Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you buy your grandchild a pooping flamingo?

(144 Posts)
Ealdemodor Wed 18-Nov-20 08:40:33

I couldn’t believe it when I first saw this toy advertised. It is a flamingo, which you “feed” with some gooey stuff, then sit it on a loo and watch it poop!
No doubt kids will love it, and there will be loads of them opened on Christmas Day.
I just wonder who designed it. Imaging pitching it at a meeting!

Grannybags Wed 18-Nov-20 09:49:31

No I wouldn't buy it but I know my 8 and 4 year old granddaughters would love it!

Personally I don't like any toy which involves bodily functions

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 09:52:02

Yes, I would, if that's what they wanted.
A poop isn't the worst thing in the world.
(Especially a pretend one)

ayokunmi1 Wed 18-Nov-20 09:52:39

It's not about what I like or dont like.
Its what would give some joy and fun.
At the end of the day you should buy and gift what you wish.
I prefer to be gifted what I need at the time.
So many expensive presents given that are just sitting there .
If my grandchild asked for that, I would if I had the money to spare.
Just like the farty cushions that gave me so much joy when I was younger.

Mollygo Wed 18-Nov-20 09:53:24

No-but there have already been pooping reindeer and dogs. I remember trying to decipher what a child was saying when he told me he had got a ‘Fearsherfush’for Christmas. No Google back then and I thought he had a speech problem. It was evidently a Fearsome Flush toilet toy!

Plunger Wed 18-Nov-20 09:54:44

Witzend - do you look after my DGC? Exactly the sort of comments I get.
Lemongrove - no one has said they approve of such language, I certainly don't. I have tried telling them it's not nice, I've tried ignoring all to no avail etc. How would you deal with it? Any suggestions welcome.

Amira15 Wed 18-Nov-20 09:55:07

No I wouldn’t. I saw this advertised by a little girl whilst watching children’s programme with my grandson. It was a long advert obviously to appeal to children watching. The pooping flamingo didn’t bother me but the way the child had been coached to present how the toy worked made for uncomfortable viewing. It reminded me of those pageants where small children ( usually girls) dress up to compete for medals and crowns.

ADBJF Wed 18-Nov-20 09:57:49

If you can do catch on TV there was a christmas gift guide for toys on ITV last night(phill from GMTV)
Children were playing and reviewing toys. This was one if them ,testing in scholl with teachers watching in unobserved, 5hus may help you decide.
Generally though kids LOVE anything poop related!

Damdee Wed 18-Nov-20 09:59:56

I decide on toys for my GC and other children I buy for by their play value. I haven't seen the pooping flamingo, but seen lots of pooping toys. The Barbie that someone mentioned with the poop and scoop came with the Tanner pooping dog, and lots of little accessories, and was very good fun, and good value. Also taught cleaning up after your dog!

My girls had Tiny Tears drink and wet dolls - I can't see the harm in toys that have 'bodily functions'. We all pee and poo. Kids grow out of all this being funny.

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 10:00:34

A poop isn't the worst thing in the world.

In fact, without one, where would we be?

HannahLoisLuke Wed 18-Nov-20 10:03:28

Plastic trash in my opinion. However, it might be a good gift for those children who've regressed to wearing nappies during lockdown, show them how to use the toilet again.
Sorry, that report made my blood boil.

icanhandthemback Wed 18-Nov-20 10:03:45

It's not a toy I'd buy because it will probably break very quickly and my initial reaction is to condemn it and then I started to think of the more positive side of it. Apart from children having a giggle, maybe we shouldn't be quite so anal about poo related matters because people would be more inclined to talk to professionals when they need to when things aren't quite right. All the negative stuff we teach our kids about their bodily functions make them subconsciously embarrassed about them and talking to a Dr is fraught with difficulty. dMaybe food for thought.

LauraNorder Wed 18-Nov-20 10:04:16

No

jenni123 Wed 18-Nov-20 10:04:29

For my great GS birthday this year (he was 7) one of the gifts I gave him was a book called 'Things to do while you poo' he loved it, it contained all sorts of puzzles inside

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 10:05:05

Indeed. smile
We would be not well without one.

jenpax Wed 18-Nov-20 10:05:16

I see no harm in and it there are worse things to worry about?
On a light note my eldest grandson is annoyed that there is a game called gooey Louie (his name) involving pulling slime from the models nose ? he’s been teased about this at school

Clevedon Wed 18-Nov-20 10:10:11

A definite NO. Or those plastic poo

Ellianne Wed 18-Nov-20 10:10:17

Our GC had the pooping dachshund as a present. Its appeal was rather short lived but they thought it was funny. They have grown up with puppies and cats so know all about pools and wees..
I was a primary school Headmistress and can vouch for the fact that the conversation of little ones is rather scatalogical. It's not that offensive and when we took them to a zoo or animal park they had a field day!

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 10:16:36

No, I wouldn’t. Probably amusing to 30-something ‘lads’.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Nov-20 10:25:14

They have had pooing reindeer (poo’d chocolate drops), if it was on one of their wish lists and with parents approval I would buy it.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 10:27:47

We usually have a whoopie cushion somewhere amongst the presents.
I still rather enjoy toilet humour [infantile emoji]

EllanVannin Wed 18-Nov-20 10:29:36

Never heard of this one, but I doubt it would end up in a stocking.

What I do miss is the WHSmith shop we used to have in the area and choosing a funny Christmas card for brother, which was invariably about poo. I used to laugh so much at some of the cards it attracted an audience grin
One year I sent one to his office at work and I believe everyone was creased with laughter. It made their day.

Parky Wed 18-Nov-20 10:33:23

I think Davida1968 is referring to the chicken which laid eggs not poo! I had one.

And no to pooping flamingos,!

GreyKnitter Wed 18-Nov-20 10:44:58

I’d def say yes, although I won’t be buying it as I’ve already done my Christmas shopping for the grandchildren as it’s need to be posted. I think all of them would love it - the boys especially seem to love anything remotely disgusting! I’ve bought one of them a book about disgusting facts - snot etc. I know he’ll love it but ask me if he’s allowed to tell me what he’s learned as it’s a bit rude!

Newatthis Wed 18-Nov-20 10:46:43

We all have to poop - even flamingo's. I think most kids would love it. Not sure I would buy it though.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Nov-20 10:53:28

My 5 year old GS would just LOVE this!!! He is at the poo-is-funny stage. It will pass.......as they say. grin