Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Sun 22-Nov-20 06:10:09

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark but dry start here this morning in Brackley .
A quiet day , with a small shop , but generally Laundry this morning early whilst I have the chance .
The town here seems to be getting quieter each day during this current lockdown.
Take Care,
Mick

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 22-Nov-20 22:45:13

Marydoll, where are you? We are worried about you!

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 22:31:40

I do hope Marydoll is OK, I don’t have much news to share here at the moment but I love reading what everybody has been up to.

Sunnyoutlook Sun 22-Nov-20 22:27:00

Marydoll Please don’t leave us even for a day. I’m only a lurker but always look for your post on this thread. Also I look for your posts and your opinions when others are looking for advice on serious family matters. You are such a wise lady.

Urmstongran Sun 22-Nov-20 16:28:33

Just popped back (a) to see if our Marydoll posted. Thank you for telling us that dragonfly but it’s distressing to hear. Poor woman has enough on her plate right now. Come back on here tomorrow Marydoll please ... why should your friends on this lovely supportive thread have to miss out on your company?

Also (b) to thank you all very much for your great suggestions. I will definitely go over them carefully and have a good think as to the best way to help my friend. I do apologise for monopolising the thread somewhat today but I felt mithered & a trouble shared and all that eh? Thanks again everybody.
?

brook2704 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:08:35

Just popped back on here to catch up on the news as I’m in from the garden now. It’s already going dark and getting very cold so a warm shower and a lazy evening is on the cards ...
They are the red squirrels Taichinan like you say I don’t think the grey ones live this far north, we always put squirrel food out for them but it doesn’t last long. Luckily our garden backs onto a wood so there’s lots about. Thanks for asking ?

Nortsat Sun 22-Nov-20 13:54:41

I too, just popped back to see whether Marydoll has posted. I hope all is well.

dragonfly46 Sun 22-Nov-20 13:53:51

I think Marydoll was upset by some remarks made yesterday. She is staying away for a while.

Mapleleaf Sun 22-Nov-20 13:17:07

Just popped back to say I too, hope Marydoll is ok as it’s unlike her not to post. ?
Also, I decided on the Delia recipe after all - I’m a creature of habit! ?

Taichinan Sun 22-Nov-20 13:02:26

Well, here I am again for a second try. No idea what happened to my last post! I am now washed, dressed and breakfasted and am taking what I consider to be a well earned rest from houseworking to have another go.

It was a glorious morning on the Angus coast but it has clouded over a bit now. My lovely young neighbour, whose garden adjoins mine, has spent the last couple of weekends disposing of of a large evergreen bush which was doing an amazing job of blocking the summer/autumn evening sun from my patio. I shall be transmitting many hugs and kisses in his direction come next year, and in the meantime donate a large bottle of sparkling wine towards his and his wife's Christmas celebrations. As the tree grew over the years, so my previous neighbour aged, and I didn't like to bother him. I didn't even need to ask these two lovely people - they approached me. Keepers!

Talking of sun, my drive down the coast yesterday was directly into the low afternoon sun so didn't see anything but the road ahead. However I drove home on the old coast road - narrow and winding but opening up every now and then into glorious views. And the sun was behind me! That's what I like about this stage of old age - time to appreciate all the beauty around me. I was always aware of it, but it didn't bring me the joy it brings now.

Urmston your neighbour's plight is heartbreaking. I'm sure your other friends are as lovely as you (otherwise they wouldn't be your friends!) so perhaps you could ask them to keep an eye on her? Has she met any of them?

I think maybe you've been experiencing vertigo baubles, which is horrid. Grandmafrench's advice seems sensible for you, plus a call to your GP perhaps.

Brook how lovely to sit in your garden watching squirrels around you! We have none round here, but plenty of reds up in the glens. I'm assuming yours are reds? I don't think the greys have reached this far north yet, although there were large numbers of them down in Edinburgh and south Fife twenty-odd years ago when I lived there in a previous life.

Well somehow I seem to be being ruled by onerous duties today (imposed by myself, so I must get going again. But before I do, I'm going to treat myself to an early Christmas present. Then if all tentative plans go belly-up I can spend the day watching a Robotvac in action!

I hope everyone's day is kind to them and somehow you manage to spot the little gems of happiness which are lurking, waiting to be discovered in even the darkest corners. ???

Gingster Sun 22-Nov-20 12:45:19

Thankyou grandmafrench for you kind thoughts for my DH’s covid Test and ear op. You never forget anyone with problems or worries. How do you do it, ♥️

I’m also hoping Marydoll is ok ?. Hopefully we’ll hear from her soon. ?

mamaa Sun 22-Nov-20 12:44:48

Susan56 me too re popping back to look, hoping all is ok with Marydoll- I also looked on a couple of others threads earlier but not really sure where to look tbh...

Namsnanny Sun 22-Nov-20 12:27:01

The sun is still burning the mist off in places.
It's looking good for out door pursuits, for those who can!

Sorry you didn't sleep well farview better luck tonightshamrock
Enjoy today everyone

Susan56 Sun 22-Nov-20 12:13:45

I have just popped back as well to see if Marydoll has posted.
Hope all is well.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Nov-20 12:09:25

Popped back to see if our dear Marydoll had posted.

Totally forgot that I had a Waitrose delivery this morning......oops I have very full cupboards and fridge!!!

