Gransnet forums

Chat

Karma?

(110 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:20:04

Not sure to be honest MissAdventure but we do know of several people who have let’s say been less than nice on their way up, only for them to be surprised when folks were not falling over themselves to help them out when they fell on harder times.

I just try to treat others as I would like others to treat me, yes I know it could be called twee , but as I have got older it does make more sense, along with if you cannot say anything nice, don’t say anything at all .

I would be mortified if by my actions or words unknowingly hurt someone.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:18:52

I’d like to think that karma exists, but I’m not sure that it does

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 13:17:51

It's really interesting waffling.
Now then, could being born in such dire circumstances be karmic retribution for bad deeds in a former life?

Namsnanny Wed 18-Nov-20 13:15:16

Bad things happen to good people, and the reverse I suppose.

Who decrees what is a bad action and what is a good one?

Actually we have so little control over most of our lives and decisions. Although it's not something we like to acknowledge.

3/4 of the trajectory of our lives is set in motion before we even exist, where we are born, our gender, our parents, etc.

Who would choose to be born into a war torn or poverty stricken 3rd world country?

If we or an omnipotent being (such as Karma?) can't give us what we need to flourish in life, why should it pay back for the wrongs we do?

Ignore me I'm waffling smile

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 13:03:23

As a natural consequence, grannygravy, or by the hand of some unseen force of nature?
Some sort of spiritual judge? (I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested)

BlueBelle Wed 18-Nov-20 13:01:34

Not really too many people get away for years and years with bad actions, so no it’s a nice thought, but it just that, a nice thought

GrannyGravy13 Wed 18-Nov-20 12:58:27

One of our DILs is a firm believer in Karma and I think I am slowly coming round to the idea also.

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 12:55:03

I believe that the best revenge is to live well, and watch your tormentors trip themselves up smile

Luckygirl Wed 18-Nov-20 12:51:09

Unfortunately for many evil people the consequences of their actions never come back to bite them.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 12:49:23

Do you believe that "what goes around, comes around"?

Is it just the consequences of our actions that catch up with us, naturally, or is there a more organised system of ensuring people reap what they sow?

Or, is it a load of twaddle?