Gransnet forums

Chat

Another vacuous thread! Tenuous Claims to Fame

(700 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 14:23:18

The more tenuous and obscure the better!
My aunty went out with the bloke who designed * both*
A) the Cadbury's Chocolate Orange packaging, and
B) Buzby, the British Telecom mascot

Beat that Gransnetterssmile

BlueBelle Thu 19-Nov-20 15:19:28

I have a photo of me being kidpssed by Brian Jacks judo Olympic champion ohh er

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 15:23:37

Roses

I've had a chat with The Queen

Oh come on!
Some of these are far too goodangry
I want really rubbish claims to fame...

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 15:24:29

BlueBelle

I made Bernie Cliftons bed in the late 70 s

Now this is the stuff grin

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 15:26:31

Kate1949

My sister went out with Ozzie Osbourne's brother.

I went to school with Ozzie Osbourne's niece.
She was in the year above me.
I never spoke to her.

Kate1949 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:27:55

Small world Fanny . Ozzie"s brother was lovely.

FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 15:28:27

GrannyGravy13

My Mother and our dog were on the Eamon Andrews show (was it called Today?)

Why? How was the dog involved?

Roses Thu 19-Nov-20 15:31:59

Sorry FANNY it's the only one I've got

Tigerdove Thu 19-Nov-20 15:33:04

In the late 70s my window cleaner was the boyfriend of Karen Barber, who with partner, came second to Torvill and Dean at the British championship.

Roses Thu 19-Nov-20 15:36:45

I've just remembered!!! When I was in my teens I used to babysit for Glendale Jackson'sister

Is that better Fanny?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:36:59

It was a chihuahua which managed to bite the postman’s finger as he pushed the post through the letterbox!!! It made the local and national press! (Very embarrassing for me as a teenager ☺️)

Glorybee Thu 19-Nov-20 15:37:13

I stroked the neck of Harvey Smith’s horse in the 70’s

Roses Thu 19-Nov-20 15:38:02

Glenda not Glendale

annsixty Thu 19-Nov-20 15:38:09

I was once in a queue behind Katy Price.
Not more obscure than that.

fiorentina51 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:39:07

I sat at the next table to Gary Lineker and his family in a pub in Devon. I had my back to him so didn't notice him until I got up to leave.

Hellogirl1 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:41:28

As a baby I was cuddled by George Formby, and in 1997 I was on Fifteen to One. My youngest daughter and myself were in the Strictly audience last year, but we couldn`t see ourselves on TV, duh!

silverlining48 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:46:05

I may have mentioned this before smile sorry, but I was chatted up as a teenager by the Rolling Stones, Mick in particular. Years later met Glenda Jackson who took me to lunch.
My friend sat with the Beatles in Broadcasting House ( they were waiting fir the crowds of screaming fans outside to disperse and she was waiting fir her dad to pick her up). She chatted and got their autographs.
Another had dinners at Buck House and Highgrove. It went to her head.
My dh saw the queen on and off the royal train sometimes. The queen is tiny.
More recently came across The Crown being filmed in Rye. Series 3, the one with PM and Roddy Lewellyn . They must have their own car collection as we saw the same cars in the new series.
My friend’s partner worked with PW and PH ( before PH married).
Oh and my dd went out with someone whose uncle was one of The Who. My dh is a big fan and hoped it would lead to marriage smile ....visions of jamming at the reception. Sadly relationship was brief. sad
That’s about it, definitely vacuous. They are people like us, good and bad, just a lot richer and more famous.

boheminan Thu 19-Nov-20 15:46:08

Well, I stood two people behind Tessa Peake-Jones (Raquel in 'Only Fools and Horses') in a queue in Boots chemist about 20 years agoshock

silverlining48 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:50:48

Glenda used to work in Boots smile

annsixty Thu 19-Nov-20 15:57:16

Just remembered, I had a coffee in a very small cafe in Wales and Frances de la Tour sat at the next table.
I have also seen several Corrie actors out and about in Manchester.

grumppa Thu 19-Nov-20 15:59:31

Acted in As You Like It with a future Wales Rugby International. He played Charles the Wrestler.

fiorentina51 Thu 19-Nov-20 15:59:38

When I worked at Boots Honor Blackmail came in and bought a bottle of Paracetamol tablets.

LaRia44 Thu 19-Nov-20 16:00:26

I once saw Alan Bates on the upper deck of a London Bus, I was 17.
Also I saw Eddie Murphy driving a red open top car while on a sightseeing tour bus in L A.

Alygran Thu 19-Nov-20 16:00:30

We were having afternoon tea in Reid’s in Madeira when David Gower came in with his family. He was refused a table as he was wearing shorts. Complete gentleman about it, he booked for the next day

MellowYellow Thu 19-Nov-20 16:00:36

I spent the day with George Harrison when he was house-hunting in Cornwall. Really lovely guy.

And I was working at the BBC when transmission changed from black and white to colour.

And once I swallowed a contact lens.

fiorentina51 Thu 19-Nov-20 16:00:40

Blackmail??
Blackman