Gransnet forums

Chat

Similar usernames

(47 Posts)
Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 16:15:46

I notice there is now someone (new I believe) whose username is almost identical to mine, just the last two letters missing hmm.

So just a heads up to everyone - I am still here, I am not she, and I hope we will not be confused wink

Bellanonna Sun 22-Nov-20 16:26:46

How confusing, Bathsheba. I’m glad you’re still around, and I do see you from time to time, but I’m surprised the system didn’t highlight the fact that there was another very similar name to the one the new applicant was choosing. If she (and Bathsheba was female) sees this maybe she should request a different user name.

Jane10 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:32:28

I was fed up when a poster calling herself LadyJane10 appeared like a posh version of me (As if an ever posher version is possible!) There was a brief hoohaa and she disappeared or changed her name.

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 16:33:49

I've noticed that user too.
There was a Chewbecca (sic) for a while, but I know that she came over from MN in good faith.

Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 16:50:19

Yes it is irritating really isn't it? I do wish the system would send an alert at the registration stage. I must say I find it a little odd that anyone would opt for Bathshe, though. It is so obviously 2 letters short of the name Bathsheba, that I can't help thinking that's what they wanted and changed it when it wasn't available. Perhaps I should change mine to BathshebaThe1st wink

Calendargirl Sun 22-Nov-20 16:56:11

There’s another calendar with something else at the end.
It’s just when I post, sometimes others reply to ‘calendar’, and I just hope they don’t mix us up.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Nov-20 17:43:48

It seems odd that such a similar, but unusual, name has been allowed. I’ve got used to there being so many Maggies of one form or another on here, but that’s only to be expected if you use a fairly common given name as the basis of your username. Perhaps I should have put more thought into it. smile

BlueSky Sun 22-Nov-20 17:47:30

I’ve recently seen a ‘SkyBlue’ hmm

Doodledog Sun 22-Nov-20 17:50:14

When I registered, I tried a few names that I use on other sites, but they wee taken (it is odd to see posts from one of them, as I use it a lot, and think it is me grin). Anyway, when I got to Doodledog and it was accepted, I happily registered, but didn't realise that there was a Doodle, and a Doodlebug, and possibly other members of the Doodle clan already on here.

I have been called by their names more than once, and would understand if they were irritated both by that and by the fact that I have used a name similar to theirs, but there is not a lot I can do about it now.

To be honest, when I registered, I don't think I knew about the forums - I registered to enter a competition, I think. Maybe it should be made more obvious when people sign up. If I'd known what I was doing I would have lurked for a while to get a feel for things before getting a username.

Susan56 Sun 22-Nov-20 17:57:59

I have noticed a Susan60.I had originally tried to register with a more imaginative moniker but somehow appeared as Susan56?

Chewbacca Sun 22-Nov-20 18:06:51

I noticed the Bathshe posts earlier today and wondered if it was you Bathsheba. It's very confusing when the names are so very similar, especially if they're used on some of the more contentious threads where opinions can be very divided. Can GNGQ not help in getting the new person to change to something less similar? The user name that was so similar to mine was so alike that I thought I'd posted something and forgotten!

Riverwalk Sun 22-Nov-20 18:11:45

Susan56

I have noticed a Susan60.I had originally tried to register with a more imaginative moniker but somehow appeared as Susan56?

To be fair, Susan is the most common name of anyone born in the 1950s!

Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 19:02:00

Chewbacca

I noticed the Bathshe posts earlier today and wondered if it was you Bathsheba. It's very confusing when the names are so very similar, especially if they're used on some of the more contentious threads where opinions can be very divided. Can GNGQ not help in getting the new person to change to something less similar? The user name that was so similar to mine was so alike that I thought I'd posted something and forgotten!

I didn't even notice the other one like yours - or maybe I saw it and just thought it was you! It was crazily like your name after all.

And yes it is confusing, especially when you consider that people have a tendency to abbreviate names, so I'm often called Bath, which has been absolutely fine.... up until now, when the other member is likely to get her name shortened to Bath as well. I do hope she sees this thread and thinks about asking GNHQ to change her username.

sodapop Sun 22-Nov-20 19:04:26

I thought it was you at first as well Bathsheba wonder how that escaped the eagle eye of
HQ smile

Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 19:11:27

Someone queried a thread posted by MawBe the other day, asking if MawB, MawB2 and MawBe were one and the same? Yes, turns out they are - Maw had left the site for a few days and had to have a different name on her return, but said she kept it very similar so we'd know it was her.

Well, this got me thinking how easy it would be for someone to do this deliberately in order to cause mischief - in fact before Maw explained, I had been wondering if this was in fact the case. Glad to see it wasn't!

JackyB Sun 22-Nov-20 19:15:58

I have also noticed someone of late who has taken on a very similar user name to mine.

I suupose it's like birthdays - if you put enough people together, two of them (at least!) will have the same one.

Susan56 Sun 22-Nov-20 20:02:07

Riverwalk,my mother called me Susan as it was so unusual.When I got to school there were five Susan’s in my class?

BlueBelle Sun 22-Nov-20 20:31:49

There was a Bluebell with a number and I asked her if one of us should change as it was confusing... as she’d only just joined she said she didn’t mind and did
There is also Bluebellwouldand that’s fine but some posters do call her Bluebelle for short which then can get confusing
I ve often wondered if I should change but even an obscure name can get a similar one as we see in this thread so just plod on

grannyrebel7 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:01:02

Bathsheba from my fave book Far From the Madding Crowd. Lovely name!

Greenfinch Sun 22-Nov-20 21:08:13

Please don't change your name BlueBelle. Apart from it being a lovely name I always enjoy your posts and wouldn't know how to find you again ( unless of course you informed us ).

Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 21:13:28

grannyrebel7

Bathsheba from my fave book Far From the Madding Crowd. Lovely name!

Yes that was the reason for my choice of username - I love that book too!

lemongrove Sun 22-Nov-20 21:14:56

There are at least three Lemon somethings on GN but they are still different names.
It’s hard to choose a username that isn’t already taken.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Nov-20 21:18:13

Thank you greenfinch I won’t I d get too muddled up myself and be answering myself ?

BlueSky Sun 22-Nov-20 21:39:23

I’m Alexa on another site, when I see our Alexa on here I think it’s me! I would like to change my name to Bohemian but we already have a similar name on here, Boheminan, so won’t. confused

Tangerine Sun 22-Nov-20 21:45:26

I am surprised that similar names don't get picked up at registration stage as, before I chose Tangerine, I chose another fruit and it was not permitted as there was already someone of that name.

Perhaps it has to be identical before the computer notices.