Gransnet forums

Chat

Karma?

(111 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 12:49:23

Do you believe that "what goes around, comes around"?

Is it just the consequences of our actions that catch up with us, naturally, or is there a more organised system of ensuring people reap what they sow?

Or, is it a load of twaddle?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 19-Nov-20 14:39:02

I was in a remote part of SE Asia when we came upon an accident, a 5 year old had been knocked down. We went over and I was able to check the child over, she had broken arm and some other injuries. We offered to take her and her mother to the hospital some many miles away. To cut a long story short we paid the medical bill by giving the mother the money needed. She was embarrassed to be taking charity but it was explained to her that my GD had been involved in an accident and we had received free medical treatment. We were now paying our thanks for that. The woman smiled and just said Karma and gave me a hug.
Yes I believe to lead the best life possible and the future will be your reward.

Lizbethann55 Thu 19-Nov-20 14:16:00

I would really love to as karma to me just seems like life being " fair and just". Sadly though, I am struggling with it. My DD1 , who is truly one of life's beautiful people, both to look at and, far more importantly, inside. (Not only would she give you her last Rolo, but she would give you the whole packet!). Yet her life over the last few years has been just one sadness after another. Particularly this year. Every new year we say "this year must be your year", but it never has been. Maybe next year!!

Mamma66 Thu 19-Nov-20 14:15:53

I am not sure I would necessarily refer to it as Karma, but I do think, ‘what goes around, comes around’. I also think we don’t necessarily focus on the right things. I am not so sure I believe in divine retribution, and I don’t expect wrongdoers to meet a sticky end, but I definitely try to adhere to being the friend I would like others to be to me.

My parents were the most wonderful people, an absolute shining example to all who knew them. Poor Mum had a dreadful death, but if you measure her legacy and the extent to which she was loved and respected, she was rich indeed.

Personally I would like to be motivated by doing the right thing because it is precisely that, but I do rather hope that this who are less motivated get their just reward...

Hereiam Thu 19-Nov-20 14:06:30

I definitely believe in Karma. When I was young and dating, I was very particular about who I went out with. My perfect boyfriend would be not too tall, long dark hair, nice feet. Who did I fall in love with? My husband is 6ft 4,bald headed and he has the most ugliest feet I have ever seen!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 19-Nov-20 14:00:05

There are some very interesting comments on here but I can't make my mind up. When I look at some of the things which have happened to me over the last few years, pneumonia, cancer and a nasty fall down the stairs I often explain it by saying that "it's been a bad decade" but it does make me wonder - have I really done anything to to deserve it? Was I really so bad? I hope that it was just one of those things (or three) but who can say?

marpau Thu 19-Nov-20 13:55:15

My favourite saying is every dog has its day I even have it embroidered on a cushion. Don't know how much truth there is in it however believing the day will come stops me feeling bitter and resentful.

Elegran Thu 19-Nov-20 13:44:34

We had a suitcase that we kept the dressing-up clothes in, not fancy bought costumes but old dresses, tatty high heels, a moth-eaten fur wrap - that kind of thing. It was all due to be thrown out.
The day before the bin men came, I went to a lane sale - "useful" furniture, bedding etc from house clearances, displayed and sold in the lane behing Lyon and Turnbull's saleroom. I poked around the stuff, but bought nothing. Then, on the way home, I became aware of various itches and realised that I had picked up a lodger or two from something. At home, I stripped off in the bathroom, and found several fleas. I showered and put on clean clothes. What I had been wearing was all fairly old, and probably contained more livestock, so I added everything to the suitcase of dressing-up clothes and put it outside with the bins. Just after I went in, I noticed a bloke on a bicycle. He slowed at my house, looked up and down the street, then picked up the case and pedalled off fast with it on his handlebars. I think he would soon be itching to give it back!

timetogo2016 Thu 19-Nov-20 13:09:45

I think Karma is real and it does happen to bad people,but they keep their mouths shut.
A daft example was a few years ago i was walking my dog and had a poo bag in my hand,and some vile youth on a bike pulled it out of my hand.
I would have loved to have seen his face when he opened it.

