Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you still got your AC school books and drawings etc

(76 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 16-Nov-20 20:03:43

I have boxes of my AC reports, drawings, certificates, etc etc, and grandchildren’s pics, Thankyou notes, Does anyone else keep things like this, I love to go looking through them, always brings a smile to my face

Nanna58 Mon 16-Nov-20 20:08:01

I recently showed my 5yr old DGS his mother’s Reception year work book. He looked carefully through it then said very sorrowfully “ She really could have tried harder , couldn’t she Nan”???

Coolgran65 Mon 16-Nov-20 20:12:36

I have a folder with every school report.

AC kept masses of sixth form stuff in boxes (in my house) until after about ten years when I was moving I gave an ultimatum. All of a sudden it was ok to bin it.

Jaxjacky Mon 16-Nov-20 20:23:00

I gave them everything when they left home, I do have their homemade Christmas decorations, on the tree every year and cards made by GC’s. In my purse is a four leaf clover from GD pasted on card and a lovely note from DD, both about five years old.

Chewbacca Mon 16-Nov-20 20:32:33

The clothes and shawl he was brought home from hospital in and the id bracelet he was given, the lock of hair from his first hair cut. School reports, drawings, school photographs, his woggle, neckerchief and jumpers with badges sewn on from Beavers and Cubs; that wonky little house that he made in his first pottery lesson, the little felt frog filled with beans that he made when he was 6. I have a loft stuffed full and the longer it's there, the harder it is to part with it.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 16-Nov-20 20:54:33

I only have a few items. A lot went missing during my move before last and my sons didn't want much kept in my recent move. I now have one box with things from my sons, my granddaughters and my school days. I also have a doll of mine and teddy of one son.

lemongrove Mon 16-Nov-20 21:11:49

Yes, boxes and boxes of them, the DGC enjoy not only seeing their own handiwork but those of their parents at similar ages.
Now and then I have a good trawl through them myself, there are some lovely things ‘to the best Mummy in the wirld’ which brings a tear or two for those happy times.We even have a few drawings and little poems that we ( Grandma and Grandad) made for our own Mothers.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Nov-20 21:14:58

I have their school books, certificates badges etc I still have a boxful if my own school books

tanith Mon 16-Nov-20 21:16:48

I have given them all to the relevant person to do with as they please. I need to downsize at some point and it’ll be less to deal with.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-Nov-20 21:21:50

I have WAY too much of this! I even have some schoolwork from my long deceased mother and father.
I found a little dish my mum had made in the 30s only last week.
I am determined not to leave so much (beautiful) junk to my children to weigh them down. I need a year on this though - probably full time!

joannapiano Mon 16-Nov-20 21:29:12

I still have an essay done by my daughter, then aged 9, all about the “famale thursh”, when she did a project about birds.
She is now a teacher! Hopefully she teaches her Year 2 about the female thrush.

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 21:49:20

I still have a report for my DS2 from his last year in senior school. He never went on to college.

He hanged himself at the age of 19. Several members of school staff came to his funeral, which I thought said a lot about him, and how well thought of he was, especially as the service was some distance away.

Evangeline Mon 16-Nov-20 21:55:03

Phoenixflowers

crazyH Mon 16-Nov-20 21:58:29

Awww Phoenix flowers

Witzend Mon 16-Nov-20 22:00:56

Oh Phoenix! ?

phoenix Mon 16-Nov-20 22:22:27

I was so touched that they came, especially when you think how long it was since he was a student there, he must have made quite an impression!

His friends created a Facebook "wall" which I loved looking at the things they posted, sadly it has disappeared or been deleted, I wish there was some way to get it back.

mancgirl Mon 16-Nov-20 22:46:05

Phoenix ?

Ailsa43 Mon 16-Nov-20 22:54:53

So sorry Phoenix flowers

Yes I have a big box full of school reports, sports medals, certificates, jotters, birthday cards, postcards when they were at camp..to my lovely best mummy, etc...

First tooth, baptism certificates and greetings cards

They don't want them, and I have no GC to show them too. I'm told to throw them out by my AC's , but I just can't bring myself to do it.

MissAdventure Mon 16-Nov-20 23:23:44

Yes, I have school reports, folders full of her work, and her leaving statement from the school.

silverlining48 Mon 16-Nov-20 23:35:56

Yes I have kept almost everything too, and starting to keep cards and notes from
The two grandchildren as well.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 16-Nov-20 23:52:41

School reports for all three children, first pairs of shoes, handmade cards and letters, christening gowns, photos taken on their birthdays every year until they were 18, and now little things from my granddaughter! In our loft is a trunk full of all OHs academic work from when he was a student at Oxford. It has been in the loft at all five houses we have lived. It just gets moved from loft to loft and he never opens it! I used to have all the letters my parents wrote to me when I lived abroad but they were thrown away by mistake.

Maggiemaybe Mon 16-Nov-20 23:56:20

I kept so much, reports, schoolwork, cards, poems, artwork, little notes, newspaper cuttings, awards, etc, etc, but spent hours and hours in lockdown pruning it down to just a big carrier bag full for each of the AC. They’re adamant they don’t want them, but those bags are tucked away here for them just in case they change their minds. smile I’m so glad I sorted through it though, as that isn’t a task anyone wants to be faced with when they have to clear their parents’ house.

twiglet77 Tue 17-Nov-20 00:35:07

Yes, I have. And in a jamjar on my kitchen window is the egg-box-and-card daffodil that my now 34 year old made at nursery school for Mother's Day, in 1990.

I have my siblings' school reports as well as my own, as when we cleared my late mother's house they would cheerfully have binned them.

When my AC are clearing my house I know that ALL the sentimental paperwork, drawings, cards, photos, school stuff, will be burned or thrown in a skip. I'll indulge myself with looking through it all, and enjoying (most of) the memories, for as long as I'm able.

Calendargirl Tue 17-Nov-20 07:49:47

I passed the AC ‘s stuff onto them, no idea if they kept it, but that’s up to them.

Still have my own and DH’s school reports etc., why, I don’t really know.

Was in the loft only yesterday, looking through my mother’s diaries, trying to locate a happening on a specific date. Her diaries were more of a record of events on the farm, not much personal stuff really.

I was chuffed to find the year of my birth one, (not all the years had been retained).

On my birth date, it simply said “Baby girl arrived, 1am”.
No mention of name, weight, how thrilled they were!

Lucca Tue 17-Nov-20 08:33:59

Phoenix there are really no words. So so sorry.