Gransnet forums

Chat

You should make an effort...

(176 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 25-Nov-20 14:08:29

It's soapbox time. I don't wear makeup very often. It's not that I have anything against it and it's something I always wear if I'm going somewhere where I need a confidence boost/mask to hide behind. The rest of the time I don't bother. I'm clean and tidy with brushed hair but no makeup. Today I was told that I would look nice if I put on made an effort by putting on some makeup. Why????? Will make up make me a better person? Will I miraculously stop being ill? What purpose would it serve?

Rant over.

Cambia Thu 26-Nov-20 18:14:53

How rude! Everybody should choose to wear make up or not, their personal choice. I bet you look lovely without it and she is just jealous!

It wasn’t my mum that said it was it? She spends hours looking in the mirror and never leaves the house without at least five lipsticks!

Alioop Thu 26-Nov-20 18:29:49

What a cheeky thing to say. I wear makeup every day, now it's a 5 minute job so not a lot. I was bitten on the face, when I was a child, by a dog and had to get stitches. I am paranoid about the marks on my face and all my friends say you can't notice them, but I can and if a little foundation makes me feel better then I'll wear it, but I can't bet your skin's a lot healthier looking than mine not wearing it daily. Don't listen to people like that, it's your life to do as you wish.

Whingingmom Thu 26-Nov-20 18:34:32

Very rude!!
And sexist to boot -.men don’t use make up and no one complains!
Show the world what a naturally beautiful woman looks like, vampirequeen (well as much as you can reveal from behind your mask!)

rosecarmel Thu 26-Nov-20 18:40:51

Zero makeup here-

claresc0tt Thu 26-Nov-20 19:44:48

Me too! Hardly ever wear any and nothing has changed

claresc0tt Thu 26-Nov-20 19:47:36

Poor woman!?

DillytheGardener Thu 26-Nov-20 19:52:45

How rude! I rarely go out without my face on (Avon rep and was a hairdresser/beautician in my twenties) but I wouldn’t expect other people to do the same. Personal choice. My Mil once made the opposite barb “You must have a lot of time on your hands to look like a ‘dolly bird’ ) ?

DobbleBobble Thu 26-Nov-20 21:35:10

My first reaction, confirmed by your update is that this is about her, not you. She feels better with make up on and is just sharing this with you as a tip. I doubt she intended to be rude.

SaraC Thu 26-Nov-20 21:49:13

Had my eyebrows tattooed after they disappeared and a thin eyeliner tattoo too. It’s great - just ‘wash and go’ in the mornings...

moggie57 Thu 26-Nov-20 22:14:32

Tell them you don't have to hide behind a false face

TwinLolly Thu 26-Nov-20 22:43:34

Vampirequeen, poor you. That was nasty!

I'm not a painted doll and never will be. I prefer the natural look. My DH loves me that way too. He sees the real me. Before I went out on our first date I decided that I would only put on a wee bit of lipstick but nothing else. If he wanted to continue seeing me after that, he would be a keeper. I accepted me freckles and all. Whew!

Stay true to yourself. You are beautiful. thankssmile

f77ms Fri 27-Nov-20 08:46:27

I do wear make up because it makes ME feel better. I am so pale without. Its completely up to you. I must say though that when my Mum was alive i used to encourage her to wear lipstick because it took 10 years years off her.

Granless Fri 27-Nov-20 09:06:17

Why bother ... we’re hiding our faces behind masks anyway. confused

lemsip Fri 27-Nov-20 09:40:32

only hiding half our faces! I must do eyebrows or I look anonymous.....lol

Hetty58 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:00:45

Cambia, my mother was just the same (always checking in the mirror.).

When my little brother flew off his soapbox (on the steep hill we lived on) he lost the skin on both knees.

I ran the short distance home to get Mum - who very slowly put on her lipstick, as always, by the hallway mirror, before coming out.

I remember my utter desperation as I ran back to him. She could hear him screaming - yet vanity prevented any public appearance 'unfinished'!

Jang Fri 27-Nov-20 10:19:25

Had very bad acne as a teenager and found any face creams/ makeup made it worse so never used them! Was and am a bit allergic to some eye makeup so didn't wear that either for years... have a friend who plasters makeup on and she looks awful with the colour she uses and at her age but wouldn't dream of making such a comment....Do now wear a little eye shadow and of course lippy when no mask involved!

Callistemon Fri 27-Nov-20 10:34:23

Granless

Why bother ... we’re hiding our faces behind masks anyway. confused

We're saving on lipstick anyway!

hollysteers Fri 27-Nov-20 11:01:19

I just love my make up and it’s a sign of the Covid times that I’m not bothering as all social groups are down the pan. I think Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Collins have said they enjoy the actual ritual of making up, it can be quite relaxing. I’m quite arty farty, draw and paint, so it’s almost an extension of that.
I sometimes feel sorry for men as they don’t use it (although some do!) and if a man has noticeably dyed hair he’s castigated, unlike women.
Bitchy remarks often spring out of jealousy I now realise after all this time.
Advice to a young man who likes a natural look “On the first date, take her swimming” ?

hollysteers Fri 27-Nov-20 12:57:20

Also. if we literally left everything to “as God made me” the world would be in a right mess, health wise etc etc

Galaxy Fri 27-Nov-20 12:59:52

Not wearing lipstick isnt really the same as not utilising modern medicine. The world will not be affected if some women choose not to wear makeup.

annodomini Fri 27-Nov-20 13:29:05

I used to wear eye shadow and liner but gave up because of the difficulty of applying them with or without my glasses. I use foundation and a small amount of blusher because I'm naturally pallid. Lipstick is a lost cause as I simply can't keep it on.

FarNorth Fri 27-Nov-20 14:22:45

hollysteers

Also. if we literally left everything to “as God made me” the world would be in a right mess, health wise etc etc

grin
I don't think anyone has said we should do that, in every situation.

Maddy68 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:49:48

I only wore make up when I had to. I don't care for it. Wear it if you like it, or not. Who cares? This world is far too appearance oriented!

Shropshirelass Sat 28-Nov-20 08:57:05

Very rude. It is up to you what you do and are comfortable with. You don’t need to hide behind artificial effects. Good for you to be comfortable in your own skin without make up. When you see a lot of the young girls and women out and about today they look like pantomime dames their make up is so thick and false. They must be very insecure with their natural looks.

Georgesgran Sat 28-Nov-20 11:39:39

Have just put my ‘face’ on for the day. Have always worn make up and I’ve got it down to a fine art - takes a couple of minutes and makes me feel better! Pared down to tinted moisturizer, mascara and lipgloss for days at home with eye shadow and liner when I’m (ever allowed to go) out and about.