Tempest Thu 19-Nov-20 13:02:40

No sorry I don't believe it. Too many bad people getting away with bad actions. Too many good people with good deeds and good intentions being used and exploited by evil.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 19-Nov-20 12:53:54

No, I don't believe in karma, as it is not part of my religion.

I do, however, believe that I will be called to account for the way I have lived my life before the throne of God, so I try not to do spiteful, wrong or unkind things.

Any belief that prevents people from giving full range to their natural selfish or greedy inclinations is a good idea in my book.

rosecarmel Thu 19-Nov-20 12:51:17

Karma isn't intended to be "believed"- If it were, what is it that's being "believed" in?

It has nothing to do with what anyone "deserves", but seeing what's actually occurring at the moment and meeting that moment with compassionate action-

By definition, in ancient texts, it means action- But it's picked up baggage through the ages, especially after arriving in regions where "an eye for an eye" was believed and as a result lost it's original meaning in translation-

BusterTank Thu 19-Nov-20 12:44:21

Yes I believe in karma and truly believe what's goes around comes around . Everything goes full circle in life .

Janburry Thu 19-Nov-20 12:37:29

Probably not but it doesn't stop me from believing in karma, especially as there's an ex out there who l really need it to be true for ?

Cambia Thu 19-Nov-20 11:39:38

Karma never loses your address!
I do believe in it but sometimes it seems a bit slow coming. It is a nice thing to live by thoughts very much the same as do as you would be done by.

Milest0ne Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:50

My grandmother lived by the belief that it you give it away it comes back to you 3 times, even just a helping hand. On from that, she said "pass it on" Just a smile works wonders

petra Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:39

Many years ago we worked with a lovely man who was going through a hard time financially. And then to crown it all, his car died.
We had a spare car that we didn't need. We said to him: take it until your ok. When he got back on his feet he said to us: Here are 3 premium bonds, I hope they are lucky for you.
They were. One came up with a sizeable win on it.
We have been let down, though with people we have lent money to.

Buffy Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:35

My sister always maintains ‘what goes around comes around’ and I think that’s the only way to get happily through life.

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 11:17:56

Bazza sometimes our actions result in something nice, I would call that £15 a piece of good luck.

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 11:15:32

Elegran yes agree the spread is a consequence of our apparent need to travel around the globe just as climate change is a result or consequence of the need to travel or to use plastic or some people feeling they have to buy a plastic elf or pooping flamingo because it’s a thing

Elegran Thu 19-Nov-20 11:02:12

LauraNorder The rapid spread of the corona virus is largely due to the speed of travel and the way people whizz around the globe just for a week or two on an exotic beach. Perhaps it is also Karma for not considering the impact of mass tourism?

Athenia Thu 19-Nov-20 11:02:09

What a wonderful example, Bazza!

Bazza Thu 19-Nov-20 10:53:01

A very tiny example of karma. I was walking through our local car park, and saw a pile of rubbish on the ground that some vile person had just cleared out of their car, very close to a bin too. I picked it all up, hoping to find some identification, there was none, but there was a plain white envelope with £15 inside.

Theoddbird Thu 19-Nov-20 10:52:24

Absolutely believe in it. Karma goes with us in our many lives as well as the life we are living in at present. Instant Karma can happen as well.

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Nov-20 10:49:27

Woodmouse

Yes, I do believe in Karma. You reap what you sow. Whilst it seems that some people escape punishment for their actions, I sincerely believe that eventually they will pay the price.

Yes... and if not in this life, then in the next.

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 10:29:46

I don’t believe in karma as a reward or punishment, either individually or collectively.
I do believe in consequences both individually and collectively. Everything we do has consequences.
Yes the corona virus is a result of farming animals poorly and cruelly for our food.
My COPD is a result of me choosing to smoke in my earlier years.
However someone’s broken leg is a result of slipping on a banana skin discarded by another, the banana having been grown and imported by others and so on.