GrandpaGravy has just got all twenty something boxes of Christmas decorations down from the loft, so I need to get sorted (I will not own up to buying two more prelit 2’6” Christmas trees online just nowblush) in my defence one is for a GCs bedroom ?

Namsnanny Sun 22-Nov-20 11:59:25

Thank you for pointing that out Grandmabatty I read but dont often post. I did yesterday so I was looking for Marydoll's post o this thread. I too hope all is well.

annsixty Sun 22-Nov-20 11:58:02

I have used that 4 hour slot from Sainsbury’s for the last two weeks.
Such good value at £1 but I can get one much easier than a 1 hour slot.
Win, win.
Plenty of notice too as to when the delivery will be.

Grandmabatty Sun 22-Nov-20 11:51:15

I'm popping back as there's no post from Marydoll. Its worrying. I hope she's alright.

Daddima Sun 22-Nov-20 11:27:19

Good morning all from a kind of ‘getting better’ East Dunbarton.
My excitement today is a visit from Mr Sainsbury. I see they’ve introduced a four hour slot for just £1, and they’ve just emailed me a one hour slot. Online Mass at twelve, then some cooking, and finishing a water change of the Bodach’s goldfish ( which are now the size of salmon!) I don’t remember him cleaning them out so often, as the filter kept the water clean, but, hey ho, it keeps me occupied.
Grandmattie I love your idea of Paris. We went there for every big birthday or anniversary, and I really want to go back.
I bought tickets for the Louvre (and other things) from Hello Paris website. We could then ‘ jump the queue’, and when we came out I passed the tickets to a young couple at the back of the queue.
The sun’s shining properly now, so I think I’ll venture out to stretch my legs . Happy Sunday all.

Mapleleaf Sun 22-Nov-20 11:22:11

That should say “they seem to have grown extra tubers”.

Mapleleaf Sun 22-Nov-20 11:21:16

Morning all from a bright but chilly South Yorkshire.

I managed to get a few gardening jobs done yesterday, moving the more delicate plants to shelter and digging the dahlia tubers out of their pots to be stored over winter in the garage. They all seem to have grown e tea tubers during the summer so will need to go in bigger pots next year.

Today is stir up Sunday, so I’ll be making the Christmas pudding shortly. I’m debating whether to stay with Delia or try a different recipe this year (although they don’t seem to differ too much, though some use butter rather than suet, and I’ve always used suet). Decisions, decisions ?

Keep safe, everyone.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 22-Nov-20 10:59:28

Good Morning all from Sunny Harrogate.
Just had word from my school friend in Alloway (Ayr) Children set fire to their bins, which in turn set fire to their garage, which was fortunately brick, and a lot of their garden is a mess. She was very proud of her garden. Cant these kids find something more constructive to do?
Today I shall, at some point, join my online church service. Our church has a problem in as much as the minister is retiring in January. How on earth will we find a new minister in these circumstances??
Anyway going to make some pastry ready for my mince pies. Busy day ahead, hanging out the washing, taking the dog for a walk, cooking, busy busy.

Please keep safe everyone, hopefully we will soon be vaccinated and free!!

CherryCezzy Sun 22-Nov-20 10:49:18

Happy birthday to your DGS GrannyOwl ?

annsixty Sun 22-Nov-20 10:47:15

Good morning all from a brightening Stockport.
I had another bad night resulting in not wakening up until almost 10, consequently I am only just getting going.

I was having a lovely dream about my H, I dream about him all the time but this one was really special, I am never upset by them.

I spoke on the phone to the Consultant who did my hip op yesterday morning.
He is pleased by my progress, said I am doing the right things and has arranged for a face to face in two months if that is permitted by then.

Have the best day you can everyone.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Nov-20 10:45:19

Good Morning All x.
Still, and trying its best to brighten up in parts aside from a couple of menacing looking clouds but again not too cold. We're doing well weatherwise up to now as years ago I can remember some pea-soupers of fog in November with its dark days.

I'm just looking at lots of little finches ( they've replaced sparrows here ) all lined up on the branches of a bare-leafed tree. Impossible to count them. Quite the nature reserve with squirrels and foxes.

I feel so sorry for your neighbour Urmston----" going to sleep and waking in the UK ", bless her, she needs to return. See how it goes, then let her family know. It's worrying. You're a good soul. x

Watched a good film last night with Liam Neeson--Under Suspicion " which finished quite late so I slept in a bit this morning, worth it though.
Upstairs Downstairs starts next Sunday on Talking Pictures channel so I must mark that down.

Baubles, I remember having those " wobbles " 3 years ago and unknown to myself I'd had a TIA which was evident by a CT scan, so I know what vertigo is like as it lasted 6 months. I was okay apart from " feeling drunk " grin and nearly walking into things. Hope things improve for you x

Chicken cooked yesterday so not much in the way of preparation for todays dinner.

GrandMattie, you'll enjoy Paris ( I did ) and if you take the topless tour bus it'll take you all around the sights which is a delight. I just love France overall having been to a few of its places over the years. Get as much done as you can.

I might make a Christmas bunloaf next week instead of a full cake, same but less ingredients, to give that festive flavour. It'll slice nicely too. I could eat a chunk now thinking about it.

Hope all are keeping well and that the day also goes well for all of you. Thoughts to Marydoll that she had a better night and thinking of Gilly and how she's coping xx

Stay safe everyone.

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 10:28:28

Good morning all, pleased to hear lockdown is ending though we still won’t be going very far. I guess it’s psychological knowing we have the choice.