Gransnet forums

Chat

Your views on Media “censorship” ?

(38 Posts)
MawBe Fri 20-Nov-20 12:16:54

BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Christmas favourite Fairytale of New York to avoid offending its youthful listeners.
The Pogues’ gritty festive hit with Kirsty MacColl has become a festive playlist staple, but in recent years has come under increased scrutiny for its adult content and lyrics, which include the words ­“faggot” and “slut”.
BBC bosses say they fear the terms may upset Radio 1’s younger listeners.
This year, the station will play an alternative version – also sung by ­MacColl – with the offending references replaced by more modest terms.
Radio 2, however, will continue to play the original, and BBC 6 Music is making both ­versions available and leaving it to each ­presenter’s choice.

MrsThreadgoode Fri 20-Nov-20 12:22:47

The worlds gone mad, however,I was surprised to hear ( on the Great Pottery Showdown , old series) ‘Bend It’ which has been banned since I was a teenager.

Id forgotten what a good song it was and I was pleased to hear it.

MrsThreadgoode Fri 20-Nov-20 12:23:52

Sorry forgot to say that some modern song lyrics are not what I want to hear and some of them are pretty awful.makes the Pogues seem very tame.

Granny23 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:29:00

Reminds me of expurgated versions of the Bible! Where will this end? If continued much of our literature, (including all of Enid Blyton) will be banned, as happened to Little Black Sambo and golliwogs. These things were 'of their time'. I don't think they should be blanket banned, but rather presented as examples of how things used to be.

Iam64 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:30:10

I'm so relieved I'm a radio 2, rather than radio 1 listener.
MrsThreadgoode is correct, I loathe those 'hit your bitch/ho' type raps. Give me the emotional, joyful, drunken, irreverent Fairy Tale in New York any day

MissAdventure Fri 20-Nov-20 12:30:34

I think it's a lovely song. It is all the more poignant, witnessing the talent of Kirsty.

paddyanne Fri 20-Nov-20 12:36:02

Granny23 we weren't allowed to read Enid Blyton ,my Dad thought the stories were poorly written and of no worth .We weren't supposed to get comics or magazines either but mum would smuggle the odd Judy or Jackie in when Dad was working as long as it was well hidden

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:36:23

Perhaps BBC should listen to the rap/hip hop lyrics they play before censoring The Pogues (my favourite Christmas pop song)

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:47:30

The latest idiocy is The Pogs “Fairytale of New York”

They’ve changed the wording so as not to offend.

What snowflakes people are becoming!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:47:49

Pogues!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:48:38

Oh god I should have read the OP fully.

Ignore my burbling

Iam64 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:53:15

Burble On Whitewavemark2 - it's a grey rainy day here.

rafichagran Fri 20-Nov-20 13:02:49

My favourite Christmas song of all time,it is gritty and of its era
. I suspect people who had fallen on hard times were probably not PC and the language in the song reflects that.
Leave it alone, it does not need changing, if people are offended turn the song off or turn over if it is on the television.
Honestly have we not got more to worry about.

Doodledog Fri 20-Nov-20 13:08:14

The song is a favourite of mine (and of a lot of people!), but it is of its time, and times change. I don't see a problem with changing the word. It doesn't change the meaning of the song, the band is happy with the change, and it seems to me a storm in a teacup.

When I was young I heard all kinds of words on a daily basis that I wouldn't have wanted my own children to hear, and they will feel the same about their own children.

Think of those 'It was alright in the 70s' shows. Some of the things that are on there are shocking, even though they were considered ok at the time. I see this as a bit like that - it wold be a pity to ban the song, as it is so good, but there is no need for a new generation to hear that sort of language, IMO.

petra Fri 20-Nov-20 13:10:13

Another one from the BBC wokespeak bible this week was from Katya Adler. When commenting on the trade talks she used the word Fisherwoman
Thank god the 2.4 Fisherwomen in this country well and truely castigated her and pointed out that they are Fishermen.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Nov-20 13:13:29

My grandsons know a lot worse words than are used in the song, just because they are young, listen to music and watch things online.

Missfoodlove Fri 20-Nov-20 13:16:08

If I am wished “happy holiday” I will scream.

Blossoming Fri 20-Nov-20 13:17:09

I think it’s because too many people assume the word ‘faggot’ is being used as a homosexual slur. When I was young the word meant an old bag, much the same as besom. I always thought that was how it was used in the song.

Blossoming Fri 20-Nov-20 13:18:41

Missfoodlove I think I’d reply “What makes you think I’m going on holiday?”

MissAdventure Fri 20-Nov-20 13:20:33

That's my take on the word, too.
My best friend used to call me a silly old faggot when we were about ten.

LauraNorder Fri 20-Nov-20 13:26:45

we in the north eat faggots

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 13:31:45

Unless these things are deliberately brought to our attention, they go unnoticed. I wish this nit-picking would stop as that's what it is, purposely pointed out by the media to cause maximum hysteria and unnecessary sensationalism.

I'm sick of it all. Thank goodness I've got the original Christmas recordings.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 13:34:03

I used to love faggots in gravy years ago anyway ! There, I've said it.

Remind me to complain bitterly about all the swearing on TV !

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 13:37:14

Double standards galore. No wonder kids are confused.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 13:38:25

Faggot is a bundle of wood.