Gransnet forums

Chat

Buying a turkey!

(78 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sat 21-Nov-20 17:30:37

Right oh, just thought I’d buy a small turkey crown and freeze it till Christmas, even though I’m on my own. BUT there are none to be had by online supermarkets until 20th December, which is fine if you can still get a delivery then and you want to pay double delivery fees. £10 for Ocado. So blow them, I’m having beef.?

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 14:01:22

I don’t think the kind made for your daughter were what Orlin has in mind.

Callistemon Mon 23-Nov-20 12:55:12

I've made them for DD.

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 12:50:12

Orlin says a nut roast sounds painful. Even more so than Slade on a loop.

Callistemon Mon 23-Nov-20 12:47:29

Start your own thread moggie.

Callistemon Mon 23-Nov-20 12:45:58

moggie57

nor turkey/goose/chicken/lamb or whatever ,you ever been inside a chicken slaughter house .? i have. there are no words for what i saw...i was quick to leave .it was a farm visit i didnt know they slaughtered chickens though..made me be quite sick ..

I don't try to force my views on vegans so why do they force them on me?

moggie57 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:45:02

i suppose as long as its all wrapped up in plastic and you dont have to slaughter an animal its ok ,well its not !!! beef/cows have tumours etc make you wonder what you eating .colrinated chicken ,you seen what they do to chickens to get them nice and plump. the chemicals they put in them to make the meat nice and red.i been vegetarian now 35 years ........be different this year go vegetarian..

Callistemon Mon 23-Nov-20 12:44:04

Kalu

*Calli*, you would have to tie me down to listen to Slade on a loop. ?

Me too grin

Although it's now an ear worm! Eek

moggie57 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:41:55

nor turkey/goose/chicken/lamb or whatever ,you ever been inside a chicken slaughter house .? i have. there are no words for what i saw...i was quick to leave .it was a farm visit i didnt know they slaughtered chickens though..made me be quite sick ..

moggie57 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:39:47

how about having quorn or nut roast ,.i am not eating animals just for my pleasure ,cut up cow for christmas how gross...!!!

Kalu Mon 23-Nov-20 10:31:17

Calli, you would have to tie me down to listen to Slade on a loop. ?

Callistemon Mon 23-Nov-20 10:14:20

Best not to order it just ask it nicely.
I will, in fact I hope it sorts itself out while I relax with a glass of sherry, listening to Slade on a loop.

Sewpolly Mon 23-Nov-20 10:08:45

Is that the Sarah Brown mushroom sauce recipe? It's so, so good!

lemongrove Mon 23-Nov-20 10:03:00

You can certainly buy one online at Tesco.

Shropshirelass Mon 23-Nov-20 09:04:00

I love turkey, the dark meat and skin is my favourite. I will be buying the usual fresh free range one, well I hope to, stocks permitting. Otherwise not sure what we will have but we will enjoy it regardless.

JuliaM Mon 23-Nov-20 00:11:26

Eeee by gum! The Derbyshire Duck!
Our local Butcher sells locally raised meat and Poultry from around the Derbyshire Dales and Peak district, and has been doing a home delivery service thoughout the Covid lockdowns, just order on line and pay by card for a contact less service. We have ordered a fresh Turkey Saddle from him plus a large pork pie, sliced 500grm Ham and Roast beef packs, plus pigs in Blankets and Sausage meat for Sausage rolls. If we end upwith just the two of us, I will cut the Turkey Saddle in half and freeze the other half when it arrives on 23rd December. Its a bit more expensive than the supermarket stuff, but the Quality is fantastic.

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 22:08:34

'Ey up me duck, y'alreet?'
But I hope it doesn't answer 'Aye, grand. Y'rsel?'

LauraNorder Sun 22-Nov-20 21:48:01

What will you say to the duck? Baste yer self.
Could be construed as bullying. Best not to order it just ask it nicely.

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 19:52:17

I may order a duck

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 19:51:36

LauraNorder

Can’t go wrong Callistemon.
Followed my bread and butter pudding made with brioche and lots of rum, yum

I've got a 3 year old Christmas pud in the cupboard, LauraNorder.
Should be ok with plenty of brandy in the sauce, shouldn't it?

alig99 Sun 22-Nov-20 19:46:04

Plenty of Turkey crown's, all sizes, in my area as been comparing pricesdle, Aldi, Iceland, asda, tesco, co op. How bizarre there are none in your area.

pinkjj27 Sun 22-Nov-20 19:28:21

Yum Theoddbird I am coming to yours that sounds lovely

readalot Sun 22-Nov-20 18:48:45

There's only me and my hubby for Xmas dinner and he doesn't like Turkey, it's bad enough trying to get him to eat chicken. We will be having Leg of Lamb.

LauraNorder Sun 22-Nov-20 18:31:15

Can’t go wrong Callistemon.
Followed my bread and butter pudding made with brioche and lots of rum, yum

Callistemon Sun 22-Nov-20 18:05:55

The local farm where we've bought whole turkeys before now have crowns at £60 & £70!
As we may not even be allowed over the border to collect it, what was Plan B?
We could be eating egg and chips as well, LauraNorder.

Joplin Sun 22-Nov-20 17:37:18

Theoddbird, your meal sounds delicious. Can it be bought or is it your own recipe?