Gransnet forums

Chat

Karma?

(110 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 12:49:23

Do you believe that "what goes around, comes around"?

Is it just the consequences of our actions that catch up with us, naturally, or is there a more organised system of ensuring people reap what they sow?

Or, is it a load of twaddle?

Luckygirl Wed 18-Nov-20 12:51:09

Unfortunately for many evil people the consequences of their actions never come back to bite them.

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 12:55:03

I believe that the best revenge is to live well, and watch your tormentors trip themselves up smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Nov-20 12:58:27

One of our DILs is a firm believer in Karma and I think I am slowly coming round to the idea also.

BlueBelle Wed 18-Nov-20 13:01:34

Not really too many people get away for years and years with bad actions, so no it’s a nice thought, but it just that, a nice thought

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 13:03:23

As a natural consequence, grannygravy, or by the hand of some unseen force of nature?
Some sort of spiritual judge? (I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested)

Namsnanny Wed 18-Nov-20 13:15:16

Bad things happen to good people, and the reverse I suppose.

Who decrees what is a bad action and what is a good one?

Actually we have so little control over most of our lives and decisions. Although it's not something we like to acknowledge.

3/4 of the trajectory of our lives is set in motion before we even exist, where we are born, our gender, our parents, etc.

Who would choose to be born into a war torn or poverty stricken 3rd world country?

If we or an omnipotent being (such as Karma?) can't give us what we need to flourish in life, why should it pay back for the wrongs we do?

Ignore me I'm waffling smile

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 13:17:51

It's really interesting waffling.
Now then, could being born in such dire circumstances be karmic retribution for bad deeds in a former life?

TrendyNannie6 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:18:52

I’d like to think that karma exists, but I’m not sure that it does

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:20:04

Not sure to be honest MissAdventure but we do know of several people who have let’s say been less than nice on their way up, only for them to be surprised when folks were not falling over themselves to help them out when they fell on harder times.

I just try to treat others as I would like others to treat me, yes I know it could be called twee , but as I have got older it does make more sense, along with if you cannot say anything nice, don’t say anything at all .

I would be mortified if by my actions or words unknowingly hurt someone.

Pantglas2 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:50:31

Not sure whether I’m into the karma belief either - I’ve seen too many bad deeds be rewarded and good turns go punished.

I do remember however, the then England manager Glenn Hoddle, get into trouble for suggesting that handicaps were punishment for previous lives misdeeds.

Jane10 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:53:34

I would really like Karma to be real.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 13:57:07

Me too.
I think a lot of people could sleep more soundly knowing that karmic debts would be paid.

Missfoodlove Wed 18-Nov-20 14:02:46

I worked with an absolute witch years ago, she was very nasty and made my working life most unpleasant.
She bragged about everything and was very materialistic.
It was all about cars, handbags, holidays etc.

Fast forward 15 years and were visiting our great friends for the weekend, we arrived early on a Friday afternoon as we were being shown to our accommodation, a guest cottage in the grounds of the house...... madam came out with a bucket and cloth!

She scurried away fast!!

SueDonim Wed 18-Nov-20 14:05:28

I wish it were true. Karma never catches up with some people.

Daddima Wed 18-Nov-20 14:09:18

Jane10

I would too. I love this -
‘ The mills of God grind slowly
But they grind exceeding small.
Though with patience He stands waiting,
With exactness grinds He all.’

I know it does sound really vengeful, and suppose I shouldn’t take pleasure in the idea of someone getting their comeuppance!

Chewbacca Wed 18-Nov-20 14:16:20

I'd like to think that karma would catch up, but the longer I live, the less optimistic I am unfortunately. On the rare occassion that I've seen devine retribution occurr, it's been very satisfying.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Nov-20 14:39:31

Oh I think it does appear. It might take time but eventually it strikes when least expected and that's the beauty of it grin

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 15:30:51

If it’s true that ‘handicaps’ (horrid word) are payback for misdeeds in a previous life I was obviously super evil grin

Galaxy Wed 18-Nov-20 15:35:38

I hate the idea of karma, its nonsense of course but it implies that those who have had terrible things happen to them somehow deserve it.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 15:37:34

EllanVannin Do you think the natural consequences of our actions come into play, or is it some balancing "force" that sets karma in motion?

suziewoozie Wed 18-Nov-20 15:53:10

Jane10

This, me too - and it’s not 😥😥😥

Woodmouse Wed 18-Nov-20 16:04:51

Yes, I do believe in Karma. You reap what you sow. Whilst it seems that some people escape punishment for their actions, I sincerely believe that eventually they will pay the price.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 16:09:19

Thank you, woodmouse.
Do you think that implies some higher power at work? God? The force of nature, or of science?

petra Wed 18-Nov-20 16:21:02

I've put this up for posters who might want to know more about Karma. It's an easy read 😄
www.mindbodygreen.com/0-20223/5-ways-karma-from-your-past-lives-affects-you-today.html