Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(69 Posts)
12Michael Fri 20-Nov-20 06:14:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning .
Today , usual shop later ,and then rest of the day in.
Anyway , Yesterday I watched Bargain Hunt at lunchtime despite being a repeat , did show a off site location where the teams met there experts so to speak , it was filmed on a Friday as the market was on the piazza , if you saw it yesterday ,at the back you you saw a local hotel on the left and a shop on the right , well in between there was an alley ,and just about 30 yards or so is where I live .
Take Care ,
Mick

Susan56 Fri 20-Nov-20 07:54:21

Good morning from Shropshire.

I haven’t been sleeping too well lately for various reasons.Anxieties seem magnified in the middle of the night.

Our DD went back to work yesterday.She has been isolating for two weeks as a child in her class had tested positive for Covid.Unbelievably a mother who has Covid sent her child into school so they are waiting to hear if they have to isolate again?

Dragonfly, happy birthday to your DD.It is our DGD’s fifth birthday today.Our daughter has changed our childcare day to today so we have Henry all day then will collect the birthday girl from school.

I think of gilly often too and hope she knows how much we all miss her and hope things are better for her.As Urmston says, her life was beyond stressful.

Hope Mary and Cherry had a better night and are feeling brighter today.

Have a good day all.

Marydoll Fri 20-Nov-20 08:01:43

Good morning all from a very dark Glasgow. I'm sitting writing this in the dark, as DH is fast asleep. DH has cancelled the golf out of respect for his golfing partner and his deceased sister. In addition to that, its supposed to be very wet today, sorry baubles. No empty for me today!
At least I will get some help with the Tesco delivery. Unfortunately, last week DH mixed up all the shopping and when DD came to collect it, we couldn't find half the stuff. ?

Beechnut, remember the recipe only works with block margarine, otherwise the end result is too oily.
I made a huge tray of Mars Bar cake for my children and neighbours, which I delivered yesterday and realised I had only left a few for myself! Not very clever to say the least. ?

It was lovely to have some human contact yesterday. When I went to deliver the goodies, my friend opposite came to the door with her DGD, then the Ebay queen came out with her toddler DGS, another neighbour appeared pushing his toddler grandson and a neighbour I hadn't see for ages, appeared with his two year grandson, toddling along.
One of them started crying and set the rest off!! The noise was horrendous I was standing, socially distancing, in the middle of the cul de sac laughing, glad I was childfree!! I told them I needed earplugs, I didn't like children any more and beat a hasty retreat!!! ?
It was just so nice just to speak to someone, other than DH.

Last night, we went to visit DS2 at his new home, to drop off the remaing stuff he had stored in his garage.
I had Victorian cottage envy! ?.
I'm so happy for him and his fiancée, he is the exact opposite of me, shy and retiring, I never thought he would ever meet anyone and settle down.
On the way back home, I received a video, taken from the doorbell camera, he had just installed, saying he was sending it to Crimewatch, as two elderly, suspicious characters had been loitering in his garden.
I swear it was my mother in the video. ? Unfortunately, it also revealed me nipping away at DH!!! ?

Wishing everyone, a hopefully pleasant day. Dragonfly, I hope the end of your treatment is in sight.

Grandmabatty Fri 20-Nov-20 08:06:42

Good morning All. It's dry in Polmont but cloudy. That must have been interesting Mick. Did you see them filming? I was glad I visited ds yesterday on his birthday as he stopped working and blethered for an hour and a half! I think he has missed company a lot. I just pottered about the rest of the day. Today I'm meeting a friend for breakfast at my local garden centre. Then I have some deliveries to wait in for. I've been trying to get a christmas slot from tesco to no avail. Apart from that, it'll be a quiet day. I might do some winter tidying outside, putting furniture in the summer house and moving the boxes of Christmas decorations inside the house. Have a good day all.

Greyduster Fri 20-Nov-20 08:07:38

Good morning Michael and all GN on a very chilly but clear South Yorkshire day. In no hurry to get up this morning and nothing much to do but potter. We have to go over to DDs later as it’s SiL’s birthday and I have made him a cake. Suffice it to say my piping skills are not what they were, but he’ll look past that, I know! If he doesn’t I’ll take the cake back and eat it myself!?. Have the best day you can, folks.

Gingster Fri 20-Nov-20 08:09:33

Good morning all from a chilly Essex. Frost on the car roofs. ❄️.

Firstly, Scentia my thoughts are with you. So sad to lose our little companions. Happy times and memories. ?.

Mick - my DH always watches Bargain Hunt. If we are out walking, I see him looking at his watch and if his pace increases, I know it’s nearly time for BH. They have filmed near here In Rayleigh and also quite a lot in our part of Suffolk and i always look to see if we can spot people we know. Did you see anyone familiar?

