Gransnet forums

Chat

secret santa gifts for someone you dont know that well

(33 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 30-Nov-20 13:49:06

My DD has to buy for work collegue who she doesn't really know that well. A lady in her fifties, my daughter in her 30's so she doesn't have a clue what to buy. I have suggested some things but wonder if any one could come up with a better idea. The budget is 10.00.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Dec-20 17:35:28

My husband once gifted a pineapple corer and a pineapple. That seemed like a nice idea! It was certainly unusual.

mrswoo Fri 04-Dec-20 18:03:18

One year I didn’t get a secret Santa gift - but a colleague with the same name as mine got two. So obviously there had been a bit of a mix up. To be fair, the person with the two gifts said I could have one of hers ..... as it was a toss up between choosing a hideous woolly hat with a cockerel’s beak and comb or an edible thong I declined her kind offer ?

What I would have loved would be some nice soap, especially the type which are wrapped in beautiful paper, a journal of some description ( all that lovely blank paper!) or a M&S voucher which can be used for one of their eat in for two offers. Hope that helps.

travelsafar Thu 10-Dec-20 09:30:38

In the end my daughter bought a lovely candle holder with a battery operated tealight inside. an Amaryllis Bulb inside a Gold Pot holder, two pairs of snuggly bedsocks and a very small pack of truffles in the shape of a christmas cracker. All wrapped and put inside a Xmas bag and labelled as follows.

'Something to light the dark winter's nights.
Something to Nuture until Spring,
Something to keep your feet warm at night
And Something just because it is Christmas. '

It all came in just over 11.00 so she is happy. I just hope the lady who receives it appreciates the thought put into this gift.

Calendargirl Thu 10-Dec-20 09:37:41

Sounds lovely Travelsfar.

MiniMoon Thu 10-Dec-20 09:53:10

I once had to buy a secret santa gift for a colleague at work who I didn't know very well. I did know that she had two black labs, and she lived in the country.
I bought a heavy metal doorstop in the shape of a cockerel. She loved it and went to the trouble of finding who had picked her name from the hat, so that she could thank me.
That, of course, is irrelevant now, but I thought I'd add to the thread as I have just seen it.

Laughterlines Thu 10-Dec-20 10:01:19

Nice chocolates, sweeties or biscuits that can easily be regifted or shared round the office after Christmas.

Puzzler61 Thu 10-Dec-20 19:36:39

I’m sure it will be appreciated travelsafar. It’s a very thoughtful selection and note in the bag - and she got a lot for her money.