.

My Mr. S. doesn't see it as a problem either sodapop but maybe that's got something to do with the fact that when ever he sits down to read, regardless of the time of day, he falls asleep!!

farview Sat 14-Nov-20 12:43:28

Definitely lazier...not my normal 'zest'....everything is just so different...usually work in the hospice shop (closed)...have four grandchildren here lots(not allowed)....meet friends (not allowed)...do try to keep smiling through...but the nearer we get to Christmas am finding it harder...should have been Christmas in Dubai with DD,sharing the 4yr old boxing day birthday, and the other little chap turning one in January...then from there to Oz to see DS and granddaughters there,Dubai again on way back...I am not constantly dwelling on it...just cant work up any enthusiasm for Christmas..will hopefully get to see all five of my UK grandchildren...even if an outdoor party has to be planned..so anyway..kick up the rear...start Christmas shopping, make an effort ....we are though entitled to lazy days ...always someone worse off isnt there...keep safe,keep warm and smile ?

Kalu Sat 14-Nov-20 12:45:02

It’s the groundhog effect that is causing my inertia. The feeling of existing as opposed to living with what were choices for the day ahead, is becoming more and more, I can’t be bothered. Not the person I was at all at the beginning of the year.

Juliet27 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:48:14

I mentioned earlier I was worried about apathy but then I read how so many of us feel the same and goodness knows why but I suddenly felt motivated to ‘spring’ clean my bedroom which had no end of stuff just dumped. I’ve probably done 10000 steps running up and down two flights of stairs several times throwing out rubbish and dealing with the washing and I now feel worn out but quite a bit happier.

Chewbacca Sat 14-Nov-20 12:48:42

That's exactly how I feel too Kalu; just "what's the point, no one will see it".

travelsafar Sat 14-Nov-20 12:50:45

I have just got back from walking into town and ropping off a book at the library, any excuse to go out even in the wet, windy weather. Also popped to Home Bargains while out and picked up a couple of bits i needed rather than going to the supermarket, then straight back home. It killed just over a hour. smile So glad it is just not me feeling the way i do.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:54:12

Phew,its good to read this thread and realise it's not just me! Things that need to be done such as housework are done. I tend to batch cook so I can always have a meal to hand, recently not that interested in meals,think I'm bored with my own cooking.
I always dress/shower.
I have a massive amount of projects I can do,particularly with Christmas coming up. That said even the most enjoyable projects find me working for about 5mins then distracted by tv/phone. I find the days go incredibly quickly.
Some days I feel quite content others sad. Yesterday I initially enjoyed listening to the number 2 records on a music channel. After an hour or so I started to feel sad and wistful.
I think this lockdown feels very different to the first,and the weather doesnt help.
Still,its often little things that cheer me. A call off a friend etc. I'm also wearing my favourite perfume every day. I decided I didnt know when on earth the next occasion to wear it would be so might as well enjoy!
At least we know we are not on our own?

Kalu Sat 14-Nov-20 12:56:44

How lucky you are, to have two yolks in your egg biba

Buffybee Sat 14-Nov-20 13:41:15

Thank goodness, I thought it was just me.
I do seem to be in my pajamas later and housework seems an effort and healthy eating has gone out the window.
I’ve also developed what I think is Plantar facilitis so I’m in pain walking the dog too far, which is a drag.
Anyway, to cheer myself up, I’m planning to put my tree and decorations up a bit earlier this year, on the 1st or maybe a bit earlier if I see anyone else’s going up. I love my window lights, which make the house so cozy on these darker evenings.
And of course, today there’s Strictly to look forward to.

Kalu Sat 14-Nov-20 13:41:23

It’s the loss of, I had better tidy up as I never know who will pop in.

We are only allowed garden visits, something which helped to keep me going in the summer. A couple of days ago DD1 and two GDs were popping in for a garden visit, which we had prepared for, as they approached our house, it suddenly started to rain, result, 10min. chat in our drive. Not much of a much needed mood lifter. Not many of the other restrictions bother me too much but knowing garden visits at this time of year will be a hit and a miss does little to lift my spirit.

I have always had a can do attitude but it’s the feeling of, I can’t do, which is difficult to deal with.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sat 14-Nov-20 13:51:35

I can’t believe how little I have got done since lockdown in the spring. My house should be sparkling and highly organised but it is as though time has stood still.
We should be in India this month, somewhere I have always wanted to visit, Texas for Christmas with my grandchildren and the Caribbean in February to visit family, none of us are getting any younger and I long to go home to hug them.
I suppose the lack of energy is linked to depression. Many of us have few years left and to be prevented from enjoying them by this pandemic is so unfair.

maddyone Sat 14-Nov-20 13:59:32

Kalu l feel just like you, utterly fed up and demotivated. Short, dark days. Missing family. Missing normality. We’re existing, not living, and waiting for the vaccine, with the hope that life will return to something more like normal. The ever cheerful SAGE has made it absolutely clear we are not to expect normality even after the vaccine. Happy little souls aren’t they?

maddyone Sat 14-Nov-20 14:01:57

Agree Onthenaughtystep1 I was having a lovely retirement until this, travelling, seeing family and friends, enjoying life after years of work. Now this!