Gransnet forums

Chat

You should make an effort...

(176 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 25-Nov-20 14:08:29

It's soapbox time. I don't wear makeup very often. It's not that I have anything against it and it's something I always wear if I'm going somewhere where I need a confidence boost/mask to hide behind. The rest of the time I don't bother. I'm clean and tidy with brushed hair but no makeup. Today I was told that I would look nice if I put on made an effort by putting on some makeup. Why????? Will make up make me a better person? Will I miraculously stop being ill? What purpose would it serve?

Rant over.

Baggs Wed 25-Nov-20 16:09:57

That person needs, perhaps, to be told to make an effort to mind her own business, vamp.

geekesse Wed 25-Nov-20 16:11:43

I haven’t worn make-up of any kind since I was a teenager. When someone made a similar remark to me a couple of years ago, I replied tartly that I’m confident enough to face the world with my own skin showing.

rockgran Wed 25-Nov-20 16:37:23

I used to put lipstick on to go to the shops but there is little point when wearing a mask! I always wear earrings though.

Lucca Wed 25-Nov-20 16:39:27

I’m with bluebelle on this I always shower, always put some eye make up and lipstick on.but it is personal choice.

M0nica Wed 25-Nov-20 16:40:17

Whoever said it, is talking out of the back of their head.
Ignore them

You will look at your best in whatever you feel comfortable with.

Kalu Wed 25-Nov-20 16:43:40

Definitely stealing option 2 Phoenix.

Wearing make up is a personal choice and should be of no concern to others, whatever choice one decides. Bloody rude whoever thought this suggestion was acceptable vampirequeen.

ayse Wed 25-Nov-20 16:44:14

I love wearing a small amount of face paint when going out to eat or the theatre. It makes me feel dressed.

Apart from that I rarely wear any.

It’s your choice. I was always told it’s rude to comment on someone else’s appearance!

Greyduster Wed 25-Nov-20 16:45:21

I’m another who hasn’t worn make up for years, except for a bit of ancient lipstick now and then. I think I would have been inclined to tell your critic to wind her neck in, in no uncertain terms, VQ. DH says I have very nice skin for “someone of my age”!!!!hmm

Lexisgranny Wed 25-Nov-20 16:48:48

sodapop your comments reminded me of an article I read in a women’s magazine over 50 years ago. It suggested you should put an alarm clock under your pillow to wake up before your husband. This would enable you to set your hair in rollers before your bath, so that it could dry off whilst preparing a delicious breakfast for your husband. This would allow you time to put on your makeup and comb out your hair before your husband rose from his slumbers. No doubt breakfast was to be served with a bright smile on your face and a pretty apron tied round your tiny waist.

Nowadays I rarely wear make up. I do use an eyebrow pencil on my very pale brows, so that they show above the mask, but no lipstick. I would be a sad disappointment to the writer of that article!

LauraNorder Wed 25-Nov-20 16:54:57

I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong, I like that Harrigran.
Vampirequeen ignore the over made-up pantomime dames, and go natural or just a smidgeon of lippy, or very light eye make-up, whatever suits you best.
Personally I feel I look best with no make-up these days but look positively naked without my glasses.

LauraNorder Wed 25-Nov-20 16:59:48

Lexisgranny. Didn't we all do that?

Lexisgranny Wed 25-Nov-20 17:09:57

LauraNorder of course, I followed it to the last letter, sadly my standards slipped a tad over the years, it went downhill when I lost my pretty apron.

LauraNorder Wed 25-Nov-20 17:30:45

Oh dear Lexigranny so you were unable to unpick the apron and make a pretty cushion for your darling husband's fireside chair.

bluebirdwsm Wed 25-Nov-20 17:41:32

I've never worn make up apart from some kohl eyeliner and mascara when I was younger. I don't like the idea of blocking up pores all day for a start. I have face God gave me and happy with that. I like others to look natural too, and wary of those with loads of badly chosen make up on.

Subtle make up on certain people can look lovely. But I have often been amazed and sometimes shocked to see what people without their make up on...they are masking what they truly look like all day and so what others see is not who they really are.

Iam64 Wed 25-Nov-20 18:05:57

vampire, that's plain rude and very unpleasant. How very dare she make a comment like that.
I wore eye make up in my teen, all that black kohl along with skin tight Levis and long straight hair. That' s over 50 years ago, it was fun then I discovered feminism and liberation. No more make up since then.
Someone I was at university with when I was 30 told me I could look much better if I made an effort. She meant grow my short spiky hair and wear make up. I didn't do either. Neither did I tell her not to be so bliddy rude
Don't let it get to you vampire, silly woman.

Lexisgranny Wed 25-Nov-20 18:11:31

LauraNorder. I lost it at dawn in the woods when I tripped out to pick fresh mushrooms for his breakfast.

welbeck Wed 25-Nov-20 18:12:39

you could say, thank you but i always follow my mother's advice; she said only a brazen hussey has a painted face.
and then smile sweetly, and pointedly, at her, as you wave goodbye.

LauraNorder Wed 25-Nov-20 19:01:01

Lexisgranny grin

BlueBelle Wed 25-Nov-20 19:08:56

My 94 year old cousin had her eyebrows tattood last year ?

Madgran77 Wed 25-Nov-20 20:13:35

What was the context in which that was said vampirequeen? It seems such an odd and rude thing to say as a straight statement, with no relevant context

grandma60 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:02:33

I had a friend who repeatedly told me that I should be like her, dye my brown hair blonde and wear pale pink lipstick. Apparantly my husband would have been much happier.
She is no longer a friend.

OceanMama Wed 25-Nov-20 22:11:56

My husband prefers me without make up. Personally, I don't bother and haven't for years. It's annoying to have to take it off again at a time of day when I'm tired.

Hetty58 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:12:21

vampirequeen, an older woman at work made a similar comment once, followed by 'You just don't make the most of yourself!'

When she walked away, a male colleague said 'She's just jealous you know. You're a natural beauty - but she puts on her clown's make up with trowel!'

I've never forgotten that!

Callistemon Wed 25-Nov-20 22:15:45

She meant grow my short spiky hair and wear make up
My short spiky hair has grown in lockdown but I don't wear makeup.

mamaa Wed 25-Nov-20 22:20:33

I would only ever not wear mascara/blusher/lippy when abroad on holiday- always said mascara would be my luxury item if ever on Desert Island Discs. Then I retired and only ever wore such make-up when on holiday/ or out-out. Then came lockdown1.0 - didn’t go anywhere or see anyone so didn’t wear any. Realised it wasn’t necessary-did used to hide behind it I think but now know don’t ‘need’ to wear it but can choose to if I want to- quite a gamechanger.