Gransnet forums

Chat

Obeying the rules.

(39 Posts)
Doodledog Wed 18-Nov-20 11:57:26

This is not a thread about a thread, but is inspired by a comment on another one about not watching daytime TV because of something the poster's mother used to say.

I was chatting to a friend the other day, and she made a similar (but different) comment about what she called 'self-imposed life rules', and the thread on here reminded me. Obviously we all have standards about all sorts of things that we just automatically do or don't do, but I wonder how many people impose 'rules' on themselves when they don't need to?

My mum sets an alarm so she doesn't 'oversleep' past 7.00 am. She is 90, lives alone and as far as I can see there is no reason why she needs to be up at 7.00 if she is still asleep. I'm not criticising, however - it is entirely her choice - but I find it interesting.

The friend I mentioned will 'allow' herself to watch TV before 7.00pm, but only if it is News, Parliament Channel or a similarly informative programme. Entertainment has to happen after 7.00 pm, which seems to me arbitrary, particularly in a lockdown when our routines are disrupted anyway.

Do you have rules? I'm not just meaning for TV watching, but anything. Food, clothing, whatever. Do you do things just because your mother did, or do you reason that the world has changed and rules should change with it?

maydonoz Thu 19-Nov-20 17:51:25

Yes I realise too life is full of rules although now being retired are self-imposed so feel more like routines than rules.
I'm usually in bed by 10pm, awake at 6am, having tea in bed watching the news(this is the golden rule) then up and dressed about 8 am.
I have three meals a day, breakfast at 9ish, lunch at 1pm and dinner at 6pm, the main meal usually in the evening except Sunday.
I don't have snacks between meals.
Punctuality is very important (left over from work days) so am always on time or even early!
I always change into comfy indoor pants when home.
Like other posters have said, I dislike eating or drinking coffee etc when outside unless in a restaurant.
During g the day I like to listen to the radio and watch tv in the pm after 6, it feels a waste of time unless it's a special program.
I don't want to carry on as the list seems to be getting longer, but I'm sure there are plenty more if I think about it!

EllanVannin Thu 19-Nov-20 13:35:43

I've always been " self-disciplined " about certain things and have adhered to a few.
I found it difficult in adjusting after I retired years ago about getting up early and short of buying an alarm clock to keep the momentum going I learned over the years that there was no longer any rush to move myself.

However, I won't lie-in, ever, as once awake I'm up. So that mode remains with me.
I won't eat beyond 6pm then there's nothing to disturb a good sleep being as it takes 3 hours or so in which food is digested.

Then because of medication ( warfarin ) I won't drink alcohol, not that I was a big drinker but enjoyed wine with dinners and a snifter of Famous Grouse with a drop of ginger.

Cleanliness of my person comes before getting the hoover out etc. I have a horror of being smelly. My place isn't dirty, just untidy at times.

Not into many sweet things and prefer to sit with a bag of mixed nuts and an apple. Unlike when I was working and would eat a choc. eclair a foot long after thick prawn sandwiches on lunch break----and never put a pound on !

Remain independent---which fortunately I have and not to rely on others. Blame my mum for that as she used to say, " if you want something doing, do it yourself ". Within reason I might add.

Normally up and out, this virus has been frustrating to me more than anything else as I haven't bothered with outdoor pursuits---walking along the prom to keep the joints supple. Instead I've done more sitting than has been good for me and can feel it when I visit the local shops.

What I haven't mastered is stopping smoking. I tell myself it's a coping mechanism and can also think and work things out better. I imagine that habit will fizzle out before long anyway as I don't smoke many. I also excuse myself by family problems weighing me down.

To me it's better than hurtling to the GP for tablets which could have adverse effects on what I already take, plus the fact that I also like to be in control of myself and not zonked out by some chemical cosh. I'm very much on the ball and a bit like a monkey on a stick at times, never really relaxed, but this is me, always prepared for the unexpected grin

TerriBull Thu 19-Nov-20 12:43:42

I don't eat red meat on Fridays, usually it's fish, a hangover from my catholic childhood.

I don't like eating in my dressing gown, but it's ok to drink coffeegrin

Always remember to take something upstairs when I go, we live in a 3 storey house, and similarly remember to bring anything that may be required down.

Have more nights in the week free of alcohol than the other way round.

Tidy house, put things away, make beds, hate dirty dishes, cups and general debris lying around! Although if my grandchildren have been over all day, sometimes I don't tidy any of the stuff they pull out until the following day.

