Gransnet forums

Chat

Similar usernames

(48 Posts)
Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 16:15:46

I notice there is now someone (new I believe) whose username is almost identical to mine, just the last two letters missing hmm.

So just a heads up to everyone - I am still here, I am not she, and I hope we will not be confused wink

Auntieflo Sun 22-Nov-20 21:47:26

So glad that this has been aired, as I thought Bathsheba had changed her name.

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 21:52:15

There's a poster with two names called Ellie Anne, so yes there has been confusion.

Doodle Sun 22-Nov-20 21:59:36

Doodledog I think I am the original Doodle. I’ve been here for a while. I did notice when you joined. I’m not sure I’ve come across Doodlebug.
I have been chastised once ( lightheartedly) by someone who just put Doodle as a shortened form of your name but I don’t mind. We are family after all ?
lemon no one could could mistake you for a lemon of another name. You are toooooo notorious grin

Doodledog Sun 22-Nov-20 22:06:52

Sorry Doodle! I'm pleased you don't mind, but I didn't mean to do it. I hope I don't get you into trouble again grin

NotTooOld Sun 22-Nov-20 22:46:05

I think there are another couple of Nots now. Hello, Nots! When I joined I tried several names before the computer would accept me.

Doodle Sun 22-Nov-20 23:02:30

No problem Doodledog. If I get into trouble I might just pretend I’m you grin

Calendargirl Mon 23-Nov-20 07:39:02

I don’t want to change my name, but if I did, I know what I would choose.

Don’t think there is another one.

Onthenaughtystep1 Mon 23-Nov-20 07:51:07

I have been trying to get back to my original user name without success. Can someone tell me if this is impossible?
My mailbox must have lots of PMs and I feel awful about not being able to respond.

1placidsue Mon 23-Nov-20 08:26:46

Susan56 it was the same for me , school , work , always more than one of us. I actually changed my name to sue some years ago and I now delight in correcting people who try to call me Susan. ( I know, little pleasures ?‍♀️) ?

Marelli Mon 23-Nov-20 08:40:46

I have been Marelli for quite a few years and we now have a Marilla.
I rarely post, but if I do, I think I’d better mention that I’m not Marilla! Don’t want to be changing my name after all these years.

yggdrasil Mon 23-Nov-20 08:43:39

Susan56

Riverwalk,my mother called me Susan as it was so unusual.When I got to school there were five Susan’s in my class?

Susan I'll bet I can guess your age from that post :-)
I'm not a Susan, but there were three in my class alone

kittylester Mon 23-Nov-20 09:05:21

Marelli

I have been Marelli for quite a few years and we now have a Marilla.
I rarely post, but if I do, I think I’d better mention that I’m not Marilla! Don’t want to be changing my name after all these years.

I always look twice at that Marelli.

I think I was the only version of kitty for years but I see a few more around now. It always gives me a little shock!

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Nov-20 10:57:38

Hi everyone,

Just to address a few points, our registration system doesn't allow duplicate usernames (for obvious reasons!), but similar usernames can be used. We understand the confusion this can cause, and if you are ever concerned about another user being mistaken for you, please do email us at [email protected], and we'll see what we can do.

Please do bear in mind though, that as the site grows, similar usernames might be more common, but no-one will ever have your exact username, which is unique to your account.

Users who are registering won't necessarily know what usernames are already in use on the site, so please do show understanding and kindness to new users, and bear this in mind. It could be a little daunting and off-putting to join the site, and find a thread like this discussing their name. flowers

Bathsheba Mon 23-Nov-20 12:49:14

Point taken Natasha. Nevertheless I still think it would be very helpful if the registration process flashed up any existing names that are similar to, and therefore could be confused with, the one a new member is choosing. Not to prevent them from still going ahead with their choice, but to make them aware so that they can avoid inadvertently choosing an almost identical name - for their own sake as well as the existing member's.

Elegran Mon 23-Nov-20 13:05:33

Yes, Similar names can cause many problems. Warning the person trying to join that there is already someone whose name differs from their choice in one letter could make them change it.

Somone joined as Elliegran, but vanished after I mentioned it to GNHQ. They must have changed it, but I don't know what to (Was it you, Elliane ?)

lemongrove Mon 23-Nov-20 13:14:55

Doodle notorious? Moi? You mean posters actually read the
Argy Bargy Bar thread???

Doodle Mon 23-Nov-20 13:55:12

I think many read lemon but only the brave or foolish enter.
(Having said that, all are welcome to join us ?)

greenmossgiel Mon 23-Nov-20 14:16:24

I am once again greenmossgiel. Anyone who knows me from before will recognise me. ☺️

Ellianne Mon 23-Nov-20 14:59:35

Elegran

Yes, Similar names can cause many problems. Warning the person trying to join that there is already someone whose name differs from their choice in one letter could make them change it.

Somone joined as Elliegran, but vanished after I mentioned it to GNHQ. They must have changed it, but I don't know what to (Was it you, Elliane ?)

No, not me Elegran.

Reading Natasha's comment I checked back and the other Ellie Anne was here before me, though I had no idea. I don't see her on GN much, but if she would like me to change I am more than happy to oblige.

Elegran Mon 23-Nov-20 15:06:40

Don't confuse me, Greenmossgiel ! One of you is bad enough.

kittylester Mon 23-Nov-20 15:06:47

greenmossgiel

I am once again greenmossgiel. Anyone who knows me from before will recognise me. ☺️

Hi greenmossgiel are you out to confuse me even more?? Not that it takes much!!

Elegran Mon 23-Nov-20 15:10:19

confused grin confused grin Two confused people, both grinning, Kitty