Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you still got your AC school books and drawings etc

(77 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 16-Nov-20 20:03:43

I have boxes of my AC reports, drawings, certificates, etc etc, and grandchildren’s pics, Thankyou notes, Does anyone else keep things like this, I love to go looking through them, always brings a smile to my face

jaylucy Tue 17-Nov-20 09:40:34

I have all of his reports and some of his picture like the first one he did at playgroup, first at school etc.
Haven't got any of his excercise books because I can't ever remember seeing them ! I think he has a bag full in his cupboard that he throws out now and then !
But living in the same house as my parents did, I have also found all the bits and pieces from myself and my siblings! Cards when we were born, letters my mum received from various relatives - some from aunts that only lived a mile or so away, but I suppose in pre phone days and when you stayed in hospital fro at least a week, postnatal, I expect that was the only means of communication as only dads were allowed to visit!
Trying to separate them all out and hand them over

alltheglitterglue Tue 17-Nov-20 09:43:04

I’m another one, I’ve a plastic A1 sized folder of everything they brought home.

I meant to frame some of it and I should give some of it to them. It’s one of those jobs I never do.

hicaz46 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:47:38

I have folders with drawings, reports, and any cards they have sent me, plus the same (except the reports) from my grandchildren. I really must sort them out as some are just little scraps of paper.

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:51:08

We not only have all our children and grandchildren’s stuff but my mother and father’s too. I think my son will throw out the lot when we are gone but I love to re read the old letters, reports etc, brings so much back.

Debs551964 Tue 17-Nov-20 09:56:48

Oh phoenix ?? ?. This post must have hit a nerve for you(unintentionally of course). Big hugs xxx

essjay Tue 17-Nov-20 09:57:04

unfortunately i lost all of my own school reports and most of my childrens work etc, when i divorced over 20 years ago. i do have a bunch of paper flowers my daughter made and a candle my youngest son made. i now keep all my grandchildrens drawings etc. my freezer is an array of wonderful "masterpieces"

moleswife Tue 17-Nov-20 09:57:28

Yes, I have lots from children and grandchildren! But times change - a highly regarded primary teacher friend of mine recently bemoaned the fact that the new headteacher had allowed children to take books home - she was so worried that, despite positive, developmental yet honest comments to work the parents/carers would be very critical of her and question grades and marks. Teachers are under such pressure from all directions.

Sheilasue Tue 17-Nov-20 09:57:37

I gave dd a box of her reports. My late sons I have boxed away and he made me a toffee hammer when he was at secondary school and aplastic shape, which I treasure and keep in my drawer.Have my gds certificates on the wall in our hall.
My dh framed them.

luluaugust Tue 17-Nov-20 09:58:47

I also have my mother and father's school reports, make interesting reading. Most of the paperwork like school reports have been passed to the relevant children, I have kept school photos of AC and GC and lots of drawings. I have one done by the youngest DGS on the mantlepiece about things that have happened in lockdown entitled Life!

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Nov-20 09:59:42

I have just cleared my loft (before I get too old to scramble round in there!). Lots of memories but had to put on my sensible head. It was a trip down memory lane. Children don’t want them and they will just be thrown out when I fall off my perch so saving them the job. I have kept just a few little things though, like the embroidered rainbow picture, now in my window as very appropriate.

Aepgirl Tue 17-Nov-20 10:02:49

I have my daughter’s school reports and all her baby teeth. I also have my dog’s baby teeth (except those that he probably swallowed!).

4allweknow Tue 17-Nov-20 10:04:18

Coolgran65 I was exactly the same. Masses of school and uni stuff for the 3 of them. Put them in the garage and asked them to rummage to see what they wanted to keep which was basically nothing. 10 years is the life of Uni stuff so no good for reference etc. All in the skip! I gave them their teddies, first shoes etc to keep if they wanted. Sadly DD died last year and SiL gave them back to me, they went in her coffin.

Lesley60 Tue 17-Nov-20 10:05:19

I have my AC drawings, homemade cards, some baby clothes and brownie uniforms They think I’m mad ?

Seefah Tue 17-Nov-20 10:25:58

I have a whole box of my daughters drawings, paintings, cards, etc. The one I love the best is her first ever drawing. I had 2 jobs, was single, and at college so time with her was precious. But I thought one day we ought to do some art. I got out the pencils and paper and drew a few things , she watched, picked up the pencil , drew a leaf shape, with a smaller one on top. I said nice leaves ! She looked at me as if I was silly and said ‘mummy fish baby fish’ and ran off leaving me laughing my head off. I felt guilty for years busy such a busy mum but now she has her PhD I’ve let it go. I seem to have taught her something by default. We all do our best !

Theoddbird Tue 17-Nov-20 10:34:53

When I moved to my nsrtownoat I bought three large boxes...one for each child. All their stuff went into them. It was then their choice what they did with them.

nipsmum Tue 17-Nov-20 10:48:52

My children are both in their 50 s and I've moved house too many times to keep things no one wants.

Kim19 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:12:01

Phoenix ? not much makes me speechless but...? Thanks for sharing that. To move back to topic (with difficulty) I must be the worst M ever. Never kept a single picture, or record of my C. Interestingly one used to paint massively in black. We used to wonder what that said about his happiness state. Apparently wrong. Just recently in kitchen SP was admiring a tray when I admitted I had no idea where I got it from. Most indignantly S2 (47) declared that he had made it at school. My defence was something positive in that I must have liked it if I kept it. Jeepers!

Chardy Tue 17-Nov-20 11:20:38

Phoenix and other mums who've lost their children, I hope you know they live on in the hearts of their school friends. When a group of them who haven't seen each other for a while, get together, they'll remember the one who couldn't be there.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:23:36

Guilty!! Even worse, I still have some of my school drawings and my DH has most of his school work books!! Yes, we do hoard a lot.

Moggycuddler Tue 17-Nov-20 11:25:41

Yes, some. School reports, drawings etc. My favourite is a little story book that my daughter (now 35) made and drew when she was about 10, I think. It was a funny present for me on Mother's Day. Little cartoon drawings with captions, about "Johnny" who tried to cook his mum a special Mother's Day meal and ended up making a terrible mess, ruined all the pans, spoiled all the food and even set the kitchen on fire. It's actually hilarious! And the drawings and comments are brilliant!

Grammarian Tue 17-Nov-20 11:29:50

Phoenix what a jolt you gave to the thread to make us realise how previous these things and memories are. My heart goes out to you

Grammarian Tue 17-Nov-20 11:30:35

Precious things

FlotheCrow Tue 17-Nov-20 11:35:03

I hae my grandfather's old sea chest, which he used on a voyage to Australia and back, supposedly for his health. Sadly he died before I was born. In the chest are all mine and my kids' school reports, certificates, clay models they made, all birthday and Mothering Sunday cards, and every diary of mine since 1956! Oe year, while going out with a steady boy friend, I wrote the diary in old German script, so my mother couldn't read it!

Juicylucy Tue 17-Nov-20 11:39:43

Yes I’ve handed all mine to my dds and they’ve put them away for my granddaughters to keep.

Ascot12 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:48:38

Yes I kept all their school books and photos and gave them to each on their 30th Birthday I thought they were their memories so they can do what they want with them.
I still have their first shoes I'll never let them go.