Gransnet forums

Chat

Husband's healthy diet...not!

(64 Posts)
Nadateturbe Mon 30-Nov-20 16:40:29

My husband passed me the shopping list to double check before we place the order.
His sweet treats for the week as follows:

Lemon drizzle cake
9 snack size Snickers (will only eat 7 )
6 mince pies
Tub of vanilla ice cream
12 bottles of Peroni beer

I might have a small slice of cake. The rest is his. How could anyone consume all that as well as their three meals?

Loislovesstewie Wed 02-Dec-20 10:57:24

My DH had type 2 diabetes, and he did do the low-carb high fat diet, the result is he lost weight and is no longer diabetic. I know it is difficult but it's a choice between getting in control or the slide into uncontrolled high blood sugars which will end in having to inject insulin. Put like that he knew what he had to do. We have an adult child with type 1, and he didn't want to end up injecting.

Bbbface Wed 02-Dec-20 11:03:03

GrannyHaggis

If that lasts him a week, then I don't see what's wrong with it. If he's getting through it in a day, then he does have a problem.

You can’t see a problem?

Every single day with no exception he would be eating
A slice of lemon drizzle cake
A mince day (except one day)
A snack size snickers
A large scoop of ice cream
5/7 days he would have two bottle of beer and 2/7 one bottle beer

Every. Single. Day
And this is just his “treats”.

Suzey Wed 02-Dec-20 11:10:13

Add white cider white wine and ready meals loads of cakes and sweets that's my husbands diet we never eat together I don't drink and eat healthy but who cares its up to him how he treats his body

NanaPlenty Wed 02-Dec-20 11:14:06

There’s a huge change in opinion on what’s bad for us - sugar now appears to be the baddie rather than fat so addictive it’s very hard to stop eating it and it’s in nearly everything! What with that and worrying about Corona! We could spend our lives worrying - everything in moderation ?

Cycorax Wed 02-Dec-20 11:16:20

Fine for people to overload their bodies with sugar, but the cost falls on the NHS who has to treat them.

GreyKnitter Wed 02-Dec-20 11:22:06

My husband has been a type 1 diabetic for many years, has problems with his feet, eyes had quadruple heart bypass surgery and is still overweight! His diabetes is reasonably well controlled. He often refers to being fat etc. I was a bit overweight and through hard work have managed to loose a stone through sensible eating over the last couple of months. Meanwhile he keeps snacking on cheese biscuits, penguins etc. I’ve decided that it’s his choice - I can’t control what he eats.

Mollygo Wed 02-Dec-20 11:23:59

Two family members with type 2 diabetes: one told eating bananas in moderation is OK, the other not. Both have food suggestion sheets which include hot cross buns! Both have lists of acceptable vegetables. Both told to avoid high sugar foods, one told to avoid sweeteners as well.
One told to avoid high fat content because of other health issues, one told to avoid potatoes, bread, pasta and rice.
I was good at courgette-pasta and cauliflower rice before lockdown. Must brush up my skills.

Dylant1234 Wed 02-Dec-20 11:25:41

Marg75. Will he expect you to look after him if he loses his sight or has a leg amputated from diabetes?!?

Juicylucy Wed 02-Dec-20 11:29:12

I’d say be careful what you wish for, I’d never dream of stopping my Partner there treats. His life, his health. Least he’s not propping a bar up somewhere.

honeyrose Wed 02-Dec-20 11:33:02

My DH is 67, a diet controlled diabetic, has high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a slight kidney problem. A recipe for disaster, you could say. He’s on medication for the last 3 ailments to keep things in check. No diabetes check since before COVID, which concerns me. He doesn’t know the meaning of a healthy diet, no matter how much I tell him, although the meals I serve up are in the main healthy. But he does like to snack - a pleasure in life you could say. He’s also slightly overweight with a large tummy. As I’m typing this, I’m feeling more and more angry! He has free will, of course, and I’ve desperately tried to get him round to my way of thinking, but to no avail. If I sound like a nag, i’m sorry, but I’m concerned about his health now and into the future. I don’t want him to become ill, to risk stroke, heart attacks, major kidney problems and be more at risk of COVID. I would say he has a balanced diet though, so that’s better than nothing and he does have a walk every day and does some DIY and gardening. I dread to think of what he would live on if I weren’t around. I’m getting maudlin now so I’m signing off. Very best wishes to your DH, M0nica.