Yesterday, lunchtime , I had a call from twin GS’s school. One of the boys had fainted, banged his head and cut his lip. Mum was at work. We picked him and his mum returned and took him to the hospital where they spent 6 and a half hours. Extremely thorough examinations and checks and all is fine. Lastly He has to go for a head examination and they await an appointment. A lot of waiting about but good to know he’s been checked out. I picked up his little sister (5) from school and had her here til they got back. Good as gold but always busy and doing. Still colouring, reading, crafting at 8 o’clock. ?. Ive got her again this morning as the school has an inset day ?. I’ll make marydolls mars bar cakes with her. Could I have the recipe again please?

Good luck with all your boilers - it’s always this time of year is t it?

Pleasant day to all. ???

Scentia Fri 20-Nov-20 08:13:42

Marydoll. That has made me laugh about the video doorbell!! Thankyou I needed that?

MellowYellow Fri 20-Nov-20 08:13:45

Good morning everyone from a very damp south Cornwall.

So sorry about your loss Scentia. flowers

Well, my washing machine packed up with a loud bang yesterday so that's my unexpected Christmas present to myself! I buy from a small electrical firm up the road. His prices are very good.

Today I'm having a pelvic xray then birthday party shopping with my son. After that I'll be turning my dinky little flat into a Tardis to accommodate three young children racing around tomorrow.

The best of days to you all. sunshine

Marydoll Fri 20-Nov-20 08:14:53

I posted the recipe yesterday, Gingster , its on Thursday's thread.

If you can't find it, PM me.

CanadianGran Fri 20-Nov-20 08:16:05

I love to hear these messages. I am currently working the late shift; it's just after midnight and my relief arrives at 12:30, so just a little while left of work. The job slows down considerably in the evening, so I get time to come here for updates. Cold and damp here, but not freezing so shouldn't have to scrape the windshield of my car when I get off work.

Cheers to you all, have a good day.

Gingster Fri 20-Nov-20 08:16:17

Ok thanks Marydoll ?

kittylester Fri 20-Nov-20 08:26:22

Morning all from a grey North Leicestershire. There was a fabulous pink sky when I went down to make the tea but it had disappeared by the time I got my phone to record it.

Not a lot on here today.

Sorry about your dog Scentia. We still miss our last dog which died about 8 years ago. thanks

Good luck with your task, sark. The responsibility lies with the vendor if it doesnt turn up. We ordered from Smyth's Toys last year and they were brilliant at sending a replacement.

Love to gilly as always.

cornergran Fri 20-Nov-20 08:30:30

Morning Mick, morning All from a very and very wet corner of Somerset. Missions accomplished yesterday a quiet one ahead here. Some admin for me this morning, Mr C will (finally) put some ‘stuff’ back in his man shed before he settles to his new jigsaw. The video made me laugh marydoll. Sad news Scentia, I was so sorry to read your post yesterday about an important family member. Pleased to hear your grandson wasn’t badly hurt gingster. Maybe not the Christmas present you had anticipated mellowyellow. I’m sure the cake will be appreciated greyd, if not we’ll all help eat it. Oh well, best stir myself. Take care everyone, hope Friday is the best day it can be.

Georgesgran Fri 20-Nov-20 08:33:34

Good morning from Durham. Not opened the curtains yet.

So sorry to hear your sad news Scentia - it’s never easy, but a day too soon is far better than a day too late ? they leave paw prints in your heart.

Another nothing day here. Car serviced and MOT’d ok - bill starts with a 4, so that’ll be my Christmas present to myself.

Big hospital yesterday with DH. Consultant seems reasonably happy with things, so treatment continues through to May - hopefully slowing things down. Meds make DH tired and permanently hungry - I feel as if I’m shopping for a family of 6. Peripheral neuropathy is worse too and that’s really affecting him badly. I expect we’ll manage a little walk later.

Might see if friend is out and about and if we can get a ‘walking coffee’ somewhere.

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

Pittcity Fri 20-Nov-20 08:35:29

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Cold and frosty here.
Not a lot going on today. Just a bit of pootling and faffing.

Lins1066 Fri 20-Nov-20 08:35:35

Good morning Mick and all. It is wet here on the S Welsh coast, a bit of a blow after a lovely day yesterday. We thoroughly enjoyed our stroll around the NT property, so good to get out. I didn't read about your Sasha until last night Scentia, I really feel for you, take care of yourself xx

We have new people moving into the house next door but one, brings back loads of memories. We moved into this house on a rainy November day in 1983, our son was a year old. He started to cry when the removal men got his cot out of the van, so they put him into it and carried him inside.
Hope everyone will have a pleasant day and stay safe.

Stilllearning Fri 20-Nov-20 08:37:40

Morning from S Lanarkshire, dry just now but lots of rain forecast. I have a much needed haircut first thing so will read posts later. My Oban daughter has had meetings in Glasgow over the last couple of days and is coming for a coffee before she heads north. I have set up the garden table and chairs in the garage! It will be so good to see her but with the door wide open it will be a short visit, what times we live in.
Good wishes to everyone.

