Gransnet forums

Chat

Another vacuous thread! Tenuous Claims to Fame

(700 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 14:23:18

The more tenuous and obscure the better!
My aunty went out with the bloke who designed * both*
A) the Cadbury's Chocolate Orange packaging, and
B) Buzby, the British Telecom mascot

Beat that Gransnetterssmile

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Nov-20 12:07:48

Wow!
Thank you for all of your lovely messages, including the effusive one above from Namsnanny
I'm really touched.
The pleasure was all mine, I love faffing about with daft things.
When I was TA-ing and Teaching I spent too much time doing things like this with the kids.

If anyone has any ideas for a similar silly thread that we can vote on, let me know. I'm more than happy to host it and do the admin.

Thank you again everyone for joining in with the fun, it's been a great distraction during a difficult time smilethanksbrew

LauraNorder Tue 24-Nov-20 12:20:22

Late entry, I know too late

I was on the original thread that was joined for the very first time by the very well wonderful, amusing and imaginative.......

Drum roll .......

Fanny Carnforth

LauraNorder Tue 24-Nov-20 12:22:24

Oh dear Fanny Cornforth, fancy cocking that up on a drum roll, creeping away in shame but not before saying thank you Fanny

Rosy2 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:42:12

Visited New York and walking the Brooklyn Bridge towards came the Dalai Lama and his entourage. It was such a surprise and his smiling face has stayed with me.

nanna123 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:47:36

My granny invited Alan Freeman (DJ) to lunch before he was due to open the village fete, he accepted and was very nice and quite normal even to a star struck teenager!

MellowYellow Tue 24-Nov-20 12:55:37

Mrs Thatcher visited my prem baby daughter in her incubator in hospital, during a formal tour. I wasn't there and my daughter doesn't remember it. smilewink

Blinko Tue 24-Nov-20 15:49:46

Many congratulations to the winners. wine

Tried posting yesterday but for some reason it wouldn't work.

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:53:20

MellowYellow ?

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:54:42

Blinko I think there was a blip yesterday, no-one could post and it was down to six threads.
I thought GN was on its last legs.

Urmstongran Tue 24-Nov-20 16:08:35

Thanks Fanny for the thread. It’s been fun to read!

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Nov-20 16:29:26

Callistemon

Blinko I think there was a blip yesterday, no-one could post and it was down to six threads.
I thought GN was on its last legs.

Really?!?
Was there sabotage afoot? shock
The lengths people will go to...
(I'm looking at you Norstatenvy)

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Nov-20 16:30:36

Sorry, missed out a t there.

LuckyFour Fri 27-Nov-20 19:52:48

Do you all live in London? We never see anyone famous down here in deepest, darkest Devon. I've just remembered that The Crankies (who were lovely) and Jim Davidson (he was ok) used to come into our shop years ago. Best I can offer.

Callistemon Fri 27-Nov-20 20:03:03

Is that u because they migrate to lovely Wales, Luckyfour

Although, talking about deepest darkest Devon, my nephew went to the same school as Joss Stone (but doesn't know her), Donovan lived round the corner from me (I never met him). David Owen's mother was friends with my MIL, Sharron Davies and Tom Daley trained in the pool my DC went to (we don't remember), I saw Angela Rippon in Plymouth Market and my DD said that Nigel Mansell was extremely rude when she waited on him at his country club when she was at university.
Etc.

Callistemon Fri 27-Nov-20 20:03:38

u?
Superfluous

trisher Fri 27-Nov-20 21:06:09

How did I miss this thread???? I blame 'vacuous' and 'tenuous' I thought long words meant serious stuff!!!
I once hitched a lft with Edwin Starr and his road manger (I didn't know who he was anyway). My son once went to a function and stood next to Harvey Keitel in the loo.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 28-Nov-20 18:25:16

I once asked Jonathon Pryce for a chair next to his table in a very crowded posh cafe.

Lucca Sat 28-Nov-20 18:35:33

I taught “belle dingle”

LauraNorder Sat 28-Nov-20 18:48:48

Are we in round two?
When I lived in Australia I prosecuted Gough Whitlam’s gardener, he allegedly assaulted the housekeeper and stole a lawnmower, a garden roller, two wheelbarrows and lots of garden tools.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 19:12:19

Laura who is Gough Whitlam?
Let alone his gardener...

Namsnanny Sat 28-Nov-20 19:25:34

LauraNorder* ... How did he get away with the garden roller, they're really heavy?
Australian PM FannyCornforth Just looked him up.
He sounds like an American country singer!!

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:08:16

FannyCornforth

Laura who is Gough Whitlam?
Let alone his gardener...

If you're not Australian you may not know, FannyC

I'm really impressed, LauraNorder!

silverlining48 Sat 28-Nov-20 20:08:55

Ex Prime minister of Australia ?

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 20:18:42

Similar theme
My daughter shook hands with John Howard at an event where she received an award.
(No, he's not a pop star).

varian Sat 28-Nov-20 20:55:53

A late relative got chatting to Prince William when they were both queueing at the same checkout jn Tesco in St Andrews.