4allweknow Wed 02-Dec-20 11:40:25

Over the course of 7 days and if his diet meal wise isn't loaded with carbohydrate I don't think it's horrendous. You haven't given the size of cake, bottle of beer, tub of ice cream so won't be too quick to judge.

suttonJ Wed 02-Dec-20 11:48:16

I could never get my son, around 10 years of age, to eat a single vegetable or piece of fruit.....even while the class was doing a project on healthy eating. Then came a bout of flu, which floored the entire class, except one. As he smugly told me, ‘It’s my healthy diet, mum’.
PS. At age 40, he is currently vegan!

Gma29 Wed 02-Dec-20 11:51:32

I don’t think it’s awful either, (but I have a sweet tooth too!) I’d be really annoyed if my husband deleted what I want to eat from the weekly shop. I don’t want a diet that has no treats, how joyless is that?

If the rest of his diet is also “policed” by you, and he doesn’t sit on a sofa all day, why not let him eat what he enjoys?

Buttonjugs Wed 02-Dec-20 12:56:47

@Suttonj My 29 year old youngest son eats no fruit or vegetables at all and he never catches anything!

Bilboben Wed 02-Dec-20 13:15:21

Add three bottles of Scotch whiskey and it appears quite adequate.

Nannytopsy Wed 02-Dec-20 14:15:55

This is a depressingly judgemental thread!

Caro57 Wed 02-Dec-20 14:17:04

Our husband could be a bigamist grin grin

Oldtimer60 Wed 02-Dec-20 14:41:10

Many wives and female partners obviously engage in poor diets also, just look around when walking in any town centre. Food has never been more readily available or plentiful than in the last thirty years and we the British have, like so many nations, taken advantage of that to the detriment of many peoples health.

Perhaps if much of Britains food is stuck in the back of lorries in January waiting for days on end to cross the channel we shall all be on forced diets and the health outlook for many will improve. ??

netflixfan Wed 02-Dec-20 14:46:17

Sounds absolutely fine to me if it’s for a week. Give him a break it’s the flipping pandemic!!

ExD Wed 02-Dec-20 14:52:46

I feel ashamed when I look at the size of my obese husband. He buys himself whatever be fancies and stuffs his face from morn to night. I cannot stop him.
We eat reasonably healthy meals, I am a size 10 - 12 and feel embarrassed by what I imagine people are saying about him. What can I do?
Like the OP's DH I have tried and better tried, now I have given up, if be's determined to kill himself I'm not going to spoil the few years we have left by nagging.

Phloembundle Wed 02-Dec-20 15:26:12

Another 'fad' I hope dies out soon is this business of accusing others of being judgemental as soon as they express an opinion about anything. Shut up. It's so tedious.

LauraNorder Wed 02-Dec-20 15:34:45

Other way around in our home, I have a sweet tooth, a savoury tooth and any other food tooth. I also have no will power, Orlin does the cooking and tries hard to be my will power.
I switched on Escape to the Country, then realised I’d been reading this thread and not seen one house. Finally an addiction that isn’t fattening, yey.

Pudding123 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:37:42

My friends husband would never eat white bread,always wholemeal, ate fish 3 times a week ,went to the gym regularly had a heart attack 2 years ago and died at 65...she was and still is heartbroken and said all his life he was sensible and she wished he had lived a bit more as he would rarely allow himself chocolate never had biscuits in the house and had never smoked....everything in moderation is my moto.

cassandra264 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:46:25

Prior to lockdown in March, I got a book out of the library which they tell me I am allowed to hang on to for a bit as they are not issuing fines at the moment! It is described as an international best seller ( I'd never heard of it) and was written by an American doctor called Michael Greger. It was published by Pan (paperback) in 2015.
It is an evidence based book called 'How Not To Die - discover the foods scientifically proven to prevent and reverse disease'. Detailed, but easy to read for a nonscientist like myself. I have found it illuminating - and intend to buy copies for my ACs if I can. Any of the rest of you read this, or indeed anything else on nutrition which has made you change the way you eat/feed your families?

CBBL Wed 02-Dec-20 15:53:21

My hubby too, has a "sweet tooth" and loves biscuits/chocolate etc. We are both diabetic. He has now been persuaded to eat the dark chocolate wholemeal biscuits, and one packet last more than a week. I do all the cooking, so he gets well balanced, often vegetarian meals a (we both love vegetables). He has a sandwich for his evening meal, as our cooked meal is eaten at lunch time. I prefer something hot, such as eggs/meat/quorn with tomatoes, or just soup - no bread. He eats toast or porridge for breakfast. I think he does reasonably well and do not begrudge him a packet of KitKats every other week. Sometimes he even volunteers to do without them!