GagaJo Thu 19-Nov-20 12:29:22

My only slight rule is that I try to remember, when I walk into a room, to improve 5 things in it. For me, it's usually picking up clutter.

It does tend to keep the place tidyish tho. Doesn't work when I'm at home in the UK. Between DD & DGS, it'd need 20 improvements everyone.

Anniebach Thu 19-Nov-20 12:23:03

I don’t think of rules, just do as was always done, never do washing , ironing , vacuuming on a Sunday , never eat breakfast in a dressing gown, nightclothes are for the bed
not the sofa. Wouldn’t play card or dice games on a Sunday.

rockgran Thu 19-Nov-20 12:03:03

I think it is just a question of not letting too many standards slip as we grow older. "That way madness lies! "

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 19-Nov-20 11:28:28

My DH wants his evening meal at 5.30, just as his mum did, doesn't like mugs or glasses being put away straight away from the dish washer - they have to dry off. He also determines that we have two night free from alcohol - as his mother did!! Often wonder who I married!!!

Urmstongran Thu 19-Nov-20 11:24:32

I’m obviously a free spirit.
No. Rules. At. All.
?

GillT57 Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:32

Reading this has made me realise my other 'rules'. No pyjamas at the breakfast table, always dressed. Never eat off laps, always at a table, it is just the kitchen table, not stiff linen and best silver, but I find it uncomfortable and indigestible to eat off my lap. The only exception is when we indulge in cheese and biscuits with a glass of wine on a Sunday evening perhaps. Bed always made before I leave the house. But, no specific day for housework, all done on an as need basis. Oh, and no alarm, just wake up when I have had sufficient sleep.

BlueSky Thu 19-Nov-20 11:06:59

Oh no BlueSapphire how can you possibly wash and dress before that first cup of tea/coffee?? I can’t function until I’ve had two coffees in my dressing gown, while checking social media! shock

BlueSapphire Thu 19-Nov-20 10:21:11

Never used to watch tv before 5pm-ish, but have become more relaxed about that now.
Pre-dinner sherry at 6pm, glass of wine with dinner. May have a drink after dinner at weekends.
No housework after lunch, afternoons are for relaxing. No housework at weekends.
Groom cats and give them a treat at bedtime. They come and sit in front of me at 10.30 every evening and tell me what time it is!
New self-imposed rule - have shower and get dressed before my morning cup of tea, otherwise I would be in my dressing-gown and unwashed all day and have done nothing, except be on here!

jaylucy Thu 19-Nov-20 10:18:39

I can remember as a child that we were never allowed to watch programmes on ITV for some reason (never found out why ) apart from Stars on Sunday !
That was until my mum went back to work part time and all her colleagues watched Coronation Street and Emmerdale!
I must admit that most of the "rules" my mum set down (always making sure you have a clean hanky, never wearing brown shoes or having a brown handbag if you are wearing anything black and never eating dinner on your lap, always at the table and always having a roast dinner on a Sunday) have pretty much been broken within a few weeks of her dying!
Apart from that I found over time that trying to stick to many self imposed rules meant that I just ended up more stressed than I needed to be!

Franbern Thu 19-Nov-20 10:09:08

For the first few years after I retired I could not watch tele in the evening unless I was also knitting something at the same time. Just sitting watching made me feel as I was lazy.
Must say that has gone these days, as less knitting required for family, and problems with hands make it more difficult.

One of the great joys of retirement (mine was just before my 70th birthday), was NOT having to use the alarm clock. Found my normal body clock wakes me between 7.30 -8.00 each morning.

One rule, that I inherited from my Dad is NEVER to go to bed with that evenings dirty crockery still in kitchen.

Apart from that do not think I have many rules. Few years back one of my g.children found that I had put in my diary the day I was planning each week to do my washing. This story still causes much hilarity in the family. But I do like, as far as possible, to stick to one day each week for that chore.

pollyperkins Wed 18-Nov-20 22:40:17

Like one or two others we never put the tv on until 6.00 (for the news) - it just seems decadent & time wasting otherwise (though I’m happy to waste time reading which seems more ‘worthy’)!! However I also waste time on my phone watsapping the children & also on facebook & gransnet.
All meals are eaten at the table and we never skip a meal though try not to overeat.
Don’t drink until the evening & limit myself to one glass of wine per night except at weekends. Chocolate only st weekends. Those two more to do with keeping weight down than anything else (my parents never drank!)
I never eat in the street (except icecream.) or comb my hair, put on lipstick Etc in public ( common my other would have said.)
Never spend the day or even the evening in nightwear though I’m often a bit late getting dressed (have breakfast in my dressing gown then read the paper & check emails).
Happy to sleep in in the mornings though and slow starting the day.
Heavens. Didn’t think I had so many rules.
Slovenly about cleaning I’m afraid but always clear away & wash up (not always very promptly- I like to sit with a cup of coffee first. )

NfkDumpling Wed 18-Nov-20 20:43:47

No rules in particular although, like PamelaJ1 I don't like eating in the street. I love food and prefer to sit quietly and savour it.