Urmstongran Fri 20-Nov-20 08:40:08

He started to cry when the removal men got his cot out of the van, so they put him into it and carried him inside that made me chuckle Lins!
?

Beauregard Fri 20-Nov-20 08:40:24

Good morning all from Derbyshire where it's currently dry with rain due later.

DH wants to go walking this morning so we'll be trying to dodge the showers. You can tell he's feeling much better now as his hernia has settled down and he isn't getting pain at the moment. He's received a hospital appointment to see a consultant about it in two weeks time so hopefully he will be put on a waiting list for surgery. Goodness knows when that will be though.

Yesterday was a momentous day for me. My five year old grandson told me he loved me (no prompting either). Up to now he's only reserved that honour for his mummy, so it's very special to me ?

Scentia I'm thinking of you today flowers

Hope Friday is a good day for all.

ginny Fri 20-Nov-20 08:47:56

Good Morning all from a chilly but dry N. Bucks.

New coffee table delivery due and then a short walk.

Must clear up in my craft room. Should have some pictures of the cushions tomorrow.

Just a day of bits and bobs really.

Hope everyone finds some ? today.

harrigran Fri 20-Nov-20 08:50:12

Good morning from an overcast NE.
It was frosty when I went to bed but eased as the night progressed.
Another disturbed night, light out at 11pm but couldn't sleep so retired to the spare room with my book.
DS sent a photo of new washer in situ, so pleased they had managed to man/woman handle it into the utility area.
I had a text message to go online and download a letter from my consultant, hospitals assume we all have smart phones and computers. The consultation will be a telephone one, don't know what they will do about blood test, CT scan and colonoscopy which are due.
Need to go online and buy DS's birthday present, he wants a new phone and DIL sent me a link, makes the job easier.
Have the best day you can.

NannyJan53 Fri 20-Nov-20 08:57:56

Good morning from another wet and dull Black Country. Didn't wake up until after 8am. Still having weird dreams every night. Last night we were travelling around Lindos on the island of Rhodes in our caravan, and found a chippy! They also offered Italian food hmm

Not a lot planned for today, housework and ironing probably, but that can always wait till tomorrow!

Partner has just nipped out on his bike to buy a few provisions we have run out of, like onions etc.

We both had a text yesterday, saying the infection rates in our area (Dudley Borough) are very high. It gives a link to click if you need to book a test. I never click on links from numbers I don't know, so would just go to the Govt website or ring 119. Funnily enough I had the same text about 20 minutes later!

Wishing you all a pleasant day, just hoping gilly is ok. There is so much love and concern here, I hope you are feeling it gilly

Anniebach Fri 20-Nov-20 09:00:34

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Nortsat Fri 20-Nov-20 09:12:50

Good morning Mick and the GM team from grey east London (I must write grey east London a lot because now it comes up on the predictive text ...).

Scentia, I am so sorry to learn that you lost your dear pooch. I must have missed your post yesterday. Gosh they leave a big pooch shaped hole in your life, don’t they.

We spent the best part of yesterday afternoon setting up our new set top box. What a palaver ... the instructions were very scant and they seem to assume a significant amount of existing knowledge. I am a careful reader of instructions and my partner is a ‘Let’s just get on and do it’ kind of man.
In the end we were on the phone for half an hour to the technical help desk. However, it’s up and running now ... hurrah.

It’s cooler weather here today. I will make Leek & Bacon casserole for supper.

Thinking of everyone facing challenges today and sending good wishes to gillybob on the off chance she’s reading.
Have a pleasant day, all. ?

GrannySomerset Fri 20-Nov-20 09:13:18

Awaiting the plumber to see if the flooding washing machine saga can be concluded but am not optimistic. Grey morning but not actually raining so might walk up to the village to post Advent calendars to the GC. Carefully wrapped and protected with cardboard, these are most awkward parcels and I don’t want them rained on. I thought that as teenagers (18, 14 and 13) they might be too old but am glad to say they are not. Mind you, DGD1’s mother expected an Advent calendar until I started to buy one for her daughter instead!

Gelisajams Fri 20-Nov-20 09:19:32

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay where yet more rain is to come. We got home late after our drive and walk with DS2. It was all disconcerting during the walk. A couple of women stopped us and asked if we had seen a child in a grey coat. We hadn’t seen anyone. A few minutes later the police helicopter appeared overhead and circled above us for the rest of our walk. As we got off the moors there were police vans everywhere. Very disconcerting. DS2 says there was nothing on social media, so hopefully she has been found safe.
Sorry to hear about Sacha Scentia?
Not a lot planned for today a bit of sewing maybe.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?