My only real rule is to achieve something each day. It doesn't need to be anything spectacular. All the ironing done or a cake baked. Something positive.

BlueSky Wed 18-Nov-20 20:36:16

Shoes off at the door. I would like all visitors to do this but realise it’s not always feasible. I do suffer when somebody walks in with shoes on.
Change into comfy old clothes straight away.
Up to bed at 12.30, out of bed at 7.30, two Nespresso coffee before doing anything else while checking news and social media. Don’t talk to me until then!

Harris27 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:23:16

This is so funny my mil used to do the same about setting the clock she was 95 when she died never had a job past 30 and had similiar rituals. Breakfast at 8am cup a soup 9.30 lunch at 12 tea at 4 and another cuppa at 8 and paracetamol every four hours. 8 12 4 8pm crazy! Me I’m normal but I treat myself to a wine after 7 pm! ??

PamelaJ1 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:10:30

Eating in the street. I just can’t do it unless it’s ice cream or fish and chips in a seaside setting.

Atqui Wed 18-Nov-20 20:02:22

Oh dear ! The only rule I have is to floss my teeth every night.

Pantglas2 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:46:23

Gosh this one’s interesting, Doodledog!

Food - Have to clear up after myself as I cook. No pudding unless main meal is eaten. No throwing food away. No turning produce away. Kitchen floor mopped each evening (it’s tiny)

Clothes - wardrobe clear out each spring and autumn with anything unworn that year in the charity bag. Clean all boots in spring ready for autumn. Buy nothing dry cleaning.

Alcohol - no drink driving, alone or every night.

I think that’s enough self imposed restrictions at my age?

52bright Wed 18-Nov-20 19:44:05

Didn't think I had rules since I retired until this thread gave me food for thought.

I am a night owl, husband is an early bird. Under no circumstances wake me up before 8.00.

Day time tv is off limits unless someone is ill. Don't know why ...just seems decadent and time wasting which is hilarious really as I 'waste' time all day long, reading, going on gransnet ext ext. I think the day time tv thing is a throw back to my childhood.

Hetty58 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:39:29

I have a strict 'rule' to defy all rules and routines and just do my own thing. I deliberately change and mix things up. I'm retired now - so it's playtime for me!

sodapop Wed 18-Nov-20 19:27:27

Prefer to get all my chores done before going out
No coffee or breakfast until the dogs have been walked
No reading until work is done ( made to be broken )
Limit GN time to a reasonable level

I like to have some structure to my day, wish I could be a bit more relaxed,

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:21:56

No, no rules?. I would feel uncomfortable with that, it would feel weird to me.

But I get up when I wake, and as I’m a lark, that is usually early but I do tend to rise with the sun. So very early in the summer and at the moment I’m stirring by 6.30.

I do have a routine - well for one day a week, which is Monday - housework. Get that out if the way and I’m a free spirit to do with the day and week as I please.

Some days I am very productive, perhaps, craft or art or gardening or cooking or whatever, other days I might spend the days chatting to family or friends or even just reading. Sometimes (not often) I might watch television in the afternoon if there is something I have recorded that I fancy watching it. I can’t understand the rule about only doing an activity at a certain time. Not sure of the point.

So I absolutely have no rules but my aim is to enjoy every day and be grateful to be able to do so

Jaxjacky Wed 18-Nov-20 19:11:25

Initially thought I/we didn’t have any, but we do!
Dinner dishes cleared/washed up soon after eating
Get dressed as soon as we get up, get undressed at bedtime (may change into joggers after shower or bath, don’t own nightwear)
Drinks after 5, water with dinner
No rules on TV watching
I try and ring at least one person every other day, especially those on their own
Housework when I notice it, apart from toilets, every day.
Rarely wash cars, clean windows or wash out bins, lazy